Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 11:22:20 AM EDT

I'm curious what the 2 & 3 gun competition shooters are using at the matches.   I'm going to give my first one a go at Rio next month and I'd like to start practicing with what has a decent track record of working well.  

For my AR, a pretty much stock 14" Bushmaster M4, I've been shooting exclusively  PMC .223 just because it had a decent price and it was available at a shop near my home.   Their supply has dried up and I'm hearing no ETA on the next shipments.  

For my Shotgun, I picked up an 870 express home defense.   It has a 18" barrel with fixed choke.  I have no clue about what slugs work well or what is even appropriate to shoot from a short smooth barrel.  Heck, are folks using 3" for the extra knock down power on steel or is that just overkill?

Although, come to think of it, it probably doesn't matter what I shoot. :P  I'll actually have to hit the targets before it will matter.... *grin*

Pete

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#1]
for rifle i use Federal XM193.  as long as it works reliably in your gun, anything besides steel-case and gun show reloads should work, but i like the XM because its a hotter round and better for long-range steel targets (you can hit them all you want, but if they don't fall its not a hit.....).

for the same reasons, i use #6 shot in my shotgun.  i use standard (CHEAP) target stuff like walmart sells....
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Pistol... Winchester white box.

Rifle.... 193 (hot and accurate)

Shotgun.... whatever came in the one I borrowed pretty sure it was federal
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Rifle Ammo: Make a trip to Sportsman's Warehouse at Greenfield and US60... they have American Eagle 55grn FMJ (similar to the .223 ammo you use now) and Winchester Q3131A (a hotter 5.56 load). The Q3131A is about 10% more expensive, but will shoot a little flatter and hit the plates with a bit more authority. Don't get too hung up on hitting power though; at the last match at Rio I was reliably activating LaRue targets out to 300yds with Q3131A out of my 7.5" SBR (velocity is only 2480fps at the muzzle). Avoid Wolf though as it will let you down when you can least afford it to. Most importantly, whatever ammo you choose, take it to the range BEFORE the match day and zero using the Santose IBZ at 200yds. For 3-gun, you need to (1) be confident that your rifle is correctly zero'd, and (2) know where the bullet will hit relative to your sights at any range from 0 to 400yds.

Shotgun Ammo: Use whatever works in your shotgun. Even a sawn off barrel with #7 shot game loads will knock down most any target you will be presented with. I use S&B Heavy Field loads as a backup for any stuborn plates. Oh, and you'll need a few slugs.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I really appreciate the feedback.  

Good thing the wife is going out with friends tonight, looks like I have some shopping to do.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#7]
XM-193, #6 birdshot from Wally World, Winchester slugs (also from Wally), and either WWB or UMC bulk pistol ammo.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#8]
SR, what WalMart you hitting up for the Slugs?  
The one on Greenfield and US 60 doesn't seem to carry them.  For that matter the Sportsman's warehouse next door, doesn't carry the Subsonic Remington .22 LR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top