Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2014 3:15:17 AM EDT
Here's mine...so far.

Two cow elk in the pickup on opening day makes my Dad a happy guy!

Mine on the ground. Running shot, 125 yards, Sako 75 in .300 RUM and Nosler 180 grain partitions, both lungs turned to jelly with complete penetration.

Skinning them out in the garage...the ceiling mounted Warn winch really helps when dealing with two elk.  

Next up...an antlered mule deer in the Ruby mountains.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:31:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Here's mine...so far.

Two cow elk in the pickup on opening day makes my Dad a happy guy!

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s665/icer43652/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-10/20141002_075239_zpsk8qknj03.jpg

Mine on the ground. Running shot, 125 yards, Sako 75 in .300 RUM and Nosler 180 grain partitions, both lungs turned to jelly with complete penetration.

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s665/icer43652/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-10/20141001_172223_zpskqkip6x6.jpg

Skinning them out in the garage...the ceiling mounted Warn winch really helps when dealing with two elk.  

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s665/icer43652/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-10/20141002_201411_zpsm1z2fpvr.jpg

Next up...an antlered mule deer in the Ruby mountains.  
View Quote

Nice!  What unit where you hunting.  I just spent two days in 222 and couldn't find anything but giant bulls, of course I only had a cow tag.  Need to go back next week.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I had an early 113 tag.  
Only 5 tags issued, and my Dad and me met the other 3 hunters.  
Blue Mass area is absolutely gorgeous.  Incredible granite outcroppings and some nice aspen just starting to turn color.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had an early 113 tag.  
Blue Mass area is absolutely gorgeous.  Incredible granite outcroppings and some nice aspen just starting to turn color.
View Quote

You talking about Cow for 113 Early?  I'm thinking there's more than 5 rifle tags for there as I've got a tag and wont be up there until next week.  Was going to go with ishoot2live who also has a tag, but he's not going to be able to make it  5 tags was the quota for 2013 so it looks like they are doing more this year.

How are the herds looking?  At least there isn't any snow in your pictures.

Also have an area 11 deer tag to fill too but the cow takes priority.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You talking about Cow for 113 Early?  I'm thinking there's more than 5 rifle tags for there as I've got a tag and wont be up there until next week.  Was going to go with ishoot2live who also has a tag, but he's not going to be able to make it  5 tags was the quota for 2013 so it looks like they are doing more this year.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had an early 113 tag.  

113 early cow rifle only has a few tags. 113 late rifle cow has a bunch.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm going up to Wells on the 15th to hunt mule deer buck with a friend in 101-109.

November 5-11 I'm going up to 061/071 bull elk for me
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had an early 113 tag.  
View Quote

Nice shooting. I drove the north south dirt road on the east side of the Shcell Creek Range and saw the sign for Blue Mass about 15 years ago. I'm going to have to get over there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:38:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Always in season

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:49:27 PM EDT
[#8]

But they taste like shit.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:21:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah well, at this point in time in 2014, that bad doggie....begone!
It's not about eat'in.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:21:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Oopserlon
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:32:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's not about eat'in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not about eat'in.

What's a good deep fried recipe, there must be one ?
Like battered in flour and eggs or what
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:57:50 AM EDT
[#12]
My Buddy Mark and I hunted area 13 this week. The first day we spotted this guy and not much else.

On day 2, I took this cow at 280 yards 5 minutes after turning off the highway.

Then less that 30 minutes after dropping my cow off at Anderson's in Ely, Mark shot this one at 330 yards

Next, off to area 14 to fill our buck tags.

Tom

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had an early 113 tag.  

Just looked it up and you are correct, this season is showing 34 tags available for 113 early.
Didn't see much in the way of "herds", we haven't had enough weather yet to bring them down off the Goshute reservation I suspect.
Lots of bulls running around acting stupid with the rut going.  Cows and calves are sticking to the deep woods and only coming out in the early evening to feed and water.  Mostly small groups of less than 5-7 so far.
A rancher in Pleasant Valley on the Nevada/Utah border just east of Blue Mass is looking for help with a herd that is coming into his alfalfa fields at night.  We talked to his son who gave us some tips on where to set up for them, but we ended up bagging our cows later on that day near where we were camping and didn't make it back over to his spread. Judging by the sign we saw up above his ranch there are plenty of elk bedding down up high in the trees.  Apparently they are leaving the fields around 5am though, so setting up for them with enough legal light could be difficult.
I'm heading out to the Ruby mountains to fill my buck tag some time this week.
Good luck on your hunt.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top