Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/4/2006 3:11:47 AM EDT
was thinking this would be fun and a good way to get some exercise.
I live in knox county, would like to watch some events to get an idea
if this is what I want. Any events coming up that allow the public to watch?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:25:31 AM EDT
Try to contact brass-hog... he can fill you in...
We had an informal two gun match late last year in Ottawa and it was a blast!

IM: www.jobrelatedstuff.com/messenger/sendMessage.html?uid=brass-hog
Mail: www.jobrelatedstuff.com/member/mail.html?id=60408
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:37:10 AM EDT
Tri-County has a match every month (spring through fall).

www.tcgc.net

Don't be a spectator, participate!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:35:49 AM EDT
I really want to get into shooting 3 gun next year.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:30:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tim84K10:

You mean THIS year don't you!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:02:22 PM EDT
TRI COUNTY GUN CLUB 3 gun match

1st match is sunday April 23rd , pistol classifer match / possible shot gun - rifle side match
details to follow

for more info email
threegun @ aol.com

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:27:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By joe1972:

Next year is here I suppose.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:41:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By joe1972:

Next year is here I suppose.

Come on now... just messing with you
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:13:23 PM EDT
Tri county gun club would be your closest match to watch but bring your guns. These guys are the nicest bunch around and would be happy to have you participate even if you haven't tried three gun before. I did what you are thinking. I went to my first match to watch and was dying to get out there and shoot but left my three gun gear at home.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:00:38 PM EDT
I'm itching for some Three Gun Fun. Haven't made it down to Polo to shoot outside since last Three Gun. plans for the trip SW fell through each weekend, but will go down weekend after this one for sure

Have been getting down to Pine Tree once a week (including earlier tonight) catching up on the pistol practice I neglected going battle rifle crazy this Summer

My girlfriend and I set up a little stage tonight w/shooting box, doorway, two big poppers, a drop turner, two small poppers and four standard IPSC

ran it 8 times each, me w/new single stack, her w/24c open gun

Looking forward to Pine Tree's four classifier match this Sun.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:03:25 PM EDT
I have a kimber 45 with 3 mags
ar 15 with 6 30 mags
thinking buying a used riot gun
probably an 870, but I found a real ugly
used mossberg in good mechanical
condition and very cheep
so what other equipment would a person
need?
I know plenty on ammo!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:37:19 PM EDT
get a few more mags for kimber. most stages 16-24 rounds, no more than 8 shots required from any shooting position. But when I run single stack, usually have 4 ten rounders, but show up ready to wear 6

stay away from leg drop holster, but as long as trigger is covered, you are good to go for fun

If I tried beating these IPSC guys, I'd be pretty frustrated

but just running along behind pack, working on what I need to work on, getting better slowly, being social, having fun, seeing alot of shooters that are really into their game--a lot more fun than standing still shooting paper or sandbag rifle shooting, but they are also fun too

As long as you are safe and show up for fun, you are good to go

ability to carry two mags for ar stages

ability to carry at least 12 shotgun shells, birdshot, but need slugs couple times a year

If you order now from 3gungear.com, prob. get by Spring
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:13:01 AM EDT
Once you have the minimum equipment, get out and shoot some matches.
There are tons of equipment out there that you can buy, and you could end up not using a lot of it. Go to a match with the basics, if you see a piece of equipment that looks like it would work well for you, ask the shooter if you could try it out. I don't think I've ever seen someone turned down. Now I doubt this will work at a big national match, but a local "friendly" match is a good place to see and try different equipment.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:53:56 AM EDT
How do you guys carry your AR mags and shotgun shells?

I have plenty of holsters and mag carriers for pistols but not for shotty or rifle.

Is a tactial type sling necessary for 3 gun?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:48:08 AM EDT
I have shot 3 gun at Polo (TCGC) a couple times. You don't need anything for your rifle or shotgun except ammo and one spare mag.

I just stuffed the shells into my pockets and/or borrowed someone's shell belt. Actually, the first one I shot I was squadded with Stopper and his dad and they were cool enough to let me borrow a shotgun.

For the AR stages I just stuffed a 30 rounder into my back jeans pocket. Stages only take 28-32 rounds anyway. Slings aren't necessary, most guys just walked up to the stage and uncased, shot the stage, and then recased their rifle/shotgun. It sounds like you already have enough equipment.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:15:10 PM EDT
I shot 3 gun for the first time last year at Polo in April. I don't think I missed another match for the rest of the year.
I've shot IDPA and USPSA for a couple years, but I really like 3 gun.
As far as equipment, start out very basic and see what works and what doesn't before you start spending money on stuff that won't work.
You will need a few magazines for the pistol. If shooting a 1911, I would think you need at least 6. You don't want to run out of ammo or worry about saving rounds in a stage. You also need at least a couple double magazine pouches. I use a KyTac IDPA type holster for my Glocks. Any reasonably priced holster will work as long as it covers the trigger guard.
For the shotgun, lots of guys use sidesaddles or belt holders. Start simple. The first match I shot, I used a trap bag. It worked.
For the rifle, you can shoot either optics or iron sights. I shoot an AR, so I use 30 round mags and just carry an extra 30 rounder in my back pocket. Sometimes I don't even need it.
I can't begin to tell you how much I feel this has improved my gun handling skills and confidence in my shooting ability. I've posted on this site before about competition. I shot from the bench for many years before I shot competitively. I now realize how much I was missing. Blasting at the pit is fun and all, but you really need to get out and shoot under different conditions to learn about what works and what doesn't. Don't be afraid to be the FNG, we all were at one point. Get out and do it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:50:36 PM EDT
def better to show up and have fun and see what we run shooting the stages along with us

we spend most of the Sat berfore setting up (and doing a lot of blasting after) I have been known to set up the 1919a4 w/M2 and do some Sat eve blasting w/ guys getting into the Three Gun mindset

so it's fun to have the great turnout. more the merrier

true, you don't need any mag holders for rifle... esp if you got beta drum or 40 round mag.

but what if jam in mag. good to have extra... always good IPSC practice to have an extra mag, in case you gotta dump one

I blur the line between tactical and competition gear. I keep trying new stuff...

but I like products from Calf. Competition Works (single AR mag holder, holds w/ elastic)
and 3gungear has hooked me up w/sweet gear... put 12 ga. on the tac. vest, shotgun buttstock and receiver, my forearm, on belt.... a sidesaddle and a belt holder ($30 ea) is what my girlfriend runs

w/ AK, I just slap 75 round drum in and Kobra on top
AR, 40 rounder w/ 2 30's on belt and EoTech
M14 30 rnd. w/ 2 20's on belt
HK91 2 20 round jungle clipped w/2 on the belt

hell, I'm ready for zombies, let alone a <40 round stage

If you need mag pouches, etc. for match just let me know when you register and I'll have it there

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:15:39 PM EDT
Sweet!

I can't wait to get to shoot another shotgun match with my Benelli M4.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:09:59 AM EDT
FYI
if you have Comcast cable , On Demand , OLN
has the 2003 3 gun nationals showing

some good video of what 3 gun is about

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:54:07 PM EDT
what shot guns do you guys use for 3 gun?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:33:29 PM EDT
for shotgun most use semi autos in 12 gauge , 20 gauge is min.

Remmy 1100 , 11-87 , Win. SX-1 or 2 , Browning Gold , Benelli M1- S90
Rem ,Win. and Benelli have factory competition models out

some use pump models and are good with them

the first time you have to go prone or shoot thru a low barrel with a pump
you will wish you had the auto
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:50:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cruzr180:
what shot guns do you guys use for 3 gun?

I'm going to use my Benelli M4.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:00:56 PM EDT
May I ask where in knox county? Im in Stark so thats not too far off. maybe we could get somehting going with some peoria or quad cities crew?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:58:30 PM EDT
Pine Tree had a record crowd for monthly match today. Took longer than hoped to shoot. Was def. good fun today. I don't make every shoot, but have noticed more and more guys making the trips for runnin and gunnin.

cruzr: never been a shotgunner, so showed up first match w/only shotgun I had: Mossberg 500 w/dual pistol grips and 5 shot tube. I did buy 590A1 and still use it. showing up is making me better pumpgunner. I need to spend some time practicing speed loading her though. But I'm jealous of Tim w/M4 Ben. If I had one, 590 would be sittin' in the safe at home.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:01:57 PM EDT
Is there any competions around the springfield area?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:41:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2006 4:44:21 AM EDT by brass-hog]

Originally Posted By jhc:
Is there any competions around the springfield area?

There is a great outdoor range just south of Springfield that I have a match at before called the Lefrhanders Gun Club. You might try and contact them to ask. Here is the man's e-mail address. His name is Don Steele.

donesteele3826@msn.com
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:18:39 AM EDT
Seeing Brass-hog shoot his Super X2 Practical addicted me to shotgun matches.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:11:09 AM EDT

Seeing Brass-hog shoot his Super X2 Practical addicted me to shotgun matches.

He was pretty impressive!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:26:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Kalahnikid:
May I ask where in knox county? Im in Stark so thats not too far off. maybe we could get somehting going with some peoria or quad cities crew?

3/4 mile sse of US 150 and the Dahinda turn off, as the crow flies.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:22:19 PM EDT
Ok just placed an order for 1000 rds of wolf m193
got an 870 riot gun just need ammo for it and the kimber
so I hope I can make this 4-18-06 shoot
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:36:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/10/2006 6:38:13 PM EDT by brass-hog]

Originally Posted By jrp454:
Ok just placed an order for 1000 rds of wolf m193
got an 870 riot gun just need ammo for it and the kimber
so I hope I can make this 4-18-06 shoot

If you are talking about shooting a 3 gun match in Polo at the Tri-county gun club you have the wrong month and date. There IPSC starts on the April 23rd. It is an all classifier match which would be good for all new and old IPSC shooters to attend to get classified. It includes a shotgun side match and no rifle. Cody and the rest of you that have been thinking about trying this sport, this is the time to go. Full blown 3 gun matches at this range do not start until May. Let's all meet in Ottawa and travel up together.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:41:28 PM EDT
I'd definitely like to give it a shot as well. I want to test out my new Remington 1100 Compmaster.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:56:37 PM EDT
thanks I wrote down the wrong date on the calender
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:07:20 PM EDT
hey brass, i couldnt leave my guests at the last 2gun shoot you guys had. id like to give it a try. are you or buffalo thinking about another non formal match for the near future?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:11:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pdynak:
hey brass, i couldnt leave my guests at the last 2gun shoot you guys had. id like to give it a try. are you or buffalo thinking about another non formal match for the near future?

Why not come out to polo?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:37:51 PM EDT
I just came from a shotgun match in Porter County, IN. It was a basic tactical shotgun match, shooting mostly steel and stationary clay pidgeons.
Shot about 80 rounds of shot and slugs in 4 different scenarios. Beautiful day and had a lot of friendly competition.
There's a lot of competitive shooting to be found with a couple hours drive from wherever you are in northern Illinois. It's great practice for developing gun handling skills.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:28:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 1:29:42 PM EDT by BLISH_LOCK]
2006 3 gun match dates

April 23 (pistol classifier w/shotgun-rifle side match)

3 GUN dates - May 21 , July 23 , Aug 27 , Sept 24 , Oct 22 , Nov 12

www.tcgc.net
threegun@aol.com
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:40:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pdynak:

Maybe later on in the summer. my wife and I are building a new house and are extremely busy.
Top Top