Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2006 5:56:27 AM EDT
I'm sure some of you may have seen threads on this already.  Do we have this 50 rnds for $5 sale going on in SE Wi?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#1]
What threads were these? I checked the Ammo and General forums - nothing on the first two pages.  I may have to stop on my way home now.  What brand / loading was it?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#2]
tag for more info
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I will see if I can find the Dick's flier from yesterday's paper.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Just called the Racine location and asked the gun counter about a sale for 50 rounds of .223 for $5.
They said that the only .223 sale is Remington yellow box 20 rounds for $4.48, IF you buy a ten box case.
200 rounds of UMC for $45+tax doesn't do anything for me.

What's the normal price?

If someone gets a different answer, please tell all.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I found this in the Penn. HTF.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=14&t=228489
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess its a misprint.  There is no such thing as a 50 pack of UMC.  There is a thread in the ammo forum about this.

stang
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw it, I'm going tonight to the Appleton Store. I though it was a Misprint and I'm gonna see if I can hold them to their Advertised Price of $4.48 per box of 50.... That's right, it reads 50 if you buy 10 boxes. I think they have to honor it or it's false Advertisement..... I'm taking the flyer along as well and I'll talk to a Manager to see what I can get..... Wish me luck
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Ah, I see the thread in the ammo forum now.  No mention of Dick's in the title - so I missed it at a quick look through.

Harv: Good luck.  I'm sure you know they always have fine print that says: 'not responsible for misprints'.  But you never know.  You may get a sympathetic manager that wants to keep a customer happy.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Well Guy's
Here's the update
I go out to Dicks. I hit the guy up and he places a box of 20 rd of UMC .223 on the counter and asks How many. I say "This is not 50 rds it's only 20"  then I show him the add. he then says' "Hmmn, that  must be wrong" So I say
"So you not going to honor the the price you have in the flyer"  he say's he has to talk to the manager.  They talk for a minute on the phone and he tells me  That they will have to give me a rain check. So I fill one out with a Qty of 1000 rds at 50 rds per box at the price of $4.48 per Box (At 10 boxes per case) just like it reads.

I ask how long and he tells me  he does not know. So I leave.

Now I have the Flyer and the rain check. I read and re-read the flyer in the fine print several times. All it says is not responsible for Typographical errors and  that's they reserve the right to limit Qty (But they have to say what the limit is in the ad)

I'm gonna push this as far as I can go. Just between us, I'm 100% sure someone screwed up and does not know the difference between Caliber and rds per box .45 /9mm/ .380 @ 50 rds per box vs. .233 in 20 rd boxes.

But you cannot mislead  and make false claims on advertisements and I'm pretty sure their are Consumer protection laws in place to keep false advertisement in check. Or I would like to think so... or else they can make any claim in their flyers they want and then just change it when you show up....... I don't think so.

So we'll see what happens. I'll be calling back in a few days and checking with the manager.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#10]
You may get a manager that is willing to give you 500 rounds at the advertised price just to shut you up make you happy, but the store IS UNDER NO LEGAL OBLIGATION to honor anything in the ad; fine print or no fine print.

The weekly circular does not constitute a legal offer.
I was forced to take a business law class and this was covered from several perspectives.
It stuck out in my mind as being rediculous.
Many stores have their own policies about honoring these things.
No legal recourse to pursue though.

Good luck, I hope you get it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey Harv, What Dicks did you go to?  I was going to try that at the G.B. store Tues.

Stang
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:04:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I assumed it was an error (50 rnd boxes), but I did hear of rain checks (for non existent ammo ).  Anyhow, I wish I was back home for this, I'm sure I could finagle the bossman at Dick's that, if 1000 rnds in 50 box is $XX via the sale, then sell me 1000 rnds in 20 box for same price.

'course, asking for 20,000 rounds might scare 'em a little
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:51:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You may get a manager that is willing to give you 500 rounds at the advertised price just to shut you up make you happy, but the store IS UNDER NO LEGAL OBLIGATION to honor anything in the ad; fine print or no fine print.

I was forced to take a business law class and this was covered from several perspectives.

Keep in mind that while a private citizen / consumer could not personally sue over a misprint or possible 'false advertising', a buisiness can still be investigated and prosecuted by local, state or federal gov agencies for this.  It would take more than just one instance for this to happen, but if a pattern of this develops and the complaints start rolling in, a consumer fraud investigation would be possible.  Of course, IANAL, but that's my understanding of it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:23:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep in mind that while a private citizen / consumer could not personally sue over a misprint or possible 'false advertising', a buisiness can still be investigated and prosecuted by local, state or federal gov agencies for this.  It would take more than just one instance for this to happen, but if a pattern of this develops and the complaints start rolling in, a consumer fraud investigation would be possible.  Of course, IANAL, but that's my understanding of it.

Agreed.
They cannot continually print outright fabrications and then laugh at you when you get to the store without incurring some legal consequence.

PX's method of trying to rationalize the round count of the sale with the manager sounds like it has a high probablity of success.
You'ld have to get that to work right away before their infrastructure has time to communicate the error to all the stores.

Funny to joke about, but I'd just leave it alone.
If you have to angle for how to exploit some managers gullability, then it's too much like stealing.
They made a mistake.
If they suffer a few dollars in penalty for not proof reading their national ads, then so be it, but I'm not ready to compromise my ethics over a few measly bucks.
If it starts to feel like scheming ... it is.

When PX bumped into the manager's special and cleaned Gander Mountain out of WWB, that was a square deal; they offered a great bargain and he accepted.
No moral conflict there.

Harv's approach is up-front enough to avoid feeling dishonest.
It's simply, "Hey, I want you to honor your own deal."
He isn't trying to con anyone into anything.

If this was a real deal, then I'd have driven straight over to Racine and bought them out wihtout any hesitation.
If they had more than I wanted, I'd have taken it anyway and dumped it to the locals for cost.
Oh well ..... we tried.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#15]
he
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top