Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2003 3:16:32 AM EDT
New York State scares the hell of me right now for a bunch of reasons but the 50 ban seems to have raised it's ugly head...

www.assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A07039

Anybody make sence out of this?
05/27/2003 ordered to third reading rules cal.154??????

Please email with any clarification if you know what this means....

Thanks

[email protected]

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:03:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Kiss your 50's good bye.  

I hope that is doesn't pass.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:21:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Bans the sale, use or possession of 50-caliber or larger weapons and directs  
the division of state police to embark on a program whereby persons currently  
in lawful possession of such weapons may be reimbursed for the fair market    
value thereof upon turning such weapons in to a designated officer.

And how is the state of NY going to pay for this?  They are quite fond of passing laws that don't cost them anything, but they'll have to fund this one which means it won't pass.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:30:40 AM EDT
[#3]
How much did they spend for ballistic fingerprinting? A system that does not work?

Frig, they don't let cost get in the way of stripping you and I of our rights....

Anybody here belong to SCOPE? Is this a decent outfit to channel one's efforts thru?

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:32:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Goodbye 10 ga. shotgun.

Bans the sale, use or possession of 50-caliber or larger weapons and directs
the division of state police to embark on a program whereby persons currently
in lawful possession of such weapons may be reimbursed for the fair market
value thereof upon turning such weapons in to a designated officer.

You mean that they will pay people money. Ive never heard of that happening before. lol.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
How much did they spend for ballistic fingerprinting? A system that does not work?

Frig, they don't let cost get in the way of stripping you and I of our rights....

Anybody here belong to SCOPE? Is this a decent outfit to channel one's efforts thru?

SCOPE is a fairly large organization....Kind like a mini NRA on a state, rather than national level. Most of their events, and influence revolve around Albany ot the city. One thing, they arn't ALWAYS begging for money to fight the latest gun rights legislative emergency. I've been a member for several years.
www.nysrpa.org
1-800-4NYSRPA
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:26:36 PM EDT
[#7]
For what it's worth, I haven't heard much about this around the capitol...
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:52:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, I checked the list of the sponsors of the bill.  It does not surprise me that they are all Democrats and the majority of them are from NYC.  The Democratic party has a little over a 2 to 1 majority in the NYS Assembly (102 to 48) While the Republicans have a 37 to 25 majority in the NYS Senate.  If this reaches Pataki's desk I have no doubt that he will sign it.  I fired off a bunch of emails which will be followed by letters to the bill's sponsors.  Luckily my assemblyman is a Democrat that believes in and votes consistently for the RKBA.  If this passes, what's next?  .40 caliber rifles and hand guns?  .30 caliber rifles and handguns?  Etc.  Get the picture?  
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:28:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I received an email from Ken Mathison the president of SCOPE...

He writes....

"It means that it could come to a vote at any time which is likely this week.  Fortunately this bill, should it pass the Assembly, will have little chance of clearing the Senate Codes committee and will most likely die there as it has in previous years.  I did send a fax to all Assembly members over he weekend urging them to vote no on this bill."

So, SCOPE was on top of this, as well as the rest of us should. This caught me off guard and I intend to not let it happen again. The 82A1 will not allow it!

For those that would be interested in a grassroots, 3000 member strong New York Organization  
scopeny.org

Drop a note to your representives and make your voices heard....

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:39:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
For what it's worth, I haven't heard much about this around the capitol...

Well, I'm sure that Elmer Pataki, that staunch Republican supporter of the Constitution, a friend to hunters everywhere, would refuse to sign such a blatant piece of unconstitutional blather, should it slither across his desk. Right, Hiram?

Hiram?

Oh HIIIRRAAMMMMM?

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Ummm SP... you know damn well I have never supported gun control and part ways with the Governor on this issue.  Keep in mind, he can't sign shit into law that isn't passed by the Shelly Silver Republicans in the Senate...
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ummm SP... you know damn well I have never supported gun control and part ways with the Governor on this issue.  Keep in mind, he can't sign shit into law that isn't passed by the Shelly Silver Republicans in the Senate...

One can only hope that there are no Republicans in the State Senate that would even consider this bill.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:49:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Keep in mind, he can't sign shit into law that isn't passed by the Shelly Silver Republicans in the Senate...

And this reassures me how, exactly?

Hiram, I know you're a gun-nut and all around good fellow. But I do question your sanity. After all, you choose to spend your time around politicians!!!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Keep in mind, he can't sign shit into law that isn't passed by the Shelly Silver Republicans in the Senate...

And this reassures me how, exactly?

Hiram, I know you're a gun-nut and all around good fellow. But I do question your sanity. After all, you choose to spend your time around politicians!!!

Because if I didn't it would now be illegal to possess a Ruger 10/22 in the State of New York...  How's that for starters?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:00:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Because if I didn't it would now be illegal to possess a Ruger 10/22 in the State of New York...  How's that for starters?

A 10-22 is already effectively illegal for some of us in the state.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:24:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Hiram? Don't you mean Joe Bruno? I coulda sworn that Silver was the Assembly leader and is a Dem......
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:15:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Helldog, I know it is really early in the morning...  or maybe really late at night depending on how late you have been working...  but I meant what I said.

Everybody blasts the Governor for not being Republican enough, and often times with good reason.  But the Senate is overwhelmingly Republican and yet we get shit like the Sexual Orientation Non-Discrimination Act, the Assault Weapons Ban, Rent Control, tax increases, overrides of the Governor's budget vetoes, medicaid funding for abortion and lord knows what other liberal laws.

So, yes, I meant it when I called the Republican conference in the legislature "Shelly Silver Republicans."  It is a phrase I coined in disgust and is actually gaining popularity in political circles.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:05:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Sure Rochester has Galyans and Gander Mountain, but Syracuse still has the price leader home of the $ 750 Glock and the $ 50 transfer, if you beg Bet everyone around here knows who that is

Sadly, they are just about the only show in town...

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:13:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Funny, I think of Pataki as a "Shelly SHilver Republican." I knew exactly what Hiram was referring to.

Hiram, any idea who may run on the Republican ticket during the next election if Elmer calls it quits? I see Spitzer (Schumer-light) is geering up on the Dem side.

Either way, working, freedom-loving folks in NY are probably going to take it in the shorts...

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Maybe..... just maybe Bill Clinton will dump his mayoral aspirations and provide NYS with the style leadership we have endured....

We can't get any worse.....
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Wouldn't that be special.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#24]
We don't have a really strong candidate unless Rudy steps forward.  There has been talk of Congressman John Sweeney, State Senator Balboni and a couple others.  Rudy is our best choice, Sweendog is a distant second in my opinion... doesn't have the statewide recognition he needs yet.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:05:00 AM EDT
[#25]
If Rudy is our best choice we are still looking at "the lesser of two evils" candidates.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top