Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2014 7:49:36 PM EST
I am building three 300 black rifles. I do not know much about the ins and outs of 300 black. Any good place on here to look for build specs and info ?
I am not sure on gas and recoil system set up. I may also go to a piston drive with my personal rifle.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:59:36 PM EST
Look in the alternative caliber section.

From what I found when building mine. 16"use carbine gas system. Under 16" use pistol. Piston doesn't seem to work.

Also a standard carbine buffer.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:02:51 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:05:33 PM EST
Good luck getting pistons and .300 BLK to work.

Anything under 16" use pistol systems. 16" use carbine.

Carbine buffers on 16". H2 on anything shorter.

Don't get cute with the gas system parts. Buy quality barrels with proper gas ports.

Wash rinse, repeat.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:14:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2014 8:16:23 PM EST by foreman2000]
well piston is out it was just a thought anyway...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:55:54 PM EST
What IKH sez.

Go with a Noveske barrel and their gas block
10.5"
SDN-6 and Subsonic
Learn to bake your own- more and more reformed brass available, A-1680 and 208s or 220s = +/-0.65/round
Fun.....
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:24:34 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Fire4Fxt:
What IKH sez.

10.5"
SDN-6 and Subsonic
Learn to bake your own- more and more reformed brass available, A-1680 and 208s or 220s = +/-0.65/round
Fun.....
View Quote

I am going with Rainier arms and Saker 762
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:13:48 PM EST
I would have gone with a rainier also, but with the 1:8 i thought the 1:7 would be better for the subs.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:32:35 PM EST
Serious question... What is the reason of spending the extra bucks on a high-end barrel in this caliber? My favorite shooting discipline is LR precision rifle, so I understand the accuracy aspect. But with the 300 AAC BLK, super-dooper-tighter-than-snot shot groups aren't my main concern.

Am I wrong in thinking that as long as the barrel can stabilize a bullet at the muzzle and keep a shot group of less than, say, 3 MOA, reliably cycle the action each time, and has threads concentric to the bore, that the barrel is "good enough"?

I've debated buying/building a short 300 AAC BLK upper for some time and I continue to have two dilemmas. The first is buy or build. There are some inexpensive uppers out there built with no name barrels. The second is (if the answer to Q1 was to build), which barrel? I've got a hard time spending extra money on a barrel that is only going to be 8"-10" long and chambered in 300AAC BLK with a maximum effective range of <200yds (subjective number, but a realistic one IMO) and with my only accuracy expectation of being minute of man at that distance and in. Or does the extra money spent on a barrel get something in addition to tighter groups?

Perhaps spending the money on a spendy barrel is right for some folks and just not right for me. I'm truly curious though, if there's something I'm missing.

OP, sorry for the derailment. Or perhaps someone will use my question(s) to provide some nuggets of knowledge for all of us.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:11:01 AM EST
Originally Posted By sawgunner2001:
Serious question... What is the reason of spending the extra bucks on a high-end barrel in this caliber? My favorite shooting discipline is LR precision rifle, so I understand the accuracy aspect. But with the 300 AAC BLK, super-dooper-tighter-than-snot shot groups aren't my main concern.

Am I wrong in thinking that as long as the barrel can stabilize a bullet at the muzzle and keep a shot group of less than, say, 3 MOA, reliably cycle the action each time, and has threads concentric to the bore, that the barrel is "good enough"?

I've debated buying/building a short 300 AAC BLK upper for some time and I continue to have two dilemmas. The first is buy or build. There are some inexpensive uppers out there built with no name barrels. The second is (if the answer to Q1 was to build), which barrel? I've got a hard time spending extra money on a barrel that is only going to be 8"-10" long and chambered in 300AAC BLK with a maximum effective range of <200yds (subjective number, but a realistic one IMO) and with my only accuracy expectation of being minute of man at that distance and in. Or does the extra money spent on a barrel get something in addition to tighter groups?

Perhaps spending the money on a spendy barrel is right for some folks and just not right for me. I'm truly curious though, if there's something I'm missing.

OP, sorry for the derailment. Or perhaps someone will use my question(s) to provide some nuggets of knowledge for all of us.
View Quote

I agree but all three will be 16" or 14.5" and all three will be used for game animals from time to time so yes being accurate is fair to the game.
As far as effective range everything i have read it has better ballistics than the 5.56 and 7.63x39. I am i wrong ?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:46:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2014 3:50:04 PM EST by ugagrad06]
Originally Posted By Fire4Fxt:
What IKH sez.

10.5"
SDN-6 and Subsonic
Fun.....
View Quote

I'd sell my sister's first born for some 1680 right now

i'm doing a 10.5" 300blk with a Ranier Arma Ultra Match barrel, UBR stock, and Vltor Vis-1 upper. Whole purpose is killing critters (hogs from a moving vehicle / helicopter and i'll be hunting deer out of a bow stand). I got all my components over a few months and got decent deals on them. Ranier had a great sale on the bbl a month or two back.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:25:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By sawgunner2001:

View Quote

Great question. As a silencer guy first I don't cheap out on barrels because of the expensive and hard to replace tube on the end of the barrel. You've kind of already covered this but I thought it was important.

While I do have other guns that I would prefer to have if a 600 yd shot needed to be made with a supersonic blackout it is nice to know that a 8-12" barrel is capable of that range. Our 12.5" guns are capable of MOA with match ammo. Or at least that's what the Navy told us.

The other reason is durability. I can only speak for our barrels but our nitrided barrels have the lifespan that I am looking for. If a good enough barrel lasts half as long I'd rather buy a barrel twice as much if it lasts twice as long. While a counter would be that most shooters won't wear out a "good as" barrel I can't fight that argument. How many users have really shot out a barrel? I was talking to a friend from another rifle manufacturer and they offer a lifetime guarantee on their rifle barrels. Why? Because no one ever shoots them out. It's a bluff they never get called on.

Lastly, I want to know that especially on a .300 barrel that it is built using the correct quality components (feed ramps) and gas port sizes. So many companies think that they know what they are doing and put the cart before the horse.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:21:55 PM EST
I've been thinking of building a 300 blk pistol with a 10.3" Daniel Defense barrel. I can get the barrel for $173, is that a good price? I haven't looked around much.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:45:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2014 9:47:19 PM EST by foreman2000]
What gas and recoil setup for 16" i was thinking midlength spiked t2 FA bolt carrier and flat wire spring. I want them to shoot smooth.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:53:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By foreman2000:
What gas and recoil setup for 16" i was thinking midlength spiked t2 FA bolt carrier and flat wire spring. I want them to shoot smooth.

View Quote

Carbine for 16" and longer, pistol for shorter barrels. Do you mean a Spike's Tactical barrel? I didn't know they were selling just barrels for 300 AAC, only complete uppers.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:30:29 PM EST
Sorry Spikes T 2 buffer. Why the short gas system ?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:37:24 PM EST
Normally I would repost my first post. But you apparently didn't read it the first time anyway.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:49:04 AM EST
Originally Posted By ikickhippies:
Normally I would repost my first post. But you apparently didn't read it the first time anyway.

View Quote
lol...gotta love the interwebs
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:17:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By ikickhippies:

View Quote

My bad guess it didn't reach my brain for some reason.... thanks for the reminder.
Top Top