Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/14/2005 7:58:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2005 3:29:17 AM EST by mr_wilson]
So no chatter yet on this story:

Toddler shot by brother, 4, still in critical condition
By MIKE GLENN
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

A toddler remained in critical condition at the Ben Taub General Hospital on Sunday, a day after he was shot in the head by his 4-year-old brother.

The shooting happened about 4:20 p.m. Saturday at the children's southwest Houston home in the 5600 block of Gatewood near South Post Oak Boulevard.

There were no new developments in the investigation, Houston police homicide detectives said Sunday.

The shooting was sparked by an argument that erupted after the 2-year-old threw a toy at his older brother.

The 4-year-old told police he shot his brother in the head with a .32-caliber semiautomatic pistol he found in his mother's purse.

Child Protective Services caseworkers placed the 4-year-old with his grandmother, pending the outcome of their inquiry.

"Normally, our investigations can take up to 30 days," CPS spokeswoman Estella Olguin said Sunday. "We haven't yet had a chance to see the 2-year-old or talk to their dad to see what he knows about the situation."

Olguin said the boy has been asking for his younger brother. "He probably doesn't realize the consequences of his actions," she said.

Because he is under 10, the boy will not be charged in the shooting.

However, Olguin said he will need counseling in the future. "You can imagine the guilt he's going to feel," she said.

Their mother was in a bedroom when she heard the gunshot. She told police she had the gun to protect her family because of a rash of recent burglaries in the neighborhood.

Police said the case will be referred to the Harris County District Attorney's Office. The children's mother could face criminal charges for making the weapon available to a child, police said.

Here's the link: www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/3083361

Mike

ps - I wondering how many times the 4 yr.old has seen his mom waving this 32 semi-auto around and how he knew where to get it........, hell at 4, my folks would've skinned me alive if I even thought of grabbing up one of dad's firearms......
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:37:14 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:14:43 PM EST
93.7 was talking about this this morning. I heard the old song and dance" this would never happen to me because i keep my guns locked up all the time and hidden from my children" speech and i say that a bunch of bullshit!!! Whats the point in having a gun for defense then? I don't feel that she is very educated on the use of a gun nor how to educate her kids. I say this because she had a gun, and thats fine, but way was it chambered? If you have little kids who are going to touch things as they all do then it shouldn't have been chambered because little kids can't work the slide on an auto and a wheel gun should have an empty chamber just incase they do pull the trigger. This may not be the veiws of richy anti-gun freaks who live in a gated community but it works. When they get old/strong enough to work it then it's time to teach them about gun saftey and only the parent know this. Every kid is different. I say it's definitely a parents responsibility and she was wrong. Punishment..... I don't know, but people need to learn gun saftey and not be so damn afraid of them but have respect. and common sense instead. I think gun selection has a lot to do with it also. A 12ga. with birdshot gives you a better chance of hitting your intruder and less of going through your entire house and hitting your wife,kid, neighbor, than say a pistol or rifle. I have a cheap little mavrick 12ga. that's a bed gun and it has a slide latch above the pistol grip you first have to push then pull the slide back. A built in childproof latch. But I say lets just learn from one persons terrible mistake and just think about it. Just my two cents
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:17:37 PM EST

Originally Posted By ARsR4ME:
A 12ga. with birdshot gives you a better chance of hitting your intruder and less of going through your entire house and hitting your wife,kid, neighbor, than say a pistol or rifle.

Go to www.theboxotruth.com and read the info posted there. A 19.5" 12-gauge has about 3" of spread at social distances.

If you don't want to aim, get a nuke. Everything else requires sights.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:30:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By mr_wilson:
Because he is under 10, the boy will not be charged in the shooting.

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH­!!!!!!!!!!

I could have zeroized some assholes when I was under 10 and gotten away with it!!!!!!!!

*eh* Opportunity knocked, and I was taking a dump....
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:05:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By photokirk:

Originally Posted By ARsR4ME:
A 12ga. with birdshot gives you a better chance of hitting your intruder and less of going through your entire house and hitting your wife,kid, neighbor, than say a pistol or rifle.

Go to www.theboxotruth.com and read the info posted there. A 19.5" 12-gauge has about 3" of spread at social distances.

If you don't want to aim, get a nuke. Everything else requires sights.

3" vs. .320" and the over penetration?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:27:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2005 3:28:05 AM EST by mr_wilson]
Duuhhhh, couple of these posts are not related to this thread.

As if the above isn't sad enough now we have...

Three children, home alone, die in fire
07:20 AM CST on Tuesday, March 15, 2005

By Reggie Aqui / 11 News

An overnight apartment fire left three young sisters dead and questions about why there were no adults with them.

The apartment fire took the lives of three young sisters who had been left at home alone, with no electricity.

It happened in the 14300 block of Wunderlich near FM 1960 in northwest Harris county.

When firefighters arrived around ten o'clock Monday night, they found that there was no electricity and there were no adults present.

"We understand that there was no power in the unit. It was turned off either today or yesterday, so there was no electricity in the unit, so it had to be something else that caused the fire," said Chief Hilland Hardy.

Firefighters say the blaze most likely started in the downstairs bedroom, and now believe it may have been started by a candle.

The two-year-old, five-year-old and six-year-old slept in the upstairs bedroom that was untouched by fire, but full of smoke.

The fire chief to suspects that the children may have died from smoke inhalation.

The family apparently moved into the apartment a few weeks ago.

Authorities took the mother and her boyfriend in for questioning Monday night. The Harris County Sheriff's Department. Homicide division is part of the investigating team.

On Tuesday morning, police charged the mother and her boyfriend with endangerment to a child because they left the three children alone.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:29:09 AM EST
damn mike.
you are just full of good news.

why not come out with us tonight and have a beer?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:35:17 AM EST
Sorry have other plans, trying to get squared away to help out w/ the NRA convention next month and the being an instructor for NRA air-rifle range & etc while the convention is in town.....

Mike
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:48:08 AM EST

Originally Posted By mr_wilson:
Sorry have other plans, trying to get squared away to help out w/ the NRA convention next month and the being an instructor for NRA air-rifle range & etc while the convention is in town.....

Mike

NRA air-rifle range instructor?
Glad to hear that. Without instruction those kids will shoot their eyes out!

Top Top