Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 2/14/2006 7:07:27 AM EDT
well, i'm going to pick up my 204 ruger upper from superior at this weekend's gun show.  i've built the lower already and have the HD rings and leupold scope waiting to be installed.  i've also managed to stock pile a fair amount of good ammunition.

i can't wait to set this thing up and make a range report...  i'm giggling every time i think about it...  i have high hopes.  if this thing works like i think it will, it'll be the only thing with "ruger" in it i've ever owned worth a crap, but i'll accept it, regardless.

anybody else going this weekend?

septic tank

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#1]
congrats on the new upper.  Hopefully it will be what you wanted.

I won't make the show this weekend unless someone here decides to have a get-together.  I shot up the last of my .40 last sunday, and am going to spend my extra time this weekend casting.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#2]
where is the show this weekend?

i think i need me some new goodies

Brett

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#3]
adventureland

oops, not this weekend,  adventureland is next.  I am a week off.

Where are you going Septic?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#4]
am i off?  i thought there was a show at the 4H building...  not so?  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#5]
According to the tack at the top of the HTF there is one next weekend at Adventureland.  It says there isn't one at 4h until April.

You might be waiting longer than you thought.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#6]
grrrrr....

I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED...................................

guess i'll have to make a trip to Wapello...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#8]
yo septic, let me know when you are thinking of driving down there.  i might be interested in heading down there also, if my schedule allows.

Brett
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:48:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Septic, you got a range report on this bad boy yet?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#10]
He still doesn't have it in his grubby little hands.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:18:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I know there are people who always think the velocity is greener on the other side of the brass polisher, but explain to me how this can be significantly better than just shooting the 35gr or 40gr Vmax Hornady bullet through a std. 223 rifle?

i don't know with certainty that it will, in fact, be better than a .223...  we could all set around chewing the cud on the .223 vs .22-250 vs 220 swift debate...  you know how it is - personal preference.  

i got the itch for one of these after reading an extensive article in precision shooting that compared the .223/.22-250/.204Ruger in an expansive test.  the 20 cal out performed in terms of velocity on near and far ranges.  it also lent itself to less wind drift, which i didn't figure would be the outcome.  surprisingly, it also didn't foul and burn barrels the way a swift or something like a .17 Remington does.  add all those up and i decided it would be worth a try.

i might decide this caliber is junk, but i'll give it an honest run first.  besides, with a 32gr polymer tipped bullet traveling @ 4300 FPS you're bound to have a little fun.  Does the .223 actually run that fast in the same weight over the same distance?  my research says no, but we'll see.  i'm comparing both.  if you have some specific feed back i'd like to look it over.  i'll take all the good information i can get.

i go on several trips west to shoot pdogs, so i like to mix it up a little.  we'll see how it goes...

septic tank

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:30:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
He still doesn't have it in his grubby little hands.

+1

i think the guys finished it yesterday or the day before.  it is built, but they were "range testing" it.  i think "range testing" is a nice way of saying "we're going to take this thing out and giggle our asses off when we shoot it" to the customer...

just kidding.  i test fire everything i build or modify for myself or friends.  i have to travel out of town for funeral business and the associated estate issues, so i wouldn't have gotten to use it this weekend regardless.  i'm hoping to be in eastern IA next week.  maybe i can make arrangements to pick the unit up.  i've got a 6x18x44 leupold waiting for it with smith super high rings...  i suppose a stop by brownells on my way back will lead to another bipod, and some accessories.  i also need to pick up one of those new ace skeleton stocks and a buffer tube for it.  i picked up some parts from another arfcommer the other day, so i'm ready and waiting.  i've also got almost a complete arsenal of .204 ammo for testing and break in.

i went ahead and bought the .17 cal cleaning rod instead of the .20 cal - i figure i might build a .17 Rem upper someday also.  they eat barrels, but a 17gr bullet @ 4650 FPS will literally lift a prairie dog up into the sky and then burst him into little tiny pieces of rib cage, entrails, and various red mist covered fur...

septic tank

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:36:27 AM EDT
[#13]
after reading my own posts again, i've come to the conclusion i may have issues...  is it normal to enjoy the killing of God's creatures and express this kind of zeal towards shear velocity?

i say yes, but i could be wrong...

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:20:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally posted by Septic-Tank13
i've come to the conclusion i may have issues

+1

Maybe we both have issues.  But there is nothing like blowing a prairie dog into as many pieces as possible.  Occasionally I have to go to dogbegone.com and watch the videos there to get my bloodlust satisfied.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#15]
ok...  it showed up today in the UPS pile...  

the 24" upper with rifle length quad rail looks beautiful.  i'll have preliminary information shortly...  

i finally stopped giggling a few minutes ago...  it starts up a little here and there, but by and large the uncontrolled slobbering has eased to a mild drip, kind of like when you were in school and fell asleep on your desk...

if you can't tell, i'm psyched!!!

septic tank

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#16]
i want pictures of one hole groups........but i will know that  you only shoot groups of 1

congrats on getting it, i cannot wait to see it....

Brett
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:45:39 AM EDT
[#17]
i hope to have one hole groups also.  i'd easily settle with 1/2 MOA.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#18]
link to 204 build

204 link

enjoy.

septic tank
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top