Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2003 11:28:44 AM EDT
Saw someone open carrying at the Spotsylvania mall today. Was wondering if it was one of y'all.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm curious... what kind of reactions was the guy getting?
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]

I'm curious... what kind of reactions was the guy getting?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:34:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd Rather wear a "Shoot me first!" t-shirt..............UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I only watched the gentelman for a few seconds but nobody around him was paying particular mind nor staring at him. He was dressed in jeans and a navy blue flight jacket. He was carrying a full sized Glock holstered right hand strong side, nice and close to his body with no accessories dangling anywhere else visible on his belt. He was not openly displaying any LEO insignia, which brought me to the conclusion that he was a civilian.
I may be wrong though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#5]
i see yolkles here do it once in a while...
nobdy pays attention.  except me.

but it IS legal isnt it?  not saying id do it.  i think its a good way to ask for trouble.

i say,"walk softly and carry a big,concealed, stick."
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn man I thought they had the no firearms stickers on the doors at Spotsy mall. You know with the gun with a x through it or some shit like that. Could have been Costco.

David it is legal in most counties/cities in VA what you usually get arrested for is disturbing the peace type of stuff or so I have heard.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I am with Underdog on public display of your weapon.  In my humble opinon it is best to keep your weapon hid until (I hope never) you need it.  It certainly would give you the upper hand in most situations.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:56:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I know one VA member on here who open carries 24/7, but he is about 50 miles south of Spotsylvania Mall.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:31:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I am going to put in my 2 cents worth on this issue. Not attempting to start a flame war or anything but it would depend on the situation and place, sometimes a discreet CC would be most beneficial since it would not gain attention to you packing. But on the other hand, an open carry would subdue any idea of the possibility of you becoming a victim.

Think of this factor, you are Joe citizen and you are in a parking lot at a local mall, your being scanned as a potential casualty of a robbery. Dressed better than the average local you are a hard target for, the scum bag. The scumbag looks you over and his buddy tags you as an easy mark for the drop, you show no signs of being a threat to the Perpetrators. You have now become a hard target for a crime. You are packing and have it under cover, they play out the robbery and you respond in kind and they have forced you to implement your weapon. Struggle ensues and you are forced to shoot the shmuck with a knife or pistol. He is shot and you have to answer to your actions with the commonwealth.

On the other hand, you have a weapon openly displayed; you are a menace to a criminal. The criminal only will go the other direction, most of the time. There is no crime, nor your day and possibly your life turned into hell by some scumbag looking for an easy mark. I know we could play out every possible scenario and debate it, but in my humble opinion, I pack large hand held weapons openly every chance I get to legally. And when the situation dictates discretion, CC is most effective. Moral of my rant, common sense and experience prevails.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:48:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I would actually prefer open carry if it were socially acceptible.  If for nothing else than the comfort factor.  This inside the wasteband shit drives me nuts.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I would actually prefer open carry if it were socially acceptible.  If for nothing else than the comfort factor.  This inside the wasteband shit drives me nuts.

My feelings on the subject EXACTLY!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#12]
was it a white guy?  i saw some dude a few day ago 2.  crew cut, white guy, wearing a glock.  i didn't ask which model but i think it was 17. nice gun. nice holster.

how many people from near spotsy mall here.  where yall go shooting at?  i can't find a cheap place to shoot.  the range charge 6 bucks per 30 min.  what the fucking rip off?  i hope they get robbed orsomething.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#13]
i totally agree with long rifle tactical dude.

he's legit, man.  rock on brother.

i prefer carry open 2 because bitches and punk will know i refuse to be victim.  i have nra sticker on my front and back bumper in addition to side window.  i also have nra sticker on my house door 2.  it is my way of saying i got what they don't want to fuck with.  some people chose adt, i choose my 2nd amendment.

most people would fucking freak if they see a gun.  black people and <<Racist slur removed--do NOT do this!!  --thebeekeeper1>> will try to act stupid and make fun of you.  yeah, it is still a crime to kill people because their stupidity, but wouldn't it be nice though????  just eliminiate the bad elements and we can all walk proud.  it is crazy to think that those punks would make fun of us carrying it open legally while they pack bb gun just to pretent shit.  this is why i shed no tear when some cop pop a kid packing bb gun.  i would pop them myself ifthey wave that daisy at me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:27:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I respectfully take the CCW route....The argument that no one will mess with you when you open carry is a mood point.....Rattlesnakes are obviously dangerous yet stupid people pick them up all the time....I KNOW I'm carrying a Firearm,that is enough for me.
Don't get me wrong I support our right to open carry,I just don't practice it...I deal with enough morons everyday not to add the "is that real?","can I touch it?",and "who are you?Rambo?" types......UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#15]
asian thug, would you try to act like an adult, please?

We have enough kids that come here to AR15.com and act like kids.

Clean up the language, learn to type, and stop acting like you are a 'thug'.

It's childish.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

There are people that do just that.  As the quote goes, liberty/rights are like muscles in that they must be exercised to keep them.

Some people refuse to ask for a permit to exercise their right to self defense.  They only carry openly, which is allowed by law in most places.  There are a few places in VA (the city of Falls Church, for example) that have grandfathered laws against open carry.  The new pre-emption law in Virginia does nullify the enforcement of that ordinance, but only for CHL holders.  Those that refuse to be a subject are still bound by such silliness.

It is sad to see that the propaganda has spread so far as to surprise even us board members when someone carries openly.  I must say I fall prey to the same mindset at times.  Having carried openly, I can confirm that it is a unique feeling to have someone note the surprise to their companion behind your back.

Still, I am curious to know if it was a board member.  I got a haircut after work the other day, and came across someone open carrying.  It didn't dawn on me to think if they were LE or not, as I was more interested in his 1911.  A badge of some sort was clipped snugly beside his holster; however, after he left I remember how many of those "CCW" badges I have seen people wearing...
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#17]
If you by chance was at Lulu’s barbershop in Manassas on Sunday, December 14th it may have been I. Sporting a high and tight.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I am going to put in my 2 cents worth on this issue. Not attempting to start a flame war or anything but it would depend on the situation and place, sometimes a discreet CC would be most beneficial since it would not gain attention to you packing. But on the other hand, an open carry would subdue any idea of the possibility of you becoming a victim.

Think of this factor, you are Joe citizen and you are in a parking lot at a local mall, your being scanned as a potential casualty of a robbery. Dressed better than the average local you are a hard target for, the scum bag. The scumbag looks you over and his buddy tags you as an easy mark for the drop, you show no signs of being a threat to the Perpetrators. You have now become a hard target for a crime. You are packing and have it under cover, they play out the robbery and you respond in kind and they have forced you to implement your weapon. Struggle ensues and you are forced to shoot the shmuck with a knife or pistol. He is shot and you have to answer to your actions with the commonwealth.

On the other hand, you have a weapon openly displayed; you are a menace to a criminal. The criminal only will go the other direction, most of the time. There is no crime, nor your day and possibly your life turned into hell by some scumbag looking for an easy mark. I know we could play out every possible scenario and debate it, but in my humble opinion, I pack large hand held weapons openly every chance I get to legally. And when the situation dictates discretion, CC is most effective. Moral of my rant, common sense and experience prevails.

We usually carry open at the dinner break during the training courses sponsored by the PFDC. This simply involves patronizing the local Denny's/Kings/EatN'Park type establishment.

Occasionally we get stares from other patrons but the management has never made it a big deal.

We are testing the waters for a much more benign reason ....... convenience. It's simply uncomfortable to carry deep concealment for extended periods of time (IWB, etc.) or NOT be able to remove your coat / parka in the colder seasons when you dine out or go to the movies.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Makes me think of getting 20 people from here and go out someplace public and have all of us open carrying.    Get the public trained right.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 1:12:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Makes me think of getting 20 people from here and go out someplace public and have all of us open carrying.    Get the public trained right.  

It would be fine by me, We would have to use common sense about who we took where and how we carried our selves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top