Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 6:41:26 AM EDT
I just moved into a house in Louisville, a little south of K'ville a week ago. Tuesday someone broke in while I was at work and made off with a East German Makarov and a single shot 12ga. made by Baikal in Russia. The pistol I had left in my nightstand like a dummy, usually I hide it well but had it in there since Sunday. The shotgun was under the bed, I didn't pay much for either so I kept them around and not in a safe.

Somebody will be looking for 9mmx18 Makarov ammo as there was only one mag with the pistol. Another home was hit the same day nearby. I was going to install an alarm system with a BIG siren this weekend. I want a wireless system with just the horn as there are neighbors around who are home most of the time. My house is the only one visible from the road, the others are up on ridges on either side of the road, making it an easy target.

Anyone know about security systems? I can't afford too much but would like to have a loud audible alarm, possibly one that alets law enforcement. Any ideas would be appreciated. Ron
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear about your breakin. I got my alarm about 5 years ago. My house has 4 bedrooms 2 baths attached garage aprox.1900 sf. It cost me a little over $1100 to install wireless system. It is backed by cell service if phone lines are cut. I'm a retired phoneman and have made many calls to sites broken in to with power and of course phone lines cut. My neighbor was robbed at gun point while gardening with his son. That is why I got the alarm system with remote panic.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:36:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Thinking about hooking up a battery backup and hiding wiring and siren.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thinking about hooking up a battery backup and hiding wiring and siren.

Its possible. I installed security systems, cant tell you what to buy because what we installed was custom made. We dropped the wires down from the attic. Wireless would probably be easiest to install, and if you paid somebody, it would probably be cheaper too. You can go online and find a bunch of websites with all the options you would want. All the panels we installed had a battery backup. The system would dial into the home office (you had to pay a monthly service fee) every 30 minutes from your home phone, if that call was not made a cop was sent to your house. Some security companies install a cell phone device like the guy above mentioned.
Just look up the sites. I want to go wireless, for cheapness and easiest to set up. Its easiest to wire a house when its being built. do you have one or two story house? is it rental or do you own it?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:11:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I am looking into an inexpensive wireless system. I am renting the home and can take it with me later plus it is a piece of cake to install. I figure that and some trip-wired ordnance should take care of any more varmint problems.

The Makarov I had to call ATF about because I have a 03FFL. I bought it FTF a few years ago so technically I did not use my C&R licence to acquire it, I didn't know if it needed to be reported. The agent in Knoxville I spoke with confirmed that since I did not acquire it using my FFL it didn't have to be entered into my A&D records.I have heard conflicting stories about that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#5]
You are doing wrong

The correct way to lose firearms is in a boating accident.

You fail!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You are doing wrong

The correct way to lose firearms is in a boating accident.

You fail!

LOL
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Sucks man.  There are no more decent areas around anymore.  Everyone is suspect.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Just letting you know, there was a company called Homebridge contacted me last week. They sell contracts for ADT. The initial cost was $100 for hookup. Everything was wireless. For that amount you get three door contacts and two heat/motion sensors. I think the monthly monitoring was like $33. And that was charging me a little extra because I don't actually have a home phone. It was going to be hooked to my computer somehow.

Just thought you might want to look into them.

Terry
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:29:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Terry, I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I would consider a video surveillance setup also, chances are it's gonna be someone in your neighborhood that knows your schedule and the only way to catch them other than luck is probably going to be video, everything else is likely going to be a deterrent. I have a wireless system and would recommend you go to a local alarm company and get it installed with glass break sensors, then brace every window in your house on the ground level or ones that can be accessed without a ladder. Another suggestion is to get a good safe and use it, they are only good against quick burglaries but worth it I think, lock your home defense weapon up when you are gone then when you get home get it back out. Carry weapon is always out. Call me nut's but another thing I might suggest is to disable a cheap pistol (remove firing pin or if you reload make some dummies) leave it in a conspicuous place, the thinking is they may choose it over another weapon like a 14' butcher knife if you come home and surprise them.

If you get an alarm be aware that the commercials you see on TV where the bad guy kicks the door in and the alarm goes off simultaneously have to be set up that way and it is uncommon, it usually will register just like you are opening the door giving him 30-60 seconds to disable it, you can have it set up seven ways from Sunday and false alarms are usually from a bad install (shouldn't happen).

Thread from this site on video.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top