Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2009 11:59:40 AM EDT
I asked Chris if there was any scheduled shotgun class schedlued by DefensiveConceptssNC for 2010 and he suggested I start a thread inquiring into interest to hold one.

I'm definitely in for one unless I have a schedueling conflict. So if you think you might have an interest please post something here and maybe we can get enough guys to form a class.

Here's the link for the description:

DEFENSIVE SHOTGUN

Defensive Shotgun
Duration: 1 Day Ammo: 35 Buckshot, 35 Slugs, 325 Birdshot Tuition: $150

The shotgun is the one of the most powerful and prolific weapons available to the average concerned-citizen. Able to deliver instant, fight stopping damage to an attacker at social distances; the shotgun can also be used out to 100 yards with ease.

Students of the Defensive Shotgun course will be exposed to proper manipulation of the shotgun during hostile encounters, marksmanship fundamentals, patterning of the shotgun, the engagement of single and multiple attackers, and other life-saving fundamentals through the use of discussion, demonstration, and extensive live-fire application. This is a one day class.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Chris, perhaps you can have a link on your website where anyone interested in any future class you offer can sign up for an alert when you try to schedule one as people might not hit "Carolinas" here that often and might miss your scheduling of a class.

Walsh

Link Posted: 10/24/2009 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Chris, perhaps you can have a link on your website where anyone interested in any future class you offer can sign up for an alert when you try to schedule one as people might not hit "Carolinas" here that often and might miss your scheduling of a class.

Walsh

If you follow this link and scroll to the bottom of the page you will see a place that will allow you to register for email updates from us. If you do subscribe to our updates, please add [email protected] and [email protected] to your list of acceptable emailers so our emails dont get dumped into your spam folder.

On the shotgun note, we have had a great increase recently in people asking for this course. If you are interested, feel free to post here as well as email us asking for the course.  We are tentively looking at holding in the 1st quarter of 2010 and it will probably be held in Carthage, NC unless someone can locate a useable range that works out better for everyone. As always; if you have any questions about this course or anything else we offer; feel free to ask away. If you dont want to post it here, email me at [email protected].
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 5:20:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Interested!
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 6:36:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm in!

I'll also sign up for a pistol II class if you guys hold another one of those this year.

Can't afford the ammo for another rifle class.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I am interested, with my wife interested in taking this class as well. That round count is very reasonable, affordable and most importantly, available locally...........Especially if I can finish my thunderstick project, just need to finish with ordering a couple parts.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#5]
6 hours away. I wish I could. I will get to one of your classes sooner or later!
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 6:34:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am interested, with my wife interested in taking this class as well. That round count is very reasonable, affordable and most importantly, available locally...........Especially if I can finish my thunderstick project, just need to finish with ordering a couple parts.

Hopefully you can have it done in time. We are looking at a Feb or March period for doing it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
6 hours away. I wish I could. I will get to one of your classes sooner or later!

We have a great deal on a hotel in the area of the class.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I would be game, should be home by then.  March is definitely better than February.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

For those who know some of the "code" used in the classes....that wink JUUUUST might have you a little worried...LOL

Walsh

P.S. The hotel was $60 and I'd say AAA with plenty to eat in the morning if it's going to be held at that range.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would be game, should be home by then.  March is definitely better than February.

If you're deployed to Afghanistan the rest of us will wait for you to get home safe and sound.

Thank you for your service,

Semper Fi,
Walsh

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:45:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For those who know some of the "code" used in the classes....that wink JUUUUST might have you a little worried...LOL

Hey now, that was a quality establishment, and those girls were very friendly, if a little underdressed for the weather.  Their male friend also drove a very cool car!
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd be interested in this course as well...

Need to get to some training in.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#13]
brand new Mossberg 590A1 that needs some breaking in (me too).

In for March if the class is not too far from Thomasville.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
brand new Mossberg 590A1 that needs some breaking in (me too).

In for March if the class is not too far from Thomasville.

It will likely be in Carthage
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#15]
We will likely be putting up something for sale to help cover the costs of dual home thundersticks (hers being NIB)––-we both need the training as I am out of town more often for work when I am in fact working  
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm interested in the shotgun class but I really need training in the use of my AR.

I figure a handgun course would be the most useful though, as it's pretty much always around me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're deployed to Afghanistan the rest of us will wait for you to get home safe and sound.

Thank you for your service,

Semper Fi,
Walsh

Thanks for the offer––I should be back by then for sure.  It will be a fun course for sure!

Thank you for the well wishes.

Bill

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm interested in the shotgun class but I really need training in the use of my AR.

I figure a handgun course would be the most useful though, as it's pretty much always around me.

You know, we do teach classes that cover all three of those topics.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 6:07:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You didn't have any listed on the website though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 6:35:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Taggety

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 7:55:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You didn't have any listed on the website though.

We're in the middle of creating our 2010 training calender hence why you dont see anything listed yet. It'll be up there soon.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes> I am interested in a shotgun class as soon as possible.  I am in Jacksonville.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#23]
After 100 rounds of birdshot, my shoulder feels like Jello.  

I'd like to do that course, but the round count is a bit high and I don't know if my pansy ass can take it.  

Tell me MOAR about a handgun/rifle/shotgun class.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'd like to do that course, but the round count is a bit high and I don't know if my pansy ass can take it.  

Sounds like you could use one of those Knoxx stocks.

I don't own one but I've heard they are very good.

I just have a regular 12 gauge 870 with that limbsaver pad. Even 1oz slugs don't phase me but that may be due to the youth.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Sounds like you could use one of those Knoxx stocks.

I don't own one but I've heard they are very good.

I have a Knoxx stock and it clearly decreases recoil. Easy to install too. I think I could fire many hundred of rounds of birsdshot with no problem.

Walsh

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

We cover a method of controling recoil that should limit how bad your shoulder feels at the end of the day.

We dont have a single course that covers all three topics. If we did something like that it would have to be 3 days long with each day dedicated to a certain weapon system. It would probably run handgun/shotgun/rifle.  In this course, like our one day rifle course, we wont be doing any pistol work either, so we'll be able to focus entirely on the shotgun and how best to use it.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#27]
What would be better for class, an 870 or a benelli M1?  Both?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

On a related note, what's best for the carbine course?

1. The AR that I don't really know how to shoot & have barely enough ammo for.

2. The SAR1/AK clone that I have plenty of ammo for.

There's currently no optics on either but the AK has a red laser.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#29]
The AR so you will learn how to use it properly.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Kinda what I was wondering as well.
Interested in the class depending on date/work schedule.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's what I'm leaning towards but I've only got about 1240 rounds of .223 & that's including my Hornady Match grade ammo.

On the other hand is about 3,000 rounds of 7.62x39mm.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#32]
The one day course had us burn close to 500 rounds.  It was well worth it.  It might be something I do every year.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I'm leaning towards but I've only got about 1240 rounds of .223 & that's including my Hornady Match grade ammo.

On the other hand is about 3,000 rounds of 7.62x39mm.

I was told that open sights would be fine (which they were) and to bring to the class what I would bring to the fight. For the AR course I bought a quick attach belt that accepts modular items such as magazine pouches.

Here's what I was able to shoot later in the day from 15 yds using sights and not any sighting system as we were given commands from low ready to fire. Some were single shots and some were combinations such as two to the chest and one to the head. I have six rounds that missed left in the door frame.

When I take the 2 day class I'll likely have an Aimpoint, but I'm glad I was forced to work the gun as I did and as you can see from the photos, I had to tell my wife it will be over quickly, but she might have to take one (or two) rounds for the team! [8D

I would bring to the carbine class what your choice of weapon to grab if things go bump in the night (Paul and Steve told me that in an e-mail prior to the class) and consider the ammo to be the cost of learning how to save your life. This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around

Walsh
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Funny thing is, as good as that target looks, the DCNC guys are constantly pushing you to be better. Chris might say that 5 or so of those hits are acceptable!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Funny thing is, as good as that target looks, the DCNC guys are constantly pushing you to be better. Chris might say that 5 or so of those hits are acceptable!!

Exactly Right!....and since there are some "code words" we can't reveal online as to what actions to take, at least we didn't hear "Keyser Sose"...that would be where you shoot the woman right away to get that problem taken care of...LOL

Maybe we can incorporate "Keyser Sose" next time? It could be for guys in a bad marriage as it's going to be their only chance.

DISCLAIMER: I'm kidding!

Walsh

P.S. My brother is on his third wife and lost two houses in divorces. I have a strong feeling he'd have gone Keyser Sose if he could have.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I was told that open sights would be fine (which they were) and to bring to the class what I would bring to the fight. For the AR course I bought a quick attach belt that accepts modular items such as magazine pouches.

I don't have any fancy pouches. I've got a jean jack with pockets inside for 4 AR mags if that would work.

When I take the 2 day class I'll likely have an Aimpoint, but I'm glad I was forced to work the gun as I did and as you can see from the photos, I had to tell my wife it will be over quickly, but she might have to take one (or two) rounds for the team! [8D

Pretty good. I hope your spouse is left handed.

I can't afford the Aimpoint right now but I do plan to get an optic eventually.

I would bring to the carbine class what your choice of weapon to grab if things go bump in the night (Paul and Steve told me that in an e-mail prior to the class) and consider the ammo to be the cost of learning how to save your life. This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around  

That would be the 870.  I'll probably bring the AR. I think it would be a great rifle to have if I could just learn how to use it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:59:54 AM EDT
[#37]
For our carbine class your back pocket or a jacket will work fine. We've had quite a few people do our courses with iron sighted carbines (AR and AK) and they've done well. Optics certainly aren't needed

If you want to stretch your ammo dollar, shoot a portion of the course with normal ammo then switch to a 22 conversion kit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top