Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2005 7:21:55 AM EDT
I'm thinking about getting into 3-gun matches.  It looks really fun, but I need more info.  Are there matches on a regular schedule anywhere in the state?  I see the thread about Cavalier, but I don't think that's what I'm looking for.  Can somebody let me know what's available and where I can find more information about 3-gun.  Thanks in advance.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 7:53:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure what you didn't like about the thread on Cavalier's matches, but you might want to give their 3-gun "Rolling Thunder" another look. I've been in various shooting competition around central VA for over a decade, and this is one of the best, most well-run, and fun matches I have ever joined. It looks like Cavalier removed last year's match announcement and description from their web site (although the scores are still there), but an announcement should re-appear later in the year somewhere on:

Cavalier IDPA site

Also, Rivanna near Charlottesville has their 3-gun "Weapons Master" this year on May 21. Also top-notch organization and fun (I went last year and plan to go this year too). See:

Rivanna

Finally, Black Creek in far-east Hanover Co. has been trying to hold a 3-gun match every month for the past several months. I've not been to any of these yet because the drive is longer for me than to Cavalier's monthly IDPA (which I usually attend), so I can't vouch for it first hand. Might be worth checking out though. See:

Black Creek site

Hope you find something. It IS fun !!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I think I was looking for something more along the lines of an USPSA style match that doesn't require the use of concealment type holsters etc. that IDPA does.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Roanoke Rifle & Revolver Club (RR&RC) IPSC does some side matches, sort of a three gun spaced over two months or so (IPSC+shotgun, IPSC+rifle).  Or they did last shooting season.  You could contact Mark Steinle <[email protected]>.  The first match is Mar 19, and the email Mark sent doesn't mention a side rifle/shotgun match, but does mention some sort of side match (pistol I guess).
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#5]
There is no concealment requirement ... in fact, officially IDPA doesn't have 3-gun or any rules thereof.  

IIRC,  rolling thunder requires non racing pistols  i.e.  holster covers tg, most likely behind centerline of body, no extremely long mags.  Rifle and shotgun are not concealled either  they allow normal cap mags.  I'm always amazed at how much harder it is to seat a normal cap that isn't downloaded to 10 rounds.  stages are rifle only, pistol only, and shotty only, and then all three.

IIRC, weapons master at rivanna requires a 10 round max.  I think it is shot as single weapon match only (pistol only stage, rifle only stage, and shotty only stage)  I think the pistol stage is run as an IDPA match (goes to their top gun designation).

Black Creek has run several of these matches now.  Saturday will be another.  They have run a rifle+pistol,  shotty + pistol and shotty only stages (berms kind of dictate this arrangement).  No conceal.  Normal caps ok.  

All of these are a lot of fun.  

NRA range has a 3gun (IPSC or USPSA) match.  I haven't shot it yet (they are a 50 yard indoor range).  Pistol matches have great props, so I'm sure their 3gun is top notch.  I hear it fills up fast.  

Norfolk puts on a shotgun only match.  They run a great match, interesting props and good folks.  Range is smallish and they wring every square foot into something fun.

I sure wish we could get the black rifle day back.  That was where I started putting some names with some faces I meet here (oops, other way around heh).  Other than Cavalier, they were the only one I've been to that had all 3 guns in a single stage.

Anyway, I don't know what you have against concealment type holsters?  It's totally your choice, but I wouldn't let it keep me from joining in the fun.  It's not like there's any local competition/choice and they are not THAT expensive.

Forgot to mention the stuff down at "the range".  Fellow shooters go there at times.  As Tim said, it's not too far.  It  is more of a all day affair, and offers more of a paramilitary experience.  For instance, I understand that you leave your car that morning carrying everything you'll need for the day.  You are never to put stuff down (they'll take it!).  Only place around here that put on night scenarios.

HTH, and good shooting.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 2:46:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think I was looking for something more along the lines of an USPSA style match that doesn't require the use of concealment type holsters etc. that IDPA does.  MJD

If you need to stay confined to solely an IPSC format, Fredericksburg Rod and Gun has been pretty active there for a long time, including hosting at least a couple of national championships. I don't know if they do a 3-gun but it'd be worth checking out. I think Black Creek also still does IPSC although I haven't been for a couple of years, and they never did any 3-gun as part of the IPSC matches back when I was a regular.

Originally Posted By kdmoore
Anyway, I don't know what you have against concealment type holsters? It's totally your choice, but I wouldn't let it keep me from joining in the fun. It's not like there's any local competition/choice and they are not THAT expensive.

Second that. 3-guns will never be as widely available as your typical monthly local pistol matches, so a little more adaptation may be needed to get in on what is happening. I had so much fun at Rolling Thunder, the last thing I was worried about was not being able to draw a ported dot gun from a full race rig for the pistol part.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I sure wish we could get the black rifle day back. That was where I started putting some names with some faces I meet here (oops, other way around heh). Other than Cavalier, they were the only one I've been to that had all 3 guns in a single stage.

BRD was a darn good 3-gun match, and at the first two we did some of the stages again in the dusk/dark.  Tough to top that one.  I did the Cavalier IDPA with Templar's shotgun stage once and enjoyed it.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just shot Black Creek's 3 Gun match today, it was a lot of fun.

Definitely a little more free wheeling than the matches/stages that I can put on at Cavalier.

No concealment holster necessary, the guy that puts them on, Joe Fallis, comes from a USPSA background.

Very challenging and lots of fun too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top