BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PASSED 2-1 out of committee with no amendments.

LOTS of opposition there. HSB133 was called a racist, "idiot bill" that encourages vigilante-ism. This is going to get ugly.

Our side that spoke out in favor did a good job of being professional and respectful.
View Quote

Aaaaaaaand predictable attack now says SYG is racist.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/politics/election/iowa-statehouse/iowa-minorities-fear-proposed-stand-your-ground-legislation-20170223

The gazette is full on attacking HSB133 saying we're rushing into a bunch or laws that tilt the balance of public safety. And racism.

They haven't got back to me about either column I've submitted as a rebuttal. A-holes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Aaaaaaaand predictable attack now says SYG is racist.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/politics/election/iowa-statehouse/iowa-minorities-fear-proposed-stand-your-ground-legislation-20170223

The gazette is full on attacking HSB133 saying we're rushing into a bunch or laws that tilt the balance of public safety. And racism.

They haven't got back to me about either column I've submitted as a rebuttal. A-holes.
View Quote

I cannot believe there are Iowans this stupid. If they truly believe this is "racist" and they will "fear for their lives" because they are black then I'm thinking either they are mentally ill or I am mentally ill. Geeesh.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

https://representativemarywolfe.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/justification-presentation.pdf

She's going to argue we already have strong SYG.
View Quote

The easy answer is that Judicial precedent has nullified the wording of the law -- changing it to actually be implemented in a different way than the plain language, and that as a legislator charged with analyzing it, she really should  have been aware of that already.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I cannot believe there are Iowans this stupid. If they truly believe this is "racist" and they will "fear for their lives" because they are black then I'm thinking either they are mentally ill or I am mentally ill. Geeesh.
View Quote

The gun-banners agree with you 100% on that
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#5]
ATV Carry cleanup
Removes the requirement of a so-called “retention holster” while operating an ATV or snowmobile

what does this mean, still just for handguns or can you carry a rifle or shotgun
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
ATV Carry cleanup
Removes the requirement of a so-called “retention holster” while operating an ATV or snowmobile

what does this mean, still just for handguns or can you carry a rifle or shotgun
View Quote

I think that was the reasoning for adding retention wording in, could only be handguns.  With that removed we should be good with rifles as well.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/opinion/columnists/iowa-view/2017/02/24/house-bill-provides-overdue-gun-reforms/98345504/

The Des Moines Register ran another opinion piece from me!

The Gazette ignored me.

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#8]
HF 210 passed subcommittee this week. Bill relating to use of straight wall cartridge rifles for deer hunting. Someone smarter than me should probably weigh in on this, who/what committees to call, email, etc..
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:33:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
ATV Carry cleanup

View Quote

What gets me is I was scoffed at for stating this was bad language last year. Now this year it needs cleaning up.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:39:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
HF 210 passed subcommittee this week. Bill relating to use of straight wall cartridge rifles for deer hunting. Someone smarter than me should probably weigh in on this, who/what committees to call, email, etc..
View Quote

Too bad this is just straight wall cartridges, but it is step in the right direction.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Too bad this is just straight wall cartridges, but it is step in the right direction.
View Quote
Are you saying .45-70 isn't enough for the deer herd in your part of the state 
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. I meant exactly what I wrote. Too bad it is just straight wall cartridges. It limits cartridges and actually rifle types.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No. I meant exactly what I wrote. Too bad it is just straight wall cartridges. It limits cartridges and actually rifle types.
View Quote
It was a joke.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good.  This pry won't be a popular opinion, but I like we don't have rifle hunting in most of iowa.   There is no sport at all in whacking a deer from 400 yards.  Between shotgun and muzzle loaders, there's enough options for me.   Flame away.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Iowa Poll: Slim majority support 'stand your ground'

The poll, conducted by Selzer and Co (a nationally respected polling company), shows overwhelming support for Stand Your Ground.

The same day the Register's editorial board pens this non-sense: Editorial: Lawmakers are gun foolish, not gun friendly

I, for one, love the fact that the Register paid for this poll and it flat out 100% proves their own editorial board is out of touch with the Iowans they're tasked with reporting on. Not that it matters to them...
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The same day the Register's editorial board pens this non-sense: Editorial: Lawmakers are gun foolish, not gun friendly

I, for one, love the fact that the Register paid for this poll and it flat out 100% proves their own editorial board is out of touch with the Iowans they're tasked with reporting on. Not that it matters to them...
View Quote

I find it flat out amazing that we live in a world where it is a radical idea to teach your child to shoot. Here we go again with toddler training delusion.

Hopefully the editorial board comes out and joins us on March 7th and we can go over a few things together.

I will say this about the register... At least they let my opinion piece in this week. I emailed it to them and the Gazette. The Gazette has had multiple articles slamming this bill with nothing in support and wanted nothing to with another pro-article. Mine wasn't their only submission.

The Register was all over it. Put it online ASAP and got it in the Sunday print. They were nice and had multiple replies and thanks.

So it is what it is.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#17]
With all the nonsense the Register has pulled in the past, I'm extremely surprised they ran that story on the front page, saying most Iowans support SYG.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#18]
House Judiciary Committee is scheduled to vote on HSB133 at 2pm TODAY.

Our guys at the capitol are saying there's a chance it could be bumped to tomorrow, not likely but still possible. They're also saying it'd be nice if the Judiciary Committee members got a little "boost of encouragement" to pass the bill.

Here's the addresses of each member of the Judiciary Committee:
[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

A couple of points to emphasize:
**The proposals in HSB133 are not new. They've been debated and PASSED with BIPARTISAN support in the House for several years.
**Professional polling proves that support for Stand Your Ground VASTLY outweighs the opposition. Just ask the Des Moines Register - http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/iowa-poll/2017/02/25/iowa-poll-slim-majority-support-stand-your-ground/97889884/
**We heard the same arguments from gun control advocates against Shall Issue in 2010 and there's still no shootouts or blood in the streets.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I just sent the following to everyone on the list in the prior post.  You all should feel free to copy and paste. It took less than three minutes for me, and I took the time to write it. You all should be able to do it with two copy and pastes.

Hello,

I am writing in support of HSB133 which is scheduled for a vote at 2pm today.  This is legislation which has passed the House with Bi-Partisan support for several years.

This bill fixes many issues that exist in current Iowa law while increasing penalties for Straw Purchasers.  This is good legislation.

These changes will vastly improve an individual’s rights in Iowa and will, fortunately, include codifying “Stand your ground.” Please be aware that professional polling, published by the Des Moines Register, indicates that there is much more support for Stand Your Ground in Iowa than opposition.

Respectfully,
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:22:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It was a joke.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a joke.

All's good. Working the hours I am right now I don't have much humor or energy left at this point.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Good.  This pry won't be a popular opinion, but I like we don't have rifle hunting in most of iowa.   There is no sport at all in whacking a deer from 400 yards.  Between shotgun and muzzle loaders, there's enough options for me.   Flame away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am sure you can still use your shotgun. The rest of us will enjoy better arms.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just sent the following to everyone on the list in the prior post.  You all should feel free to copy and paste. It took less than three minutes for me, and I took the time to write it. You all should be able to do it with two copy and pastes.

Hello,

I am writing in support of HSB133 which is scheduled for a vote at 2pm today.  This is legislation which has passed the House with Bi-Partisan support for several years.

This bill fixes many issues that exist in current Iowa law while increasing penalties for Straw Purchasers.  This is good legislation.

These changes will vastly improve an individual’s rights in Iowa and will, fortunately, include codifying “Stand your ground.” Please be aware that professional polling, published by the Des Moines Register, indicates that there is much more support for Stand Your Ground in Iowa than opposition.

Respectfully,
View Quote

NAILED IT!
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Here is what I just sent:

I would like to take this moment to express to you my support for House Study Bill 133, an act relating to offensive and dangerous weapons, and the justifiable use of reasonable and deadly force, including carrying, possessing, transferring, and acquiring weapons, the purchase and regulation of such weapons, providing penalties, and including effective date and applicability provisions.

Most of the proposals in this legislation have had bi-partisan support in the Iowa House for many years in a row.

Most of the opposition to this bill seems to be based around the "stand your ground" modifications to Chapter 704.  This opposition seems to be both unfamiliar with use of force laws in Iowa (and across the country) as well as a general misconception about what "stand your ground" really means.  Scientific polling that surveyed Iowans about the issue showed that support for "stand your ground" provisions far outweighed the opposition.

A violent attack or encounter is not violent... until it is.  Simply looking for an "alternate course of action" as written currently in Chapter 704 could cost someone their life.  "Stand your ground" would cover ALL justifiable uses of reasonable force, including force not involving a firearm.  Too many prosecutors have too many opinions about what an "alternate course of action" is or could be in any scenario.

The rest of the bill gives needed updates to our laws and provides law enforcement for taking action against firearms-offenders using the state justice system, which will be very helpful in taking straw purchasers (the number one suppliers of firearms to criminal elements) off the street.

Please remember that the people opposing this bill were the same ones claiming increases in violence when weapons permits were changed to "shall" issue in 2011.  Of course, those fears were as unfounded then as they are today.

Thank you all for your work on these issues.

Lets get this done!
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Here is what I just sent:

I would like to take this moment to express to you my support for House Study Bill 133, an act relating to offensive and dangerous weapons, and the justifiable use of reasonable and deadly force, including carrying, possessing, transferring, and acquiring weapons, the purchase and regulation of such weapons, providing penalties, and including effective date and applicability provisions.

Most of the proposals in this legislation have had bi-partisan support in the Iowa House for many years in a row.

Most of the opposition to this bill seems to be based around the "stand your ground" modifications to Chapter 704.  This opposition seems to be both unfamiliar with use of force laws in Iowa (and across the country) as well as a general misconception about what "stand your ground" really means.  Scientific polling that surveyed Iowans about the issue showed that support for "stand your ground" provisions far outweighed the opposition.

A violent attack or encounter is not violent... until it is.  Simply looking for an "alternate course of action" as written currently in Chapter 704 could cost someone their life.  "Stand your ground" would cover ALL justifiable uses of reasonable force, including force not involving a firearm.  Too many prosecutors have too many opinions about what an "alternate course of action" is or could be in any scenario.

The rest of the bill gives needed updates to our laws and provides law enforcement for taking action against firearms-offenders using the state justice system, which will be very helpful in taking straw purchasers (the number one suppliers of firearms to criminal elements) off the street.

Please remember that the people opposing this bill were the same ones claiming increases in violence when weapons permits were changed to "shall" issue in 2011.  Of course, those fears were as unfounded then as they are today.

Thank you all for your work on these issues.

Lets get this done!
View Quote

You guys are rocking it. Seriously, it's awesome seeing these emails get shared. These are the kinds of things that really make things happen (and destroy the anti-gunner's misconceptions about us in the process).

EightMill- one small correction, Shall Issue was passed in 2010 not 2011. Other than that you crushed it.

Keep it up guys, it's hard to tell some times, but your efforts are working.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You guys are rocking it. Seriously, it's awesome seeing these emails get shared. These are the kinds of things that really make things happen (and destroy the anti-gunner's misconceptions about us in the process).

EightMill- one small correction, Shall Issue was passed in 2010 not 2011. Other than that you crushed it.

Keep it up guys, it's hard to tell some times, but your efforts are working.
View Quote

I blame spell check...
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I blame spell check...
View Quote

Autocorrect has become my new default scapegoat.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been going back and forth with Mary Wolfe on twitter over her false perception that the duty to retreat is somehow not real.

I felt really good when Sodders was the one to jump to her defense.

So it was a thrill to see her name on the bulk email I sent out today to the house judiciary committee.

I hope we shut down the server.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Updates on today's meeting?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Updates on today's meeting?
View Quote

Got postponed. We expect it to take place tomorrow.

Frustrating, but the funnel weeks are always a mess since everyone is trying cram their bill's through.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:38:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I hope it's kosher to do a mass email to all the Reps on the committee and address the as a whole since that's what I just did.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#31]
You're g2g.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#32]
House Judiciary scheduled to meet at 4 today.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:19:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Sent them all a note yesterday.  Will the committee meeting be live streamed anywhere?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Sent them all a not yesterday.  Will the committee meeting be live streamed anywhere?
View Quote

Efforting a live stream on the IFC Facebook page, not guaranteed though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Im guessing postponed again.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Im guessing postponed again.
View Quote

Massively delayed (3+ hours) but just restarting. IFC Facebook page will have a live stream once they get to HSB133.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#37]
It's not looking very pretty for us that Wolfe is knocking it left and right
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Little early to rule it out.  PASSED! 13-7
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:45:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

She's a Dem, what do you expect? Unfortunately,  she's my Dem. I hope it blasts through, no matter what the freedom-haters say.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Can anyone explain the amendment I couldn't hear it very well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Little early to rule it out.  PASSED! 13-7
View Quote

Well my apologies I kept getting disconnected and it was very lagging on my phone
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I couldn't hear it either.

Nice speech at the end though!
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Well my apologies I kept getting disconnected and it was very lagging on my phone
View Quote

No problem.  Wasn't just your phone was laggy here too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:58:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

This interests me as well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:37:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This interests me as well.
View Quote

Getting a debrief on this and will share the details in the morning.

To be entirely upfront with you guys I know the big sticking point was Permit-less Carry. A fair number of the GOP guys have always been pretty squishy on the point. I'm almost certain that is off the table now. Once I get confirmation I'll share what I can with you guys.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:21:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Getting a debrief on this and will share the details in the morning.

To be entirely upfront with you guys I know the big sticking point was Permit-less Carry. A fair number of the GOP guys have always been pretty squishy on the point. I'm almost certain that is off the table now. Once I get confirmation I'll share what I can with you guys.
View Quote

If that's what it takes to get the rest of it through this year get it the hell done!!!

2am rights are the mallet smacking down the Democrats and if they make us save another whack for them next year let's do it.  Get syg, get rid of Iowa prohibition on NFA items, family protection act, confidential cwp records, the rest of the list done.  Then hammer them with Constitutional Carry and point out that Missouri has had it for two years (as of next year) with no increase in gun violence.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#47]
I didn't remember reading about constitutional carry, I thought we were going for no permit to purchase and lifetime permits.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Heck, I'd trade permitless, "fun stuff", etc just to improve the (nonexistant) rules on business firing employees for legal actions. That's the #1 reason most people don't carry daily. Every time I see someone who might be in a "chamber of commerce" I'm going to be calling them on that from now on, as the CoCs are dead set against any kind of parking lot bill.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Heck, I'd trade permitless, "fun stuff", etc just to improve the (nonexistant) rules on business firing employees for legal actions. That's the #1 reason most people don't carry daily. Every time I see someone who might be in a "chamber of commerce" I'm going to be calling them on that from now on, as the CoCs are dead set against any kind of parking lot bill.
View Quote

Parking Lot Bill was high on my wish list. I pick up and drop off kids at school every day, and it would be nice to be able to do so with a gun in the truck legally.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Hey guys, here's the debrief I got on the amendment to HSB133. Amendment to HSB133 Explained

As I mentioned, striking Permit-less Carry (aka Constitutional Carry) was/is the biggest sticking point. The short version (from the link):

"Permit-less carry language within HSB133 had been revised many times by the legislature. Eventually it got to the point that it became to complex and unwieldy, the exact opposite of what it should be. Due to time constraints (the first funnel), rather than pass a sub-optimal version of permit-less carry, the House Judiciary Committee decided to remove that provision of HSB133.

HSB133 still contains a ton of good stuff and we need you in the capitol March 7th for Second Amendment Day 2017 to show the legislature they need to pass this bill."

There's a longer, better description on the IFC page. But that's the gist of it.

Edited: for grammar & for shameless 2A day plug
Page / 7
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top