Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2018 2:13:40 PM EDT
So, I have a 2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD diesel...  143,xxx miles.  New lower ball joints last year, and new shocks (Bilsteins).  Drives/rides like it's brand new.  Looks like it's new.  Makes more power than it did when new (500 RWHP).

Go to have it inspected today for MO inspection, and they say I need a new pitman and idler arm...  Fortunately, when I was buying parts last year, I bought lower and upper ball joints, and an idler assembly and pitman arm.

I tell them I find it hard to believe with as well as it drives that there's the play in it they claim, but whatever.  I'll go home and get the idler assembly and pitman arm.  Labor to install is $250 and change.  They tell me that they don't install customer parts.  So I respond by telling them if they don't want to install my parts, I'll go get a pitman puller and do it myself.  Right now, they're installing my parts.

Is it typical for them to HAVE to find something wrong on inspection?  At this rate, I would have been cheaper to just kept it titled in IL, paid the higher plate cost, and saved the $250 in labor.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, MO ''safety inspections" are just another way to generate revenue for the state.

Places the that do inspections don't make any money off them, so yes most shop's find "something wrong" to recoup the cost of the inspectors license and lost time for doing the inspection.

I submit they could find "something wrong" with a brand new vehicle.

Ask around a you can find a better place that isn't looking to make money for unneeded "repairs".
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, they got me on the labor... It'll be done in an hour, after they had to go get a tool to get the pitman arm off.  So at that point, they will have had it for 4 hours.  They quoted $250 and change for the labor, so I'm going to hold them to it.

I checked what I paid for the idler arm and pitman assembly, and they quoted me damn near $100 more per part than what I paid.  So they were definitely trying to gouge me on parts.

Last year, when they did the lower ball joints and alignment, I paid the extra $20 for the "premium" alignment, which is lifetime alignment.  So, at least they couldn't gouge me on that this time.  I laughed when he said changing the idler/pitman would need an alignment.  Apparently, they don't realize those parts have ZERO to do with alignment, or they do, and are just hoping I don't know any better.

When they dropped me off at the house, I asked the mechanic if he had a minute to kill.  He said sure.  I said I have a surprise for you in the garage.  Opened the door to show him the drag truck in my avatar.  His jaw about hit the ground.  My first statement to him "I know a little more than the average idiot about cars."
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you in the St. Louis area?

If so, I highly recommend Robert's Automotive in St. Charles.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a real hard time feeling sorry for the pieces of shit thieves that lie about needed repairs so they can steal from you. Unfortunately, it seems the rule rather than the exception. Never take them at their word. Always say thanks but no thanks and take it somewhere else. Say nothing and see if they find the same thing.  Chances are they will find nothing. 6x's I have had $700 to $1200 in repairs found and on recheck 100% of the time, nothing was wrong.
The MO HWP regional headquarters used to recheck your car if you suspected it was a phony problem. It is too bad that while the HWY patrol runs constant undercover checks to see if inspection stations are finding problems they apparently have no interest in prosecuting these ripoff joints that charge a customer for repairs they don't need.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you in the St. Louis area?

If so, I highly recommend Robert's Automotive in St. Charles.
View Quote
I'm an hour south of STL in Farmington.

It'll be the last time I go there for an inspection, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#7]
What a crock of shit.  There's more play in the wheel now than I've ever noticed before.  I can move the wheel 2" in either direction before anything happens.  It's like a worn out steering box on a 78 Camaro.

The original steering box on the 65' GMC never had this much play.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Found the fucking problem, and yeah, I'm fucking pissed.

The nut on the pitman arm isn't even tight.  It's so loose that I can wiggle the pitman arm 1/4".  I'll take video here shortly.  Those fuckers are going to have hell to pay Monday.  I'm supposed to help a friend tomorrow work on his drag car in Wright City.  The pitman arm on these trucks are removed/installed with the steering box OUT of the truck.  There's no way to get a socket on the nut, and may not even be enough room to get a wrench of appropriate size on the nut.

Talk about shit work.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn...
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Check this shit out... I'm stranded here at home until Monday morning.  This isn't safe to drive anywhere.

Plaza Tire - Farmington, MO - Massive Safety Failure
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't be waiting until monday...
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wouldn't be waiting until monday...
View Quote
I have no choice.  They are now closed, and closed on Sunday.

I just tightened the nut by hand as best I could.  The ONLY thing stopping it from falling off was that the nut hit the cross member.

My buddy in Wright City is now going to rent a trailer to bring his car down here for me to tune.  Where can we go test around Farmington? lol
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Found your problem. Plaza Tire. Never take anything to them. They don't just do that with inspections. They do that with everything. It's well known around here. I bought tires from them once because they were the only place that had them in stock. They claimed I needed brakes. I said bullshit. I had just changed the oil, filters and checked the truck over because I was leaving on a trip.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#14]
There will be hell to pay come Monday.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#15]
That's absolute bullshit.

Light their crooked asses up.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Make sure Corporate looks at that video.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Didn't you have a thread here about your ball joint replacement?
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 7:29:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Make sure Corporate looks at that video.
View Quote
I plan on calling them when it's over.

Quoted:
Didn't you have a thread here about your ball joint replacement?
View Quote
Yup.  I did the passenger side, and it took me near 10 hours to do it.  Had to make a lot of my own custom fixtures to do it, as Oreilly's gave me the 1/2 ton ball joint removal kit.  I took the other side up to Plaza and they installed it for me.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Good news.

As I was sitting there in the lot this morning at 7:15, waiting for them to open at 7:30, the mechanic that did the work on Saturday walked over and apologized.  He knew EXACTLY what he did.

Once the nut was fixed, they test drove it, aligned the steering wheel, then said thanks.  I told them to hold up, as I lost money from working on Sunday.  After some back and forth, they refunded ALL of my $240 in labor to install the parts (again, I supplied the parts), and only charged me for the inspection sticker.

Things rarely go this well for me.  I'm expecting to die any day now.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Good outcome.  I'm glad that they cleaned up their mess.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Glad it worked out. Did the mechanic give any kind of reason/excuse for having done that?
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:59:42 AM EDT
[#22]
No reason/excuse.

They just called to ask me to remove the Youtube video.

My response was... "Do you realize your mistake could have cost me my life?  You made my truck undrivable, and the average person wouldn't even have noticed.  The ONLY thing that stopped me from losing all steering control on the way home was that the nut hit the cross member under the pitman arm."

His reply was "That's by design", which is f'n laughable.

I told him to take it as a learning lesson, and the video will remain.  I then told him to have a nice day and hung up.  Fuck Plaza.

*ETA*  They banned me from their FB page after I posted the video to the local and corporate pages. Bwahahahahahha.  #NEVERgoingback.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 5:15:51 PM EDT
[#23]
FYI, some of the quick lube places also do inspection.  Less motivation to find major stuff just wiper blades and light bulbs.  Also since you are new to the state and have a diesel, just want to make sure you are aware of the weight limits on towing are based on the plates you have on truck, just something a bit odd here.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
FYI, some of the quick lube places also do inspection.  Less motivation to find major stuff just wiper blades and light bulbs.  Also since you are new to the state and have a diesel, just want to make sure you are aware of the weight limits on towing are based on the plates you have on truck, just something a bit odd here.
View Quote
Can you explain a bit more?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Can you explain a bit more?

Thanks
View Quote
Actually makes sense.  Since the quick lube places don't do auto-repair, such as steering components and what not, they are less likely to write it up unless it's a serious defect.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Glad everything somewhat worked out.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Actually makes sense.  Since the quick lube places don't do auto-repair, such as steering components and what not, they are less likely to write it up unless it's a serious defect.
View Quote
I was asking for a better understanding of towing limits and license plates.

I didn't realize this and I just bought and licensed a Tundra and want to make sure the clerk gave me the correct plates.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I was asking for a better understanding of towing limits and license plates.

I didn't realize this and I just bought and licensed a Tundra and want to make sure the clerk gave me the correct plates.

Thanks
View Quote
Ah.

Trucks/commercial Vehicles:

6,000 lbs.:
Local use: $15.75.
Beyond local: $25.75.
12,000 lbs.:
Local use: $18.25.
Beyond local: $38.25.
18,000 lbs.:
Local use: $20.75.
Beyond local: $63.25.
24,000 lbs.:
Local use: $27.75.
Beyond local: $100.75.

Additional registration renewal fees:

Processing fees:
1 year renewal: $3.50.
2 year renewal: $7.
Late renewal fee: $5.

https://www.dmv.org/mo-missouri/registration-renewal.php

The 12k will cover your Tundra unless you tow at max rating regularly.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Pick up trucks in MO need plate with the weight of the truck and weight of what they are towing.

So they guy with a pickup and a big boat or 5th wheel camper and normal looking license plates most likely is over the limit.

Here is the link and text.    But most guys that tow have 18k or 24 k plates.  Also you can get a back plate if you go out of state and want it so you don't have any issues with police who stop you for no back plate.

https://dor.mo.gov/motorv/fees.php#regisfees

Trucks (“Commercial Vehicles”)
Registration fees for trucks, including all pickup trucks and all utility-type vehicles that are registered as trucks, are determined by your truck’s weight, and whether you will be using the truck locally (within 50 miles from home) or over a wider area. Your truck’s weight includes the weight of any other trailers or property that you might haul during the registration period.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#30]
See OP was faster then Me   with chart.   @Deuskid   @Brassaholic13

Key words
Registration fees for trucks, including all pickup trucks and all utility-type vehicles that are registered as trucks, are determined by your truck’s weight, and whether you will be using the truck locally (within 50 miles from home) or over a wider area. Your truck’s weight includes the weight of any other trailers or property that you might haul during the registration period.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
See OP was faster then Me   with chart.   @Deuskid   @Brassaholic13

Key words
View Quote
Right, and the Tundra weighs about 4k lbs, with a max towing weight of 10.2k.  So unless he's towing 8k+ he's good with 12k.  As someone who's owned 3 tundras in the past (2000, 2005, and 2008), I wouldn't dream of towing more than 8k with a Tundra.  I ditched the Tundra in 2010 for my first diesel.  I had purchased, in 2010, a 28' enclosed trailer to haul the orange GMC in my avatar.  I drove to SE GA to pick up the trailer.  Empty, at 70 all the way there, it got 17mpg, which was horrible.  With an EMPTY 28' trailer, weighing about 2500 lbs, I was filling up the Tundra every 90 minutes.  6.75 MPG.  Tundra rode nice, was quiet, and reliable.  But those trucks cannot tow what they claim, and the top motor in them has not changed in 10 yrs.

I did the 12k on my diesel last year, knowing I wasn't going to tow over 5k lbs.  This renewal, I planned on upping it to the 18k plates.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Great info thanks guys....

is there a 'de minimus' rule on the local part?

My truck sits most of the week in Chesterfield but my farm is 62 miles north.

Actually it is licensed at the farm address so is it a problem that it is stored 62 miles south of its home?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Actually it is licensed at the farm address so is it a problem that it is stored 62 miles south of its home?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

50 miles per the website.

Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#34]
FYI, I don't know anyone outside a true farm truck that gets local plates.   But YMMV

Get what you are saying on the Tundra, makes sense.  I have seen on a rare occasion some 1/2 tons running 18 k plates.  More common I see 3/4 ton with a 5th wheel or big boat running 12k plates.  

But you may want to look at the new Tundra has curb weight 5100 + depending on the model and can tow 6,800-10,100 so you can push the limits of the plate.
But if you are going to tow 10k just get a Diesel.    

Just keep in mind it is truck weight + trailer, plus the stuff in the truck .  Full tank of gas, a few people and bed of stuff (tool box)  and it adds up.   Had a friend take is trailer one time loaded going on a trip on a scale and he was shocked how much he was at.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 6:54:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Any recommendations for veh inspection in the vicinity of FLW/st Robert ?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#36]
@Deuskid @Paul1911

Ok, so I just went up and renewed the plates, and here's some interesting information as to what I was used to in Hellinois.

1.  Plates with 12k gross weight (what I had) get front/rear plates.

2.  Plates with 18k gross weight only get a front plate.

3.  Plates with 18k gross weight expire in December, and thus, I was pro-rated on new plates.

So, from now to the end of Dec 2019, it cost me $120.xx for 18k gross plates.  Still a bargain, since Hellinois is $110/yr for just a B-Truck plate.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
@Deuskid @Paul1911

Ok, so I just went up and renewed the plates, and here's some interesting information as to what I was used to in Hellinois.

1.  Plates with 12k gross weight (what I had) get front/rear plates.

2.  Plates with 18k gross weight only get a front plate.

3.  Plates with 18k gross weight expire in December, and thus, I was pro-rated on new plates.

So, from now to the end of Dec 2019, it cost me $120.xx for 18k gross plates.  Still a bargain, since Hellinois is $110/yr for just a B-Truck plate.
View Quote
Good to know, thanks.

Is there some way to see what gross weight the plates cover?

Is it stated on the plates somewhere?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#38]
I suspected plaza tire before you revealed who the shop was.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Good to know, thanks.

Is there some way to see what gross weight the plates cover?

Is it stated on the plates somewhere?
View Quote
Not that I can tell?  Maybe only 18k plates expire in December?  Dunno?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I suspected plaza tire before you revealed who the shop was.
View Quote
Where bouts do you work again?  I seem to recall it's in the area?
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Yes 18 k plates all exp in dec.  you can pay extra and get a back plate if you want.   I got one.   The did away with being able to get extra one. Then people bitched and you were able to again.  Or right people complained.

Personally I recommend it if u drive out of state.  But local boys all get a John Deere or duramax plate for the back so it looks like the back plate didn’t fall off.

Here is info on extra plate.  It was painless at license office just had to have the woman at counter get more experienced woman to help her since she didn’t do it before. Plate came in mail fairly quick.

Effective August 28, 2013, the owner of a commercial motor vehicle registered for 18,000 lbs or above may be issued a second license plate for the rear of the vehicle. The second plate will have the same configuration as the initial (front) license plate, but will bear a “2” sticker indicating that it is for the rear of the vehicle.

If you wish to apply for a second license plate, you must submit:

Proof of ownership or registration;
A completed Application for Replacement Plate(s)/Tab(s) (Form 1576); and
The $12 fee.
The transaction may be processed at the time of renewal or at any time during the registration period at any Missouri license office. The second plate will be mailed directly to your address (as specified on the application).
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 12:37:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yes 18 k plates all exp in dec.  you can pay extra and get a back plate if you want.   I got one.   The did away with being able to get extra one. Then people bitched and you were able to again.  Or right people complained.

Personally I recommend it if u drive out of state.  But local boys all get a John Deere or duramax plate for the back so it looks like the back plate didn’t fall off.

Here is info on extra plate.  It was painless at license office just had to have the woman at counter get more experienced woman to help her since she didn’t do it before. Plate came in mail fairly quick.

Effective August 28, 2013, the owner of a commercial motor vehicle registered for 18,000 lbs or above may be issued a second license plate for the rear of the vehicle. The second plate will have the same configuration as the initial (front) license plate, but will bear a “2” sticker indicating that it is for the rear of the vehicle.

If you wish to apply for a second license plate, you must submit:

Proof of ownership or registration;
A completed Application for Replacement Plate(s)/Tab(s) (Form 1576); and
The $12 fee.
The transaction may be processed at the time of renewal or at any time during the registration period at any Missouri license office. The second plate will be mailed directly to your address (as specified on the application).
View Quote
Thanks for the info.  Yeah, I think I'd like to have a rear plate to keep from being hassled when I travel back to Hellinois.

*ETA*  I think I'll go do that tomorrow.  Maybe they'll remember me from today.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 12:48:27 AM EDT
[#43]
That shit pisses me off! Had the same thing happen to me last year. different parts but same story.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm still trying to figure out ....

if you [I] have plates....

for what towing capacity are they qualified... legal?
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#45]
On a 3/4 ton GM truck with over 100k there is no doubt in my mind that the idler and pitman arm are both worn out.....and I've changed a ton of them without removing the steering box.

Them leaving the nut loose is fucking pathetic and completely unacceptable.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:07:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Plate weight = weigh of vehicle and contents and trailer and contents.   Or simply put if you put truck and trailer with everything in it on scale that weight needs to be Less then plate.

So 18k plates scale weight of 17,999
18,001 And I get a expensive ticket.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Where bouts do you work again?  I seem to recall it's in the area?
View Quote
I work for the state.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Lot of things covered here.

I Would avoid the quick lube places for inspections. The issue is they don’t know what to check and how to check it. I have seen a  couple cars come in with actual safety issue that were missed during a quick lube safety inspections. ( severe play in suspension components, broken sprig perches)

As far as the lic plates. I was told 2 years ago that they no longer offer a second plate for 18k plates.

With my travel trailer loaded for a camping trip I’m at 13500 lbs. it gets heavier for deer camp. So I run 18k plates on it.  I have been pulled over 1 time for not having a rear plate by a state trooper in Missouri. I told him it was an 18k plate and he apologized and sent me on my way without looking at my lic or insurance.

When I go out of state I keep copies of registration, insurance, and state laws in Missouri.

18k and 24k plates have he wieght in the upper right corner of the plate. That’s how you ID them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top