Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 6:28:42 PM EDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
If the entire thing needs to be rebuilt it would be cheaper in the long run to put the uprights at 8' foot on center that way standard sized lumber can be used and easily replace as it needs to be. Also easier to transport 8 footers than other lengths. I would be for some repair work and buy materials. i havent had much time to do anything at the range let alone shoot the last few years, but have some free time for the next week. I do have a genarator for power but if using standard sized lumber only thing you would need to cut would be the 4x4's and those could be cut ahead of time. Cross beams can be hung with decking screws and a cordless.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me call the grounds and maintenance guy run this buy him. We have a place to get our lumber from don't anyone spend your own money at this time. I also have a big work truck to pick it up and tool 18 volt stuff and gas framers get me a day or two to get the information.

Mark

Ok We can pick up lumber on Saturday does someone want to go with me to get it we can set up time who wants to work this week end and what time
Like I said I have work truck and should have all the tools we need lets rebuild 8' on center I need a lumber list or should I use the one MM posted plus I will buy extra stock so we have it on hand.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#1]
What is with the "also if you want to be a member" part?

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this going on this weekend?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:08:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll be out of town till saturday sometime.

I'm still planning to go out sunday around noonish though so just let me know.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:44:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What is with the "also if you want to be a member" part?

It would be a good way to meet  a sponsor come out and help work
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:58:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:09:04 AM EDT
[#6]
darn, i am out in colorado skking this weekend and following week(14-22nd)
if it is any time after that count me in on helping...
[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Can you clarify the policy concerning buying out a membership instead of working hours?
I would have to travel further than most of the Illinoisans to put hours in, my understanding is that buying a membership is a nogo for Wisconsinites.

Is there a copy of the club membership rules/regs you can send me?

TNX

bulletcatchR

If I can find my copy of the by-laws, I'll get you a copy somehow.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If the entire thing needs to be rebuilt it would be cheaper in the long run to put the uprights at 8' foot on center that way standard sized lumber can be used and easily replace as it needs to be.
Quoted:
lets rebuild 8' on center

Actually, I think spacing the 4x4 uprights slightly closer would be optimal so you can have more room on the 2x4 to screw to the 4x4.  Pre-cut 8' length lumber is actually 7'-10 5/8", not 8' (I'll confirm that length, but I'm 90% sure).  If you space the 4x4's at ~7'-5" wide and stagger the 2x4's I think it would work better.  We could also install some 2x4 lower if we wanted.  Is there a problem with shooting into the ground with this?  I know that it would be nice to place some targets lower to represent a crouching person.

Here is a drawing of what I'm talking about.

I'm not sure when I'm available on Saturday.  I am available on Sunday though whenever.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Quoted:
if using standard sized lumber only thing you would need to cut would be the 4x4's and those could be cut ahead of time. Cross beams can be hung with decking screws and a cordless.

The 4x4's shouldn't need to be cut at all, we can use them at the stand size length.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If the entire thing needs to be rebuilt it would be cheaper in the long run to put the uprights at 8' foot on center that way standard sized lumber can be used and easily replace as it needs to be.
Quoted:
lets rebuild 8' on center

Actually, I think spacing the 4x4 uprights slightly closer would be optimal so you can have more room on the 2x4 to screw to the 4x4.  Pre-cut 8' length lumber is actually 7'-10 5/8", not 8' (I'll confirm that length, but I'm 90% sure).  If you space the 4x4's at ~7'-5" wide and stagger the 2x4's I think it would work better.  We could also install some 2x4 lower if we wanted.  Is there a problem with shooting into the ground with this?  I know that it would be nice to place some targets lower to represent a crouching person.

Here is a drawing of what I'm talking about.
www.chicagolandpreludeclub.com/images/mugenlude/25ydframing%20copy.jpg

I'm not sure when I'm available on Saturday.  I am available on Sunday though whenever.

Nice drawing Mugenlude.  That's just what I did when replacing my fence and it worked much better than trying to get each horizontal board to line up on exactly half of the 4x4 post.  

Unfortunately, I can't help out this weekend.  I'm booked.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Unfortunately, I will be out of town this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Why can't you guys use box iron for the uprights.
I know that straight on would not work because of ricochets but why not at a angle.

shoot ---->    <> box iron,  kinda thing fill it with sand or even concrete. Drill some holes in it before you fill it for the bolts.

Sorry thinking this out as I type.

If it is filled it should last much longer and will not ricochet back at the shooter if it hits at a angle.
It will be much harder to shoot down if there is just a small part that people can hit dead on.

If this will not work then feel free to ignore this post.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Well if we don't do it this week end we can still pick up lumber on sat.

What do you guys what to do I will pick up materials and meet at club if we can get enough people to start
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Can you clarify the policy concerning buying out a membership instead of working hours?
I would have to travel further than most of the Illinoisans to put hours in, my understanding is that buying a membership is a nogo for Wisconsinites.

Is there a copy of the club membership rules/regs you can send me?

TNX

bulletcatchR

1000.00 buy in I think Wi res can do it also it was really set up for people that live farther away
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Mugenlude- there is a dimensional difference between a stud and a 2x4x8'. A stud is 92 1/4 inch long which is 7' 8.25". a 2x4x8' is only about 1/2" shorter than 8 foot in length. Just thought i would clairify that, its something i here alot actually people go in and ask for studs when they need an 8 footer or buy 8 footers when they need studs.

- While it might be easier to stager the top and bottom boards with they are all even all the targets will be on the same plane. if the uprights stay right 6 foot tall and the horizontals are spaced 36" apart you should be able to mount targets high or low enough for any position you want to fire in. This is the last ill say on the subect. Ill help build what ever Mark wants to do.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Mrk- I sent you a PM. Saturday is fine for me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:00:02 AM EDT
[#19]
lOOKS LIKE THINGS are changing dont think I can work this week but I m still going to pick up lumber some time this week and get to the trailer
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
lOOKS LIKE THINGS are changing dont think I can work this week but I m still going to pick up lumber some time this week and get to the trailer

As long as the materials are available by sunday I'll still show up sunday to work on this. Just let me know guys, either call me or whatever. I'll be off line till later saurday or sunday morning.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Mugenlude- there is a dimensional difference between a stud and a 2x4x8'. A stud is 92 1/4 inch long which is 7' 8.25". a 2x4x8' is only about 1/2" shorter than 8 foot in length. Just thought i would clairify that, its something i here alot actually people go in and ask for studs when they need an 8 footer or buy 8 footers when they need studs.

Thanks for the clarification rugger.  I think the best thing to do is size it from the studs, if we end up getting 8' length they would just overlap.

Quoted:
- While it might be easier to stager the top and bottom boards with they are all even all the targets will be on the same plane. if the uprights stay right 6 foot tall and the horizontals are spaced 36" apart you should be able to mount targets high or low enough for any position you want to fire in. This is the last ill say on the subect. Ill help build what ever Mark wants to do.

I think I understand what you are saying --> the optimal horizontal I drew isn't really needed because you can attach the top of your cardboard at that point and let it hang lower.  That makes since to me, I never though of doing it that way.  =)  

And by all means, add more comments if you have them.  Better to think it out/brainstorm now instead of after we build it.  =)

photoman - give me a call on Sunday when you want to head out there (my cell - 9 8 9 - 2 0 5 9).  I'm free most of the day.  If we don't have lumber we could start to tear the far left frame and pull the stacks out of the ground.  Where do we want to put the old lumber?

-Jason
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#22]
i WILL NOT BR ABLE TO GET MATERIALS THIS WEEK END
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:17:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Jason I'll be there at 1pm.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#24]
With the Smg Black Gun & Belt fed shoot coming up it would make sense not to start till after the shoot. Them belt-feds really tear shit up bunch of sick S.O.Bs(Jesting)I have talk to T.D. about materials and have the OK.
The range would be rebuild in the spring so A. WE CAN PATCH IT UP NOW Rebuild
Seems to me we should wait for warmer weather and do the whole range over a week end
Target Stands,Block House ,Some new cement on firing line, new gravel Photo man has a size he would like for training, seed the new part of berm . In the spring would be a better time to take on this project Please all input
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Patch up sounds fine. just let me know when.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Patch up sounds fine. just let me know when.

Sometime after KaBoom Fest
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:30:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Sounds good to me.  

In the meantime, if we could get a couple dozen 2x4s (8') we could rebuild some target stands on the 100 yds range.  There are only 2 stands that are still together.  

-Jason
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Sounds good to me.  

In the meantime, if we could get a couple dozen 2x4s (8') we could rebuild some target stands on the 100 yds range.  There are only 2 stands that are still together.  

-Jason

Mabey Saturday Morning lumber run?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm up for a lumber run on Saturday morning.  I IM'd you my cell number to get ahold of me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top