Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2016 10:56:46 PM EDT
Anybody know any trails around Clarksville? Not looking for anything too rough. I just bought a 4wd Cherokee and would like to go try it out. It's nice and new and I'm not looking to beat it up or anything but want to give it a whirl. Any suggestions?  

I just started selling cars for a living and I sold it to myself.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 11:38:00 PM EDT
Turkey Bay in LBL.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 9:22:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:01:00 AM EDT
Western KY PWY
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 2:25:44 PM EDT

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TnMike:

Western KY PWY
View Quote
Haha so true

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 10:17:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/11/2016 12:48:32 AM EDT by bdawg998]
I didn't do turkey bay, but I did do the back country trails at lbl.

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 2:35:58 PM EDT
Turkey Bay is probably a bit much for that vehicle.   Go HERE and order the TN dirt devil map and spend a day or two driving it.  It's a bunch of dirt roads and creekbeds down in Williamson county.  Well worth the cost of the map and the drive down there.  Perfect for that type of 4WD.

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 4:02:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/11/2016 4:03:08 PM EDT by aquaman67]
Originally Posted By FlashHole:
Turkey Bay is probably a bit much for that vehicle.   Go HERE and order the TN dirt devil map and spend a day or two driving it.  It's a bunch of dirt roads and creekbeds down in Williamson county.  Well worth the cost of the map and the drive down there.  Perfect for that type of 4WD.
View Quote

I dunno. I've taken this non-lifted 4 cyl Wranger to Turkey Bay. There's some mild trails too. ( and thanks for the link)

OP

There are plenty of YouTube videos taken a Turkey Bay if you'd like to preview the trails.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 9:47:46 PM EDT
It's way more capable than I ever expected it to be. It navigated some things I didn't expect it to. It would benefit from a greater approach and departure angle as I nosed the front-end into the opposite side of a little creek I was trying to cross. I just backed up and took it at more of an angle and made it across but I didn't really have any problems with any of the 300 roads I did at LBL. But I can see why they made the trailhawk the way they did on the front and rear end. I even did a couple of 400 roads. It went any where I wanted it to and some places I never expected it to go. I just hope someone comes out with a kit to put a small lift on it. Even if it's just an inch or so. But I've read why it's cost prohibitive to do so.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 2:16:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bdawg998:
It's way more capable than I ever expected it to be. It navigated some things I didn't expect it to. It would benefit from a greater approach and departure angle as I nosed the front-end into the opposite side of a little creek I was trying to cross. I just backed up and took it at more of an angle and made it across but I didn't really have any problems with any of the 300 roads I did at LBL. But I can see why they made the trailhawk the way they did on the front and rear end. I even did a couple of 400 roads. It went any where I wanted it to and some places I never expected it to go. I just hope someone comes out with a kit to put a small lift on it. Even if it's just an inch or so. But I've read why it's cost prohibitive to do so.
View Quote

I wasn't knocking your car, but it's not really designed for heavy off road use.  You will break it sooner or later, or get yourself in a situation you can't get out of.   Turkey bay does have some trails you can ride around, but there isn't much to look at.  You should definitely look into the TN dirt devil.  It's some beautiful off-roadish driving that won't tear up your vehicle.  You can burn up a couple days down there.

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:27:33 PM EDT
I'm not planning on doing anything too heavy. I know it's not a Rubicon. But I think you'd be surprised at what it will do. The fire/logging roads are about as heavy as I plan on doing. I know it won't rock crawl or anything and that's not in my plans.

I will check out what you posted though. Sounds like a good time.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:10:44 AM EDT
I did the dirt devil, nice scenery but the locals started getting angry last spring/summer because of the large Jeep groups rolling through every weekend. Since you are not in a Wrangler you should be fine though.

As far as Turkey Bay at LBL, you could do the vast majority of the trails when its dry. Wet, you will find your tires and lack of ground clearance a bit of a hindrance. This pic was after the water went down, you can see the ring on the trees where the previous level was at. Also will give you an idea of the depth since he is standing in the middle of it. This was on a main trail, not one of the more difficult rated trails.

If you go in the winter when they lower the lake levels you can drive out on some exposed places and around the shoreline that is not really possible any other time.

I would be a bit afraid to do much more than that in a new Cherokee.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:05:09 PM EDT

View Quote

The DD is fun.

The map is online if you look for it

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:01:45 AM EDT
I'm looking at getting something else to play with. Maybe a liberty or an old Cherokee. The problem with old Cherokees is that they're either expensive, like the wranglers, or if they're cheap, they're in horrible shape.

Anybody have any recommendations for an older vehicle, that's cheap and easy to lift? Anybody know any for sale?
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:37:09 AM EDT
I'm looking at getting something else to play with. Maybe a liberty or an old Cherokee. The problem with old Cherokees is that they're either expensive, like the wranglers, or if they're cheap, they're in horrible shape.

Anybody have any recommendations for an older vehicle, that's cheap and easy to lift? Anybody know any for sale?
View Quote

I've had several XJ's that I've built out.

1993-1995 are best for a purely wheeling rig. wider fender areas and don't have the weak heads like the 1998-2001 models.

cash for clunkers KILLED the used XJ market.

For a wheeling rig - a good engine and transfer case is all you need. everything else will get beat up
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:21:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

The DD is fun.

http://i.imgur.com/YbRWlaw.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The DD is fun.

Link to map?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:10:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bamaflinger:

Link to map?
View All Quotes

The DD is fun.

Link to map?

Yes, link please. Couldn't find anything
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:58:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/20/2016 1:01:11 PM EDT by FlashHole]

View All Quotes

The DD is fun.

Link to map?

I went ahead and paid for the map because some guy went to the trouble of making it.   It's not that much money.

As for your question about what else to buy for wheeling.  My suggestion is to save your money and buy the nicest stock TJ or XJ you can find/afford.  Yes, you'll pay a little bit of money for a decent one, but it will give you a good foundation to build upon without spending a bunch on maintenance type repairs.  Wheeling isn't cheep, so getting it right the first time will save you a boat load of money in the long run.

Top Top