Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Got my coffee ready to watch the fun.  

Going to be a party-line vote?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm watching the live feed and don't see HB 102 on the agenda. Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm watching the live feed and don't see HB 102 on the agenda. Am I missing something?
View Quote

Looks like it is up at 0940 hrs.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got back on halfway through amendment 8 and saw the vote. It sounded like amendment 8 was to remove places that sell alcohol from the prohibited places. Is that correct? Did a couple R's really just vote that down?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#6]
This seems like a cluster.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#7]
What's happening, for those of us stuck at work?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#8]
From what I could figure out, it passed with one amendment (11). Amendment 8 was brought back up and they were all given the text. Got voted down again. I missed amendment 11 and have no clue what it was.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#9]
That was purposely made a mess. The dems continued to bring up that it was confusing and a bad bill. It is easy to understand if you know how to read a bill/law. Apparently the people sent to Helena are idiots or intended to make it confusing. They used the same tactic for lr130 in November.

Tar and feathers should be on display outside the Helena capital building.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#10]
So what was the result?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#11]
HB  102 passed the sjc with one amendment to include secured LE offices to prohibited places for a CWP.

The other amendments proposed by the bill sponsor, as outlined earlier, did not pass. It was a very confusing and immature process, imo. Looked like amateur hour.

HB 102 will now move onto the senate floor for second reading. It will be a guaranteed shit show. Amendments will most likely be presented and libs will still claim it is bad and scary. Hopefully, there will be enough support to remain a good bill.

Gary Marbut just compared the process to making sausage.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Some animals more equal again...
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:32:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#14]
HB 102 has been sent back to the SJC. They will have executive action on HB 102 on Friday Morning(1/29).

Gary Marbut is requesting that messages be sent to the SJC to support the sponsor's amendments to the bill, this will be known and discussed as amendment 8.

Hopefully, the SJC can make things go a little smoother and get this bill to move forward with those amendments.

Please send the SJC comments again.

ETA Message Senate Judiciary Committee

I will be updating the OP with a HB # for not enforcing any new federal laws. That bill will be HB 258 and will be introduced soon.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I will be updating the OP with a HB # for not enforcing any new federal laws. That bill will be HB 258 and will be introduced soon.
View Quote
Wait, That's not part of HB102?

Also, what exactly is Amendment 8? The secured LEO office part?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#16]
HB258 will prevent local LE from helping feds from enforcing the Biden AWB. It is currently in the House Judiciary, use the link Country posted to contact the House Committee.

2021 Guns and Weapons bills introduced
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wait, That's not part of HB102?

Also, what exactly is Amendment 8? The secured LEO office part?
View Quote

I changed how the op was worded, I read back through it and it was not right. It should make more sense now.

The following 5 changes will make up "amendment 8".  

1) allow judges to prohibit firearms in areas of a courthouse outside the courtroom that the court or court employees use, such as jury rooms, prisoner holding rooms, etc.,

2) allow campuses to prohibit firearms at athletic or entertainment events with controlled access and where active armed security is provided,

3) move the effective date for campus carry from immediately to June 1st,

4) in the remedies section, allow a court deciding a lawsuit for infringement under the bill to "may" grant court costs, attorney fees, and damages to a successful plaintiff, instead of requiring a court to do that, and

5)  allow unpermitted concealed carry in restaurants that serve alcohol ("restaurant carry" - already in the bill for people with permits).
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is huge!
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 12:33:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The following 5 changes will make up "amendment 8".  

1) allow judges to prohibit firearms in areas of a courthouse outside the courtroom that the court or court employees use, such as jury rooms, prisoner holding rooms, etc.,

2) allow campuses to prohibit firearms at athletic or entertainment events with controlled access and where active armed security is provided,

3) move the effective date for campus carry from immediately to June 1st,

4) in the remedies section, allow a court deciding a lawsuit for infringement under the bill to "may" grant court costs, attorney fees, and damages to a successful plaintiff, instead of requiring a court to do that, and

5)  allow unpermitted concealed carry in restaurants that serve alcohol ("restaurant carry" - already in the bill for people with permits).
View Quote

HB102 and these 5 amendments passed the sjc today. They should be heading to the senate floor for second reading next week. Message your Senator.

HB258 will be in the House JC on Tuesday. Get messages to support to the committee
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#20]
It's wise yhat HB102 retains the ability for a person to get a hard copy CCW permit. There are obvious reasons retaining the ability for those that want a permit for the obvious reasons.

#1 - That's OK if you want to go through the NICS everytime you want to make a purchase, and take the risk that the system will always be up.

And also if you never plan on wanting to travel out of state and carry. But those states that do away with a HC pernit, risks reciprocity changes.

#2 - Anyone thinking that permitless carry in the state gives them reciprocity in others is very mistaken. For those states going permitless w/o offering a user a permit, risk losing reciprocity in states that currently recognize but require a permit.

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's wise yhat HB102 retains the ability for a person to get a hard copy CCW permit. There are obvious reasons retaining the ability for those that want a permit for the obvious reasons.

#1 - That's OK if you want to go through the NICS everytime you want to make a purchase, and take the risk that the system will always be up.

And also if you never plan on wanting to travel out of state and carry. But those states that do away with a HC pernit, risks reciprocity changes.

#2 - Anyone thinking that permitless carry in the state gives them reciprocity in others is very mistaken. For those states going permitless w/o offering a user a permit, risk losing reciprocity in states that currently recognize but require a permit.

View Quote

I believe that Kansas did a smart thing and said "any KS ID card counts as a LTC when traveling interstate."

More importantly EMAIL THE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just send it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I believe that Kansas did a smart thing and said "any KS ID card counts as a LTC when traveling interstate."

More importantly EMAIL THE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just send it.
View Quote

HB 102 made it passed sjc last week and is heading to the full senate for reading. Mesaages should go to your Senator.

The ccw permitting system is huge part of this bill. I do not see the permitting system going anywhere. A message to support this bill "as is" is the best message to send to your Senator.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#23]
SJC for HB258.

Senator for HB102.

(just for clarification)

Country, thanks for all you do.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:16:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
SJC for HB258.

Senator for HB102.

(just for clarification)

Country, thanks for all you do.
View Quote

I concur. Not a problem, thanks for putting up with me
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:26:22 PM EDT
[#25]
HB102 passed second reading in the Senate  today 30-20 and is scheduled for a third reading tomorrow. It's nice to see it moving quickly.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
HB102 passed second reading in the Senate  today 30-20 and is scheduled for a third reading tomorrow. It's nice to see it moving quickly.
View Quote

Awesome! I didn't know they were going to have that on the floor today! Did they make any amendments?
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:29:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I scanned through the 2nd reading and didn't hear any changes.

I will note that Cascade County Sheriff J. Slaughter has personally appeared at the legislature to strongly support both HB102 and HB258.

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:34:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:42:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Just got the email update from Gary Marbut with MSSA.

Hb102 made it thru 2nd reading today in the Senate with no amendments. It will be up for 3rd reading tomorrow with just an up or down vote, no debate.

It will then be sent back over to the House for concurrence. He sees it moving through the house with no issues and may be able to make it to the Governor's desk by Monday!

Gary said that Gianforte wants this to be the first bill he signs.

HB 258 had a productive hearing today with the HJC. Sounds like the Governor's office wanted some amendments. Not sure what they were yet. The HJC will take executive action probably tomorrow and then vote on the bill.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I have met him. Good dude. I wish our sheriff was as progressive as him.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I scanned through the 2nd reading and didn't hear any changes.

I will note that Cascade County Sheriff J. Slaughter has personally appeared at the legislature to strongly support both HB102 and HB258.

I have met him. Good dude. I wish our sheriff was as progressive as him.

He is a great dude. He use to teach cc classes. Always willing to discuss gun stuff and wants to see these pro gun bills pass.

It is interesting that he spoke in support of HB 258, the MT sheriff and peace officers assoc wanted changes.

Slaughter is not swamp material. Hopefully he stays that way and doesn't end up on the receiving end of too much bs from the pc types.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#31]
HB102 passed the Senate today.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
HB102 passed the Senate today.
View Quote

I see it moving pretty fast back through the House. Pretty exciting stuff!
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Looks like HB 102 passed 2nd reading in the House and is scheduled for 3rd reading tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 4:58:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Any results? I got to the live broadcast too late and can't figure out how to scroll back (there's no option for me to do so).
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#35]
HB102 passed its third reading in the House. Now it's on to enrolling and to the Governor.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
HB102 passed its third reading in the House. Now it's on to enrolling and to the Governor.
View Quote
Let's go, Gov Gianforte!
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Let's go, Gov Gianforte!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's go, Gov Gianforte!

It goes into effect with the stroke of his pen! (except for the capus carry that isn't until June.) I will update the op.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 1:02:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It goes into effect with the stroke of his pen! (except for the capus carry that isn't until June.) I will update the op.
View Quote

Love it!
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Do I need to call Greg?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Do I need to call Greg?
View Quote

Yes, tell him to fast track HB258.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Let's go, Greg. Sign it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#42]
There are only 2 steps left:

Step 22. Enrolling. Bill is checked for accuracy and printed. Correctly enrolled bill is delivered to presiding officer of house in which bill originated.After being signed and recorded in journal, bill is transmitted to other house where same procedure is followed.

Step 23. Governor's desk. Governor either signs or vetoes bill or allows it to become law without his or her signature. Legislature may vote to override a veto if it has not adjourned or may be polled under certain circumstances if it has adjourned. (Refer to Montana Constitution, Article VI,section 10.)

KC

Added for info:

https://legiscan.com/MT/bill/HB102/2021

Added for additional info:

13                  NEW SECTION.      Section 15.  Effective date DATES.  [This act](1)EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN SUBSECTION

14      (2),[THIS ACT] is effective on passage and approval.

15                     (2)[SECTION 6]IS EFFECTIVE JUNE 1,2021.

16                                                                                      -END-
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#43]
How long does it take them to enroll a bill?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Don't know how long it takes for enrollment, but it appears the bill must be sent to print then must be signed by both chambers before sending it on to the Governor.

And the Governor has some options:

Once a bill passes both chambers in the same form, it’s sent to the Governor.

The Governor has four options: sign the bill into law, recommend amendments to the bill, veto the bill, or take no action.

If the Governor takes no action, the bill becomes law after 10 days.

This must be why our previous POS Gov used the veto...

KC
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Won't take affect until June 1, but I suppose that's good, because we'll need that June rain to wash all the blood off the streets!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I get both of these standpoints. The current list of places that are off limits is kind of silly from what my research has shown. I could carry more places in Colorado than I can in Arizona. Montana is even more restrictive than AZ. I am all for allowing carry in more places. I think that if the bill is written well, no carry signs will have to be very specific to count. I also hope they aren't given force of law. Let's get rid of the resident for 6 months before you can get a permit while they're at it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HB102 would make any private property with a “no firearms” sign a prohibited place. I can’t support that.

Bill text

While I understand your sentiment, I have no problem with it,their house their rules. I just wont patronize those businesses. However I do feel that they should be liable for any injury or death that may have been prevented by allowing carry on their premises.

I get both of these standpoints. The current list of places that are off limits is kind of silly from what my research has shown. I could carry more places in Colorado than I can in Arizona. Montana is even more restrictive than AZ. I am all for allowing carry in more places. I think that if the bill is written well, no carry signs will have to be very specific to count. I also hope they aren't given force of law. Let's get rid of the resident for 6 months before you can get a permit while they're at it!

Hypothetical, and how the Left fights:

I stop to get gas and elect to pay inside. I'm carrying my handgun.

There are no "no gun" signs at the pumps but I walk towards the door and notice a sign. I refuse to take off my gun to go in and pay and pick up a soda.

Now what?

I've already filled up but I'm unwilling to go into the station unarmed and it was not disclosed that I had to be unarmed to enter the building until I already owed them money.

Free tank of gas? Get a "drive off" charge (whatever they call that in MT)? Commit a crime to pay for the gas that's already in my vehicle? Buckle under and disarm to go in and pay for the gas?

The Left, at least in the state I'm leaving in a few months would call all their friends and demonstrate outside the gas station until the policy they dislike was changed. The right does nothing. --If we want to secure our rights, we need to band together and not let left leaning companies get away with things like this whether that's through "social agitation", lawfare or otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Won't take affect until June 1, but I suppose that's good, because we'll need that June rain to wash all the blood off the streets!
View Quote

This bill goes into effect when signed by Gianforte. The campus carry portion is the only portion that will not go into effect until June.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes like Country stated the bill becomes law immediately except for the campus carry "SECTION 6 IS EFFECTIVE JUNE 1,2021".

KC
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Now showing as "transmitted to governor."
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Now showing as "transmitted to governor."
View Quote

Hopefully he signs it tomorrow along with SB65.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top