Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2010 5:54:55 AM EDT
How do I proceed? I bought from a private party in AZ, so he's going to take the gun to a FFL after I give him directions on how to proceed. How do I find a NJ FFL and what do I need to say to them? What paperwork needs to go to the FFL in AZ-  and is there paperwork that needs to go from the FFL in AZ to the FFL in NJ??  Fees on both sides?Does there need to be specific paperwork with the gun while it's in transit?

Thanks guys....

s
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:05:49 AM EDT
[#1]
What part of the State are you in? They are many FFL's who would do the transfer.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:23:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Montclair - Clifton border...
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:25:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I've heard good thing about this guy.

Jim Flynn's Truck Repair Inc
2135 State Highway 31, Glen Gardner, NJ 08826
(908) 537-6446

Talk to Jim he is the gun guy.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:27:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Action Shooters Supply
267 Haledon Ave
Haledon, NJ 07508
973-942-6464

Much closer to Clifton/Montclair.  As long as it's not an AK variant, you should be good to go.  Call him up - tell him you'd like to set up a transfer and give him the fax number of the shipping FFL.  He generally won't let you know when your gun arrives, so ask the shipper to give you tracking info.

Also close to Clifton/Montclair:
Bruce Smith, Sr.
Lincoln Park True Value Hardware
206 Main St, Lincoln Park, NJ 07035
973-694-1150

I've never used him personally but have read good things about him on another forum.  He only does transfers from what I understand.  Doesn't have any inventory.

ETA:  regarding your questions about doing the transfer.  The only paperwork you need to fill out will be at the receiving NJ FFL - all the typical stuff you'd fill out when you're buying a gun in a store.  Fees vary from FFL to FFL.  Action charges $25 + NICS fee on used guns and I believe Bruce Smith also charges something similar (+/-$5).
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#5]
FWIW - it's just a plane jane handgun. No mods, no restrictions, and no question whether it's legal or not.

So - do I go to the FFL before the gun is sent by the out of state dealer - or just give them a call to give them a heads up?

How about The Bullett Hole in Belleville or Meltzers in Hawthorne? Has anyone used them with any success?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:59:33 AM EDT
[#6]
You just call to set up the transfer.  The NJ FFL will need the fax number of the AZ FFL, so you need to get that info before contacting the NJ FFL.  Once the gun arrives at the NJ FFL you go to the store to fill out the paperwork, do the NICS check, pay your transfer fees and pick up your gun.

Last time I checked BH charges something like $60 for a transfer.  I've bought new guns there, but won't do transfers with them.  Dunno about Meltzers.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:11:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Here you go:  a Guide to the FFL Transfer Process

Probably easier to understand than my ramblings
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I can recommend Bruce Smith. I have been using him for around 4 years now with no problems. He charges a flat rate of $35 for transfer and Nics on new or used guns. I would use him or Action Shooters. I think Meltzers charges like $75 or more for a transfer.

Bruce Smith, Sr.
Lincoln Park True Value Hardware
206 Main St, Lincoln Park, NJ 07035
973-694-1150
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#9]
HUGE thanks guys....
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've heard good thing about this guy.

Jim Flynn's Truck Repair Inc
2135 State Highway 31, Glen Gardner, NJ 08826
(908) 537-6446

Talk to Jim he is the gun guy.

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top