Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/14/2003 11:22:01 AM EDT
The company I work for has given me two choices.

1. Accept a RIF package.
2. Accept a relocation package to Alpharetta.

I have been given 4 days to decide my families fate.

The packages are about even in compensation. I just have to choose between the hassle of job hunting or house hunting.

I know what the job market in Austin, Texas is like. But I haven't got a clue about housing and living conditions in Alpharette and the surrounding areas to the North of there. My brief internet search indicates Gainsville should be significantly cheaper and close enough to commute to Alpharetta.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 11:31:16 AM EDT
Alpharetta is expensive. Gainsville can be. Gainsville to Alpharetta isn't exactly a painless commute.

That is all for now. I'm about to leave Alpharetta to go home.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 11:35:43 AM EDT
1) what's an RIF package?
2) We may be losing you?!?!?!?!? That's not good!

DPeacher, I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do. Keep us updated!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 11:45:20 AM EDT
IMO, I'd rather live in Austin than Alpharetta anyday, not that we don't want you here or anything but Austin is cooler (more cool). Soccermom Central HQ is in Alpharetta.

It is a bit expensive and their city council is a joke.

Traffic sucks.

I know I sound bitter but that is how I see Alpharetta, I used to work there and I'm glad I do not anymore.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 11:49:40 AM EDT
Dude, hop on over to East Cobb County. House prices are kinda high, but value appreciates consistently every year, taxes are low, and the schools are good. Walton High School, Wheeler High School, and Pope High School usually rank among the top schools in GA. It is also close enough to Alpharetta that the commute should be relatively pain free. Commuting from East Cobb to Alpharetta in the mornings and vice versa in the afternoons should be against the flow of traffic. Oh, did I mention cheap gas and 5% sales tax?

Ghost
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 11:51:24 AM EDT
It seems everybody is moving to Ga. Anyplace on the north side next to 75 or I85 will take you north or south into the city pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 12:28:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By the_reject:
Alpharetta is expensive. Gainsville can be. Gainsville to Alpharetta isn't exactly a painless commute.

That is all for now. I'm about to leave Alpharetta to go home.

Alright, now I'm home. I live in Suwanee, 10 miles east of Alpharetta. Yet it takes me 45 minutes to get home.

GA 400 (well, traffic in general) is a pain in the ass. Best place to live in regards to Alpharetta would either be Roswell/Sandy Springs (to avoid rush hour traffic, but still close by), or Cumming (even Dawsonville, for that matter) to the north (for better housing prices). That is, unless you WANT to commute through really crappy traffic.

The Alpharetta city council tries to legislate anything it thinks it can. The local kids get bored and go on vandalizing sprees - last group of kids were responsible for hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage.

Overall, too much money, not enough sense.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:18:21 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies!

Let me hear some more.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:21:24 PM EDT

If your job prospects are good in Austin, and if you don't have a lot of time with the company to protect for retirement, my opinion is that Austin is a better place for a lot of reasons. GA state income tax. Personal property tax on cars at tag time. Traffic, though I35 in Austin is not great either. Housing prices are comparable, but more choices in Austin at reasonable prices. Alpharetta is a part of big big Atlanta. Not a bad town as giant towns go, but you may cut your wrists here before you get used to the traffic.

That said, Alpharetta is a lot better than Austin with no job and no prospects. Hope it works out for you.

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:37:44 PM EDT
Look at Duluth, Alpharetta's cheaper neighbor. Cheaper housing and much cheaper taxes in Gwinnett County. You will pay about 40% of the property taxes that you will pay for the privelage of living in Alpharetta.

Scot
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 3:32:02 PM EDT
my brother-in-law lives in Alpharetta. used to go visit and he would send the wife and me to the store in Crabapple. we said we would like to move to Crabapple (this was like 20 years ago), i hear it ain't small town Hooterville anymore.

ps RIF is government talk-----Reduction in Force
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 3:35:36 PM EDT
I would never buy property in Fulton County. Alphretta is in Fulton County. You will be sending your tax dollars (lots of them) to help pay for all those wonderful (not) city programs in Atlanta (which is mostly in Fulton county).
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:29:00 PM EDT
You may want to look into Nothern Gwinett county (Buford) or Southern Hall county (Flowery Branch). Taxes are cheaper, and traffic dosen't suck nearly as bad if you know the back roads well.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 2:05:19 AM EDT
Don't listen to all of these Chicken Littles that frequent the Georgia Forum. Metro Atlanta is one of the cheapest Metro areas to live in anywhere in the USA. Alpharetta is on the expensive side for Atlanta, but may not be that bad compared to Austin. Gainsville has a large hispanic population, so you may feel like you are right back at home in Texas.

I travel all over the country and I am always glad to get back to Atlanta. It is a great place to live and the music scene is decent (not as good as Austin). I have lived here for 11 years and have really enjoyed it.

Oh, and by the way, traffic does suck in Atlanta.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 11:06:14 AM EDT
Thanks again to all who have replied!

I was just informed late last night that the Alpharetta option was cancelled by corporate real estate. It appears the cost of paying out the the current lease in Austin coupled with the cost of relocation packages does not make good business sense at this time.....Of course they could reverse that decision at anytime or choose to do something else altogether. It is still quite possible that the move could occur in another year or three.

Welcome to Verizon's Corporate America roller coaster!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:37:15 PM EDT
If you do relocate, don't live in Alpharetta. Alpharetta is in Fulton County, which is the county that Atlanta is in. Taxes, car insurance, etc are all more expensive in Fulton County for that very reason. I live about 10 miles north in Cumming (Forsyth County) and used to work right off of Windward Parkway in Alpharetta. I could get to/from via backroads w/o having to touch the interstate.

Definately let us know if they change their corporate minds next quarter/fiscal year. Be glad to help you out as much as possible.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:08:15 PM EDT
Does that mean your job stays in Austin, and so do you?
Top Top