BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 11/22/2006 2:09:33 PM EDT
February 17, 2007

Give Phil a call: 832.274.8549

OK Houston Crew and anyone else who is interested:

1. We are having the FOURTH (yes, can't believe it myself) annual Houston ARFCOM Crew's New Years Eve Day Shoot.

LOCATION: The Impact Zone in Brookshire. This is a nicer place to shoot that the SHNF. It is a private club, but the owner welcomes our attendance. He is asking for $15.00 a person to shoot. For $15.00 the Houston ARFCOM Crew gets to help out the most NFA, EBR and IDPA friendly range in Houston:

Entry Fees:
Members: No fee, we already paid
Non-Members: $10.00 for all day- Phil is re-working the bays, adding shelter in each bay and raising hte berms. He also has a 200yd range in the works.

There will be skeet shooting & a Rabbit machine.  

Time: 12:00 noon until night

NFA Weapons:
a. Have your paperwork with you. Any Illegal NFA weapons and their owners will be sent packing. Those of us that have legal NFA weapons do not want to see the illegal shit or be associated with it.
b. If you have Full Auto, Keep it under control. Keep it under the top of the berm.
c. If you want to shoot some full auto, refer yourself to the ammo section below.
d. DO NOT SHOOT STEEL WITH A RIFLE

Facilities:  these have come a long way!
1. ROAD: Its passable in a car.
2. COVER: There may be some cover depending on the bay that we are in.
3. CHAIRS: Bring field chairs
4. RESTROOMS: Porta Potties and the field

Range Rules: If anything I post conflicts with Phil's rules, then his rules apply unless he approves a variance from the posted rules:
1. Variance #1: Fruit is OK if shot on the berms
2. Clay pigeons are allowed

1. AMMO:
a. No Tracers- it scares the cows, the donkeys, the neghbors & the chickens.
b. Bring your own ammo and lots of it.
1. If you want to shoot machineguns BE COURTEOUS! Stop at Wally World and get Winchester value packs in 100rd boxes (.45 acp and 9mm preferred along with 5.56mm) and bring your own. Most of us who have machineguns like to share them, BUT it gets expensive feeding my machinegun habit and your machinegun habit at the same time.

2. If you are going to shoot a dealer's machineguns- offer to buy his ammo or make a generous donation to him so he can maintain the wear and tear on his firearms.

2. TARGETS:

3.  If you don't get this, keep reading it until you do.

2.  TARGETS:
a. DO NOT SHOOT THE STEEL TARGETS with rifles! Read below! Not only does it piss Phil off because he has to patch holes in his targets, but rifle bullets hitting steel plates at 50 yards have a nasty tendency to change direction and head back toward the firing line at lethal velocities. DO NOT SHOOT THE STEEL TARGETS WITH RIFLES! Get it?

b. No computers, TVs, VCRs Etc. Leaves lots of small sharp peices of trash that Phil and I will have to pick up.
c. CAR and AIRPLANES: These are allowed if you haul them out with you at the end of the day! Anyone got a King Air they want to get rid of?
d. Fruits, Vegitables, Watermelons: As Phil plans to re-seed the berm in a few months, these are encouraged. Just take the watermelon rinds with you.
e. Clay Pigeons: These are OK also
f. Paper targets and hangers: Bring your own!

3. SAFETY:
a. The Buddy system will be used. When you come off the line, have the guy next to you visually check you chamber to verify that it is empty. Guys, this is simple. Have your buddy verify clear when you come off the line!

b. See below for a more detailed look at the safety rules!

c. KEEP YOUR FREAKIN' FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER and the MUZZLE pointed down at all times!  

d. DO NOT SWEEP ANYONE WITH THE MUZZLE OF YOUR WEAPON: Muzzle discipline is of paramount importance! We all know it, so practice it!

e. BUMP FIRING: No Bump firing

f. NO LOADED WEAPONS BEHIND THE LINE! Again, load and unload on the line! Remember, a few shoots back, someone put an M-16 in the rack with a round in the chamber!

g.  THE BUDDY SYSTEM:  Since someone put an M16 back in the rack with a round in the chamber, Shooters will have the man, woman or child standing next to them confirm that their weapon is empty & unloaded by visually inspecting the chamber and verbally confirming that they see it is unloaded.  And yes, we have a photo of two someone's manhandling that M16 behind the line after it was picked up off the rack.

4. BBQ:
a. Phil has at least one grill that holds at least 5lbs of charcol.
b. Bring stuff to grill!

5. Drinks: Bring what you will need with you!

6. Common Sense:

a. We can have a lot of fun out there, but EVERYONE must exercise common sense.
b. DO NOT SHOOT THE STEEL WITH RIFLES! Anyone not get this by now? It keeps happening and its dangerous to me, Mrs_SC-Texas and everyone else. It also destroys the steel and pisses Phil off! This is bad JU-JU- GOT IT YET?
c. The most effective safety for your weapon is your BRAIN! IS IT ON?
d. We will have range officers: Listen to them and follow their instructions.

7. Activities:: These are the proposed activities

1. A. Bay 1: Line Abreast- pistol- steel targets
    B. Bay 2: Line Abreast-Rifles
    C. Bay 3: 3 gun
    D. Bay 4: IPSC stage
    E. Bay 5: Clay pigeons: SMGs and shotguns w/ Rabbit thrower
    F. We will have regular cease fires to change targets, unlike last year.

Phil Oxley's E-Mail: [email protected]

Phil's Cell # is (832) 274-8549. Feel free to call him.

The Impact Zone's Website: www.theimpactzone.us/

DIRECTIONS to the Impact Zone:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take I-10 west to the #732 Brookshire exit, turn right/north to old 90, turn left/west and go to the second light, Hwy 359 and turn right/north, follow 359 to the town of Pattison and the junction of FM 1458 & 359 (flashing red light) turn right/north and follow 359 to the junction of Hwy 529, turn left/west and go 1.7 miles to a S curve, 1/2 way through the curve will be KERR rd on the right just past a power line station, take a right/north and go 1. mile to 10878 KERR rd Black mail box on the left side of road the gate is on the right, a pipe gate with 3 board pannels.

MapQuest Map & Directions: Map to Impact Zone

As you can see on the map, the Impact Zone is 50.1 miles out of downtown Houston.

UPDATE:

On New Years eve Day, we will be hosting an MG shoot at the Impact Zone in Brookshire, TX.

I met with the owners and the gameplan is this:

1.  The Beltfeds & Rifle caliber MGs will have their own bay.
2.  AR-15s and other Semi rifles will be in another bay.
3.  The big bay will be set up for a Rabbit shoot (SMG & Pistols) & Rifles when the rabbit shoot isn't going.  ($10.00 to enter, winner splits the pot witht he range).
4.  One bay will be set up with self re-setting steel targets.  This will be a Subgun & pistol only bay i.e. NO RIFLES).
5.  3-Gun Match/IDPA type course in the last bay.
6.  Clay pigeon for the shotgunners on the end.

There are three BBQ pits for those who want to cook.

Parking:  Unlike the previous years, parking will be in the field in front of the bays.

EXCEPTION:  If you have NFA- especially beltfeds, you can park in the last bay.  Phil or I will direct you down to that bay and get you parked so you can set up.

SAFETY ISSUES:  
1.  The buddy system will be in place (see #3- we had an M-16 with one in the pipe stuck in a rack a few years ago).  
2.  MUZZLE DOWN:  Self explanatory
3.  Tag-Outs (in the form of Zip ties) will be used wihen carrying arms off the line.  Onc the guy next to you has confirmed that your chamber is clear, the mag is out and the safety is on, a ZIP tie is to be placed in the chamber and the bolt closed on top of it.  This obviously provides a visual check and confirmation that the weapon is clear.

VENDERS and AMMO on site:
1.  A local ammo shop may be joining us to provide ammo.
2.  A local gun shop may also bring ammo and parts.

Food:
There is a new restaurant and bar a few miles from the range so that gives us two choices for food:
Repkas
The Thirsty Parrot
Link Posted: 11/22/2006 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Here are the pics from the 2005 shoot: Atomiclabrat.com

Link Posted: 11/22/2006 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I will be there.  Will be good to see everyone again.

Howard
Link Posted: 11/22/2006 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#3]
My girlfriend and I were reading this thread and from out of no where she says "oh yeah.......i wanna go."  

She likes all the machine guns.
Link Posted: 11/22/2006 7:24:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Id love to go, but I gots me a vacation.  Now to decide where to go.  Have fun. stay safe, and remember 10 fingers, 10 toes is what counts at the end of the day
Link Posted: 11/22/2006 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
WOW I never realized how close that place is to me...
I may have to get a membership

Anywho the shoot sounds like fun and I plan on attending.
That said.....

DON'T SHOOT THE PLATES WITH RIFLES!!!!
Link Posted: 11/23/2006 2:51:54 AM EDT
[#6]
What about shooting the plates with a pistol caliber rifle

..and I'm pretty sure that I'll be there
Link Posted: 11/23/2006 5:57:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

yea that's fine.  the problem is the carbine ammo chews up the targets.
Link Posted: 11/23/2006 7:54:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yea that's fine.  the problem is the carbine ammo chews up the targets.

Gotcha, well I'll be there and I'll try and bring a few more ppl as well!

...and what is a rabbit machine
Link Posted: 11/24/2006 7:38:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

...and what is a rabbit machine

it rolls a clay pigeon along the ground.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2006 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Phil is talking about having a pot witha winner take all contest with th rabbit machine.

Classses:
1.  Pistol
2.  shotgun
3.  SMG.

DO NOT SHOOT THE STEEL TARGETS WITH RIFLE CALIBER WEAPONS.
1.  It puts holes in the steel
2.  It can cause spatter that reaches the firing line.
Link Posted: 11/24/2006 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I will be there.  Will be good to see everyone again.

Howard

Howard, my Dad and I will be out there again.  We recently bought a nice Garand, and I'll bring my Yugo Capture 98.

see ya there.

also to anyone who knows, can I still do the Carbine/handgun course with a 20" AR?

-mark
Link Posted: 11/24/2006 3:16:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Can I do the 3 gun course without optics, I just have irons for the time being on my AR, also do I need a sling as well?
Link Posted: 11/24/2006 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Will there be any MGs available for rent?
Link Posted: 11/24/2006 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Can I do the 3 gun course without optics, I just have irons for the time being on my AR, also do I need a sling as well?

you sure do ask a lot of questions.

when in doubt...  "BIG VILLAGE - BE QUICK - BRING PACKS!"
Link Posted: 11/24/2006 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you sure do ask a lot of questions.

when in doubt...  "BIG VILLAGE - BE QUICK - BRING PACKS!"

I have no idea what you're talking about

..and I'm very excited

A buddy of mine is bring his SBR AR and a suppressed 1911 so it should be a Hell of a time!
Link Posted: 11/24/2006 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

..and I'm very excited

A buddy of mine is bring his SBR AR and a suppressed 1911 so it should be a Hell of a time!

William W. Cooke was killed at the Battle of the Little Bighorn. His body was found close to his commander. Lt. Col. George Armstrong Custer, He was the author of the famous "last message" to Frederick Benteen, carried by John Martin, that read:

"Benteen. Come On. Big village. Be quick. Bring packs. WW Cooke. P.S. Bring Packs."

in short there will be plenty of guns and "Indians" to shoot.  just bring as much ammo as you can!  a few bucks to offer guys who have MGs to shoot might be helpful.  bring 9 and 45 as well as some .223, 308 and 12 gauge.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2006 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#17]
A history lesson is one of the many things you can get at the new years eve day shoot:)
Link Posted: 11/26/2006 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#18]
can I still do the Carbine/handgun course with a 20" AR?
Link Posted: 11/26/2006 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#19]
No, you have to have a carbine.  Rifles are not allowed.

But, if your 20" AR is a carbine, then I guess you can do it?

Is your 20" AR a carbine?  

Just kidding, sure you can do it, this isn't ASC!
Link Posted: 11/26/2006 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got 5 dozen bowling pins I can bring, are those OK for targets?
Link Posted: 11/26/2006 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Those swould be great!
Link Posted: 11/26/2006 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Figures...they aren't letting anyone off at my work on my shift that day or the next.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2006 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those swould be great!

just don't shoot them with the carbines.
they go straight thru and may not knock them over.
45acp, 44 spl etc. will work great on them.  not sure about 44 mag and 9mm
Link Posted: 11/26/2006 11:00:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll be in the houston area for X~Mas and New Years(if I'm not hunting)

I'm going to start stocking up on ammo again
(I seem to have lost all mine at the Hun farm)

so... its noon till midnight ? some night shooting sounds fun. Or are there lots of lights?

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#25]
There will be lighted and dark bays.

We can turn lights off for flashlight/low light practice.

Those of us that have NVGs & IR lasers will be playing with them.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Figures...they aren't letting anyone off at my work on my shift that day or the next.  

uh oh? Did i miss a posting?  My RDOs might be changing soon to sun/mon so the 31st is a sunday. Unless there is training or somthing I shouldnt have a problem. T33 got fired and I am taking his RDOs eventually.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
There will be lighted and dark bays.

We can turn lights off for flashlight/low light practice.

Those of us that have NVGs & IR lasers will be playing with them.

can we have an ATV bay?  
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those swould be great!

I was shooting some other pins earlier this week and 9mm knocked them down easily.  5.56mm would knock them down sometimes, but would pass through maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the time.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those swould be great!

I was shooting some other pins earlier this week and 9mm knocked them down easily.  5.56mm would knock them down sometimes, but would pass through maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the time.

what's the story on the bowling pins?  how do you get them?  how much do they cost?
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#30]
In.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
No, you have to have a carbine.  Rifles are not allowed.

But, if your 20" AR is a carbine, then I guess you can do it?

Is your 20" AR a carbine?  

Just kidding, sure you can do it, this isn't ASC!

awesome, otherwise I was just going to have to borrow someone's

I'm not even sure what now technically designates a carbine.  When I've read a few books on the introduction of the AR, they called it a carbine.
Link Posted: 11/28/2006 6:30:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Dude . .  . I'm just messing with ya!
Link Posted: 11/28/2006 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#33]
The Gunny and I will be there along with about 12 friends or so including the La. Redneck. So far we are looking at about 30mgs between us. Looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 11/28/2006 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
what's the story on the bowling pins?  how do you get them?  how much do they cost?

I got them from an LEO rangemaster that I shot with over Thanksgiving.  He had several hundred bowling pins and begged me to take some, so I fit all I could in my car.  Since I got them for free I wouldn't feel right about charging anyone else to use them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2006 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The Gunny and I will be there along with about 12 friends or so including the La. Redneck. So far we are looking at about 30mgs between us. Looking forward to it!

do you think he'll bring the STG?  I found some 7.92x33!
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 4:42:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Mark, I assume he will bring that one along with the MG-34, MG-42, MP-40, etc. We will also have multiple M16's, Thompsons, an MP-5, FN-FAL, BAR, Grease Gun, 1919, M-60's, AK, M-14, M79 & XM148 Grenade Launchers, etc.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#37]
height=8
Quoted:

was LA. Redneck the one with the ZB26 and Beretta 38 last year?
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#38]
That was Chris J. He is at Ft. Polk. Don't know if he is going to make it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#39]
I will also bring the PPSH 41.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Shane-82, you are my La. Redneck!
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 11:47:58 PM EDT
[#41]
hopefully i'll heal up in time to make this one!
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Ok, I can possibly have shirts for us.  My friend said he could get them to me by the shoot.  just say yes (and size) if you want one.

Still thinking about what the design will be.

Also, will only do one color this time, Black or White (tell me what you prefer).  So they can be made faster and get to us faster.  

-mark
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#43]
would anyone be interested in a "box of truth"?  i have been thinking of building one of these for testing on my 500 S&W.  if so i will try to have it ready by the shoot.  

bring your own jugs.
Link Posted: 12/2/2006 2:39:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Pins can be had for +/- 1.00 each depending on where you go

Just find a local bowling alley and ask if they have some old ones they want to get rid of

Some times they will GIVE them to you...most of the time they will sell them to you.

If you aks for broken pins they will most of the time give them to you.

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 12/2/2006 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Box-O-Truth:  YES

Shirts- I'min for a couple (XX-Large)
Link Posted: 12/2/2006 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Box-O-Truth:  YES

Shirts- I'min for a couple (XX-Large)

2X?   I wear a 2X and am not near as "manly" as you
Link Posted: 12/3/2006 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#47]
I will take a 3X shirt.

Shane - The Louisiana Redneck
Link Posted: 12/3/2006 8:39:47 AM EDT
[#48]
I vote for black shirts again, and I will take an XL.

Howard
Link Posted: 12/3/2006 11:02:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Black shirt.  Large please.
Link Posted: 12/3/2006 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Looks like Ill be able to make this after all.  Black shirt, Large.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top