Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2006 10:10:36 AM EDT
Hey all,

Thanks for coming out and making my first build party so fun.  Special thanks to XJ & UXO2 for the use of the spot welder , HF press, trigger jig & barrel tools, without you, the build party would have been a bust!!  Even though we never got a finished product, I think we did pretty good.

I'm looking forward to the next build party ( mid - late April time frame??), maybe we'll get into some sand blasting and finishing next time   .  I did post some of my build pics on page 4.  All these builds look great!!!

Later,
Kyle

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm up in Florissant, getting ready to move to Cripple Creek.   I have parkerizing tanks, stands , burners and 100# propane tank.  Also have enough Palmetto concentrate for a couple dozen guns.  I've got a bad back and can't load this stuff in a vehicle.  

If the flats from the latest Weaponeer group buy come in, I might join.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:37:22 AM EDT
[#2]
That would be cool Stoner63a, it would be great to have you here.  I understand about the back, I've had 3 slip disc surgeries myself.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:15:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a double vertebra fusion to L5/L6 and L6/S1 last year.  I'm still having problems.

I'm getting two of the flats from Harlan's group buy.  I want to do one into an AKM and the other an AKS74U for a post-sample.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like I will miss out on this one too.  I wont be back from the sandbox until next month sometime.  Maybe I can catch the next one!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Looks like I will miss out on this one too.  I wont be back from the sandbox until next month sometime.  Maybe I can catch the next one!

Let me know when you get back from the sand box and I'll make sure you get to the next one, cool?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#6]
thank you very much!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Could I stop by to watch and learn?  Maybe I could get some suggestions on how to handle a problem with the one I have.

Lifesaver
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:38:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey Lifesaver,

Of course you can!!  
I have one now that's giving me a little grief.
Drop on by and see what's going on
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I will be out of town that weekend.  I will have to wait until the next build party to try and assemble my AK.  I can’t wait to hear how this one goes.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:34:10 AM EDT
[#10]

I can’t wait to hear how this one goes.  

Me too

Sorry to hear you won't be able to make it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't have the parts together, but can my roommate & I come to just watch too?

Want us to bring cokes or something?  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I don't have the parts together, but can my roommate & I come to just watch too?

Sure thing CSM.  Come on by and see what's going on!!!
Thanks for the offer on the Coke's, bring some.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure thing CSM.  Come on by and see what's going on!!!
Thanks for the offer on the Coke's, bring some.

I will be there.  Just send me directions.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#14]
What parts do I need if I want to play? A complete list would be great.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:12:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Parts Kit                    $100
Flat                             $12
Rivets                         $6
US Compliant parts  $72    (FCG, gas piston, muzzle break, pistol grip)

Total                           $190

The feeling of building your own AK47, Priceless

Get the kit from DPH Arms, Cope's Distr, Aim Surplus, Bocefus or Tapco
Get the Flat, rivets & compliant parts from Midwest Armory
Flat can be single or double hook, same for the FCG.

We'll have all the tools at the build party to make the receiver, parts & kit into a complete weapon, less the finishing of the metal.  I wouldn't suggest finishing the metal till it's been test fired.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Parts Kit                    $100
Flat                             $12
Rivets                         $6
US Compliant parts  $72    (FCG, gas piston, muzzle break, pistol grip)

Total                           $190

The feeling of building your own AK47, Priceless

Get the kit from DPH Arms, Cope's Distr, Aim Surplus, Bocefus or Tapco
Get the Flat, rivets & compliant parts from Midwest Armory
Flat can be single or double hook, same for the FCG.

We'll have all the tools at the build party to make the receiver, parts & kit into a complete weapon, less the finishing of the metal.  I wouldn't suggest finishing the metal till it's been test fired.

Thanks! Where is a goodplace to get the US Compliant parts? Is there room for one more at the build party?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Count me in as well.

I also wanted to pass along a source for parts kits here in the Springs.

The company is called Armory Parts Exchange and he took over the space where the Gun Vault used to be on Constitution (just off Powers in the strip mall behind McDonalds and Walgreens).

He's mainly an internet dealer, but he is occasionally in the shop.  Best bet is to send him an email and arrange a time to come by the shop.  

His name is Jeff and his email is [email protected]

Super nice guy to talk to as well--we talked about builds for about 30 minutes.

Here's what he had in the shop:

Polish Underfolders:  $225
Polish Tantels:  $250
Yugo Underfolders:  $200
Yugo Milled:  $125
Romanian RPK:  $500
Yugo RPK:  $350-550

He also has several Romanian kits on order that are due "any day now" and will be $120
He said he would be willing to do a discount on the Romanians for a group buy

He also has compliance kits for $35 (30 if you buy a parts kit) and rivet sets for $10 (Bulgarian).

I know there are better prices out there, but it's nice to be able to look over what your buying and also to support a local businessman.

Please send directions--I'm looking forward to my first AK build.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the info tyler2you, I use the Vet right there where he's located.  I never noticed the shop though, I'll have to check it out.  I’ll send directions to everyone as soon as I make them up.  Being in a new area, my house doesn’t show up on Mapquest yet, but I’m easy to find.

Who else besides XJ & UXO2 will have tools to bring?
I know SRM has them, but is a 'maybe' for the party.

I’m getting pumped up about the build

Later all,
Kyle
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I hope we have more than ONE press.......
Those of you showing up to remove a barrel..Barrels...PLEASE soak your barrel pin with some type of penetrating oil....Like PB blaster.....Makes life alot easier..
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:20:25 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a box full of US-made pistol grips and some handguards in black Samsonite (no BS)

I can probably load up one tank stand, burner and stainless tank.  Instead of trying to haul the 100# propane tank, I can bring a 25# BBQ tank.  And if someone else has a 25# tank they could bring that would help.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey Stoner63a, I have one I use for the shop heater, so we should be good to go, Lowe's is just down the street if we need another.  If you are able to bring your gear, would we be able to park the whole rifle, receiver & barrel?  Are you bringing kits too?

If your back hurts, just load up 'yourself' and come on over.  

I'll send directions this weekend, promise
I'm not going to post them on the board, but will send them out in PM or e-mail.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll see what I can do.   I have 2 DCI flats coming from the last Weaponeer group buy.  I don't have any kits yet.  I might just get one of the Rummy kits from DPH just to get one built.  I would really like to build an underfolder.

We will need a air compressor and blasting cabinet to prep the parts for parkerizing, or we can lay out a tarp and use my portable blasting gun.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:36:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a portable blasting gun with some 70 grit aluminum oxide media as well.  I also have some Albanian SKS's that need to be blasted.  We may end up doing that during the build as well, some of this is weather permitting of course.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got a MAPP Torch I can bring as well if it will help.

I've also got an 8 gallon compressor, but it probably won't do much for blasting.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:21:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Hey Tyler2you,  bring the mapp gas torch, we'll use it for heat treating and installing the barrels.  I have an extra canister of gas too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:36:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Can someone help a newbie?

Do I need to order a crossmember in addition to my receiver flat?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:37:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Midwest Armory has the cross member included in their $5.99 rivet sets.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:50:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Hey Willys,
 Got a link or phone # for Midwest Armory?  I need a cross pin, rivet set, trigger guard, and selector stop.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:09:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Here ya go.

www.midwestarmory.com
I'm going to order a few more things from him today.
Remember, orders over $50 get free shipping.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:28:37 AM EDT
[#30]
I just sent directions to everyone who wanted to come.  Let me know if you have any questions.  Only a week away all, it's time for some building.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Tag.  I am in Ft Collins.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I just read this post, I've been busy and haven't been checking the AR15.com website as often as I use to.  I probably won't be able to get the stuff together to build with you folks this time, but I would like to possibly come by to check it out.  Please sent me the location and time.  
Thanks,
~DoubleA~
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm glad I found this thread in time!!! Is there still room for one more?  I'm a long time lurker here, and have a Romy "G" kit I'd like to put together, but the only tools I have is a dremel.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:42:01 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Is there still room for one more?

Yes there is.  I sent you directions to the build party yesterday.  Bring the dremel and whatever else you want, can't have too many tools .

See ya there

Kyle
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:39:37 AM EDT
[#35]
I made a mistake on the directions.  Take either Exit #151 at Briargate or Exit #149 at Woodmen as you head South on I-25.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Kyle,

Hopefully I will have a parts kit in my possession by Saturday. If I do, I will be there for sure. A friend of mine has a parts kit he has been wanting to put together for some time now. Is there room for another?

I can bring a Dremel and a torch if those will help.

Thanks!

Randy
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Randy,

I have room for a lot of people, bring him along.  I hope your kit comes in too.

If you have an electric heater or something similiar, bring it as the garage can get chilly.  I have a forced air propane heater I use, but wouldn't mind a little more 'heater' help if we need it.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Everyone getting ready for the build?

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:41:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Everyone getting ready for the build?
hug.gif hippie.gif hr

Yes, Last night I dremeled off my triggerguard, and receiver rivets, figured it would save time on saturday.  Having trouble removing the rear trunion from the stock, though any suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#40]

Yes, Last night I dremeled off my triggerguard, and receiver rivets, figured it would save time on saturday.  Having trouble removing the rear trunion from the stock, though any suggestions?

Once I removed the 2 screws holding the stock on, I put the rear part of the receiver in a vise and whacked it with a hammer & extension bar to get the stock to pop out.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Ready to do some learnin.

Just hoping my flats show up in time.

I'm doing a Tantal, so it should be interesting.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Thought I'd get a head start as well.  I used some heat and left the front trunion soaking in Liquid Wrench for 2 days.  After beating on the barrel pin for a couple of hours, I finally got it to budge.  I was pounding with the trunion on some padding on the concrete floor with no luck.  I finally put a piece of 1/4" steel under it and that did the trick.  Now I just have to fix the gouges from when the punch slipped.

I pushed the barrel out with the Autozone gear puller--super easy.

I got the rivets out of the front trunion and trigger guard with little problem.  The long rivets on the rear tang are another story.  Hopefully a solid drill press will ease the process.

I'm going to be super bummed if Copes or Tapco don't come through and get me my flat in time.

I also built a Dremel rail cutter and tried my hand at a pair of Harbor Freight rivet squeezers.

The weather is supposed to be great--this should be awesome.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:40:13 AM EDT
[#43]
It's almost time  

I got the flat bending jig in yesterday and XJ already dropped off the spot welder.  I modified the tongs and welded up one receiver, pretty slick setup.  I'll be getting some drinks and snacks today too.  Looks like we have about 15 people in all coming & going.

Later all,
Kyle
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:41:41 AM EDT
[#44]
I'll see you tommorow.... at 8 tish if I get lost.
Any idea how many presses  will be there besides mine????
And for the others coming....SOAK YOUR PINS
See Ya there
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#45]
The only other person with a press is SRM.
He's supposed to come, but won't know till the last minute about his work schedule.

See you all tomorrow,
Kyle
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Sorry guys, my press and I will be in the mountains.  Good luck!

SRM
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Sorry to hear it SRM,  you & your press will be missed
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Sorry to back out of the event.  I just got my flats and my Rommy kit hasn't showed up yet.  I'd like to come to the next build party.   I'm working on a new blasting gun for parkerizing too.
So solly!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:06:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Well.  I won't be coming.  My roommate just ditched on me, and I was hoping to split expenses with him.  Oh well.  I didn't have the parts together anyway.  I will come to another.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:48:00 AM EDT
[#50]
You guys can come to the next one, no problem
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top