Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 8:02:47 AM EDT
So I was at a party last night and was talking to a Roselle Park officer fresh out of the academy and he was telling me that 30 round magazines are now legal in NJ.  I told him I am pretty sure he is wrong being that I have read the laws more times then I wish to admit.  His response was that it is a law that was just passed.  I asked where it was published because I'd love to get my hands on it and read it.  The response to that request was interesting.  He openly said that he was told by his instructors that the law will not be published publicly for at least a year so that the can "continue to screw people over."

So now I am horribly confused.  He has no reason to lie to me, I just met him that night.  He did not have an obnoxious cop personality and did not seem to be trying to show off about shit he knew nothing about.  So I see two options, either NJ is pulling more bullshit then we knew about or his instructors are even dumber than we thought possible, either way I need to move.

Just to make things more interesting, he finished the conversation off by saying that Christie and friends are moving to make NFA legal in NJ.  I laughed and walked away, I simply couldn't take it anymore, the pain was too much to bear.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Funniest thing I read here all day.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:22:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I was at a party last night and was talking to a Roselle Park officer fresh out of the academy and he was telling me that 30 round magazines are now legal in NJ.  I told him I am pretty sure he is wrong being that I have read the laws more times then I wish to admit.  His response was that it is a law that was just passed.  I asked where it was published because I'd love to get my hands on it and read it.  The response to that request was interesting.  He openly said that he was told by his instructors that the law will not be published publicly for at least a year so that the can "continue to screw people over."

So now I am horribly confused.  He has no reason to lie to me, I just met him that night.  He did not have an obnoxious cop personality and did not seem to be trying to show off about shit he knew nothing about.  So I see two options, either NJ is pulling more bullshit then we knew about or his instructors are even dumber than we thought possible, either way I need to move.

Just to make things more interesting, he finished the conversation off by saying that Christie and friends are moving to make NFA legal in NJ.  I laughed and walked away, I simply couldn't take it anymore, the pain was too much to bear.

I believe THAT COP is full of himself , and it frightens me that he has a badge and a firearm.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#3]
What if he is somehow right though (I highly doubt it)?  Where would one go to scour the records?  Maybe we are getting screwed just like how the rest of the US is getting screwed by the possibly non-existent Hughes Amendment.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What if he is somehow right though (I highly doubt it)?  Where would one go to scour the records?  Maybe we are getting screwed just like how the rest of the US is getting screwed by the possibly non-existent Hughes Amendment.

There are members here that are LEOs. They'll chime in with their input.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Well if his stupid ass instructor is telling him that shit, I can only imagine what other crap this new LEO was told in the academy..........
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Well if it was true then there'd be a sudden buying spree here that could infuse a little bit of money into the economy.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#7]
ok, pretend this guy did know what he was talking about, "continue to screw" WHAT people over?!? The ones that have trouble finding 15rd mags, or the small hand full (if that) of prosecutions they've had?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm hoping its true.  After all, my kids believe in Santa and the tooth fairy.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Am i the only one wishing what this guy said was true?

Obviously its not but hey, i can dream
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Am i the only one wishing what this guy said was true?

Obviously its not but hey, i can dream

Hell yeah! Like I said earlier, I'd put more money into the economy if this was true.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe he is an undercover troll...
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:43:20 PM EDT
[#12]
The day 30rnd mag are legal in New Jersey. You can get a CCW at your  local PD station. Where can you buy 15rnds mag.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The day 30rnd mag are legal in New Jersey. You can get a CCW at your  local PD station. Where can you buy 15rnds mag.

you make no sense...
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:56:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Hmm, I don't think thats right...

But I know I can buy all the 30's I want at the BX on base.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#15]
But carry them home and attract unwanted attention, you'll be in for the Mother of All Colonoscopies
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#16]
You could have at least waited until April 1st to post this.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Whats his name, so when i get arrested i can say he told me it was okay??  Maybe he is confused thinking it is now possible for "him" law enforcement to have a 30rd.  I looked into that as well and it is only for spacial trained and specifically authorized officers while in the performance of their duties.  As per Lawyer last week.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are members here that are LEOs. They'll chime in with their input.

First IM hearing of it and i keep a pretty close eye on the Firearms Laws....That said, you wouldnt BELIEVE the shit that is taught to these kids in the Academies...there's a REASON they go through 3-6 months of FTO before they are allowed to play solo.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Haven't heard that one at HQ, I seriously doubt that rookie is correct.  My last day is tomorrow and I'm turning in my 30 rounders.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
But carry them home and attract unwanted attention, you'll be in for the Mother of All Colonoscopies

Nah. We've had guys get pulled over/searched and also pulled folks over for one reason or another and it's no issue. Maybe its different for the non-active duty folks, but we buy them on the regular, and we're issued them too.

Its for official duty. I wouldn't try taking them to the range.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah. We've had guys get pulled over/searched and also pulled folks over for one reason or another and it's no issue. Maybe its different for the non-active duty folks, but we buy them on the regular, and we're issued them too.

Its for official duty. I wouldn't try taking them to the range.

Even as Reserves, we get issued 30 rounders and get to take them home. I bought a bunch of Pmags for duty as well because the USGI ones they gave me are shitty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top