Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 4:39:01 AM EDT
I'm planning on going this weekend, and bringing home a brand new 4" Springfield Armory 'USGI 1911A1'  (unless you guys have some compelling info as to why that would be a poor choice).   I'll obviously need a handful of mags as well and wanted to get from you guys a) what's the best-value brand to look for (Colt? MecGar?) and b) what is the "going rate" on 1911 mags these days (e.g. at what price should I not hesitate, and at what price should I expect a kiss & reacharound for?)

Lastly, any pointers on which dealers have the best prices and selection on new SA 1911s (I often end up snow-blind at gunshows)?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:47:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the best mags are the Metalform 7-rounders, with Wilson 7-rounders a close second.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:51:34 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 on the wilson mags.  All I use except for a couple USGI I "liberated"
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:02:20 AM EDT
[#3]
The best mags out there are the Tripp Research Cobra Mags  They can be kinda spendy if you buy them retail (Tripp sells them factory direct), but well worth it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:30:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm planning on going this weekend, and bringing home a brand new 4" Springfield Armory 'USGI 1911A1'  (unless you guys have some compelling info as to why that would be a poor choice).   ...
Thanks!

The Champion (Commander) sized one that's parked?  I have one.

mm
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:49:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm planning on going this weekend, and bringing home a brand new 4" Springfield Armory 'USGI 1911A1'  (unless you guys have some compelling info as to why that would be a poor choice).   ...
Thanks!

The Champion (Commander) sized one that's parked?  I have one.

mm

Yes.... preferably OD park'd, but I dont see it listed in anyting but black.

So, it $25ea. good price for a 7rnd Wilson mag?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:51:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:58:02 AM EDT
[#7]
You might look at Mec-gar mags also , i have one, so far , so good........$ 17.00 ea. too. [ 7 rnds.]
They look like the Novaks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The best mags out there are the Tripp Research Cobra Mags  They can be kinda spendy if you buy them retail (Tripp sells them factory direct), but well worth it.

The Cobra Mags get my vote.  I have never had a single problem with mine.   I have not yet tried the Wilson Combat mags, so can't offer an opinion on them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hands down the Wilson Combat mags are the best. Since mags are the determining factor as to whether the gun functions or not, why would you buy cheap mags. Wilson are a one time purchase, they work, and they will last you forever.

Do you have any for sale Robbie?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Everyone is recommending Wilson mags, but I have to add, I recommend sticking with 7-rounds and NOT 8.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Everyone is recommending Wilson mags, but I have to add, I recommend sticking with 7-rounds and NOT 8.

What He Said.......my 8 rnd. mags are for the range only, i carry 7 +1.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Get the Tripp mags and you can carry 8+1.

I have a Kimber Pro Tac II that would not function reliably with Wilson 8 round mags, but ran fine when I switched to Wolff 7 round springs.  It functions perfectly with the Tripp 8 rounders.

I also use the Tripp 10 rounders in USPSA Limited 10.  No problems.  Lots of problem with Wilson and CMC 10 round mags.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#14]
 I have the GI model, is comes parked.  I think the various MilSpec models come with different finishes.

Mine was an impulse buy, at the moment I just had to have a 1911.

mm
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:20:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I would HIGHlY recommend either the Wilson like everyone else or maybe the Chip Mc Cormick mags.  I have had both for over 15 years and only one word FLAWLESS!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Is this going to be a carry pistol?

IIRC, the GI's are not lowered and flared, like the milspecs are.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, Wilson makes 7 rounders also.

I never said not to get Wilson's, just to stick to 7-round mags, whether he gets Metalform, Wilson, CMC, etc.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:48:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Is this going to be a carry pistol?

IIRC, the GI's are not lowered and flared, like the milspecs are.

Lowered and Flared?  Is that like Chopped & Dropped?  

But seriously.... it would be for rare carry occaisions... and if I'm to believe the SA website, the milspec is only available in 5" and the sites look "real snaggy"... plus, I'm kind of a fan of lanyard rings.  Below is what I'm leaning towards... and below it is a milspec.

GI

Milspec

And here's my usual "deep-carry" pistol demonstrating the home-grown lanyard ring

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:22:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I would HIGHlY recommend either the Wilson like everyone else or maybe the Chip Mc Cormick mags.  I have had both for over 15 years and only one word FLAWLESS!

+1
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:53:34 AM EDT
[#22]
The top picture resembles most the 1911 I have.

mm
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:15:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Love my Champs.

Stainless Loaded & GI Lightweight.

I'm thinking of taking that GI to Robbie to have some dovetails cut for decent sights.  

Personally, I've had the best luck with whatever mags come with 'em.  I also have one Chip McCormick 8-round powermag that seems to work great.  Of all the factory Colt Shooting Star-produced mags I have, none will reliably lock the slide back on an empty mag.  Did a Wilson conversion on one of them, and it worked for a while but eventually began doing the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:28:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Love my Champs.

Stainless Loaded & GI Lightweight....

Sweet!  Does the GI Lightweight use a normal GI barrel bushing or some sort of guiderod nonsense?  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:47:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Bull bbl and dual spring guide rod, which is fine by me since I have experience with it now (hint:  you don't really need any special tools to field strip).  Springfield hasn't used a bushing on anything but their 5" guns for quite some time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Bull bbl and dual spring guide rod, which is fine by me since I have experience with it now (hint:  you don't really need any special tools to field strip).  Springfield hasn't used a bushing on anything but their 5" guns for quite some time.

Hmm...maybe I'm misusing the term "bushing" then.  The pix I posted (even the 4" USGI) appear to have the "push the spring plunger and rotate the thingy to field-strip it" arrangement I'm accustomed to on pre-GCA68 Milsurp 1911's... whereas the pic on SA's website for the lightweight one and your pic seems to not show that.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:56:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, their pics show a standard bushing & plug.  I'm not even sure if they put out any productions models with that setup.  If they did, they're few and far between.  I seem to recall someone over at 1911forum.com claiming that some of the Champion pics on Springfield's website were simply manipulated (Photoshop) to come up with what they needed...  Don't know exactly how accurate that is, though.

ETA:  Older Champs did have the standard bushing & plug with the short GI-style guide rod.

Also, here's where I saw that Photoshop info:  forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=122142&highlight=Champion+bushing
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#28]
well, then I'll either be bringing home a 5" GI, or shopping for another make.... any recommendations on 4" models that are otherwise true to milspec?  Charles Daly?  Rock Island?  Trying to keep it in the $600 +/- range. Anything I should definately avoid (like the Llama I have in my nightstand)?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Get a 5" Springfield, they run better than most short slides anyway.
My Lt. Wt. loaded had a full length rod, $13 dollars later i had a GI guide and plug, changed it out as soon as i got home........usless shit  anyway.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#30]
I recently traded my 4" Kimber on a 5" Kimber and I'm much happier.  I've been rigging up the Kimber to be my dedicated range gun for IDPA stuff.

My Springfield Parkerized Loaded is a great pistol, too.  That's the one I carry, which says a lot about the quality.

I am probably the only kid on my block that has issues with Wilson magazines.  I think the springs are too weak on the Wilsons and I wind up replacing my magazine springs.  Other than that, they're really nice magazines, and when I replace the springs, I put in the Wolff springs, which gives the mag a real kick in the pants.  I can usually tell when a Wilson is giving out when it won't trip the slide stop when empty...

Most of my magazines now are Chip McCormick Power Mags.  Those seem to run flawlessly in my guns.  That doesn't mean you'd have the same experience, but it's mine.  Like I said, I'm the only guy I know to have had problems with Wilson mags, but it just kind of killed my confidence in them.  I'm sure I'm possessed or something.  

I haven't had any problems with 8 round magazines, and at least for the last several years or so, Colt and Kimber have been shipping their pistols stock with 8 round magazines.  Springfield still ships with 7s.  I haven't even tried the stock magazines that came with my Springfield since I have so many aftermarket magazines lying around anyway.

Good luck and have a great time at the show!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I'm thinking of taking that GI to Robbie to have some dovetails cut for decent sights.  

Who is Robbie? Is he a 1911 gunsmith in the DFW area?

I just ordered an SA full size loaded, and expect I'll end up needing an expert to help me fiddle with it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:26:06 AM EDT
[#32]
How much do 1911’s usually run for?? Im going out to MH this weekend and I think I will only have $225. If I can’t get it this weekend I will haft to hold off until the next show.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:27:58 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who is Robbie? Is he a 1911 gunsmith in the DFW area?

I just ordered an SA full size loaded, and expect I'll end up needing an expert to help me fiddle with it.

Robbie = Roseco (board dealer) = Lone Star Wholesale.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
How much do 1911’s usually run for?? Im going out to MH this weekend and I think I will only have $225. If I can’t get it this weekend I will haft to hold off until the next show.

While it's possible to find something that looks like a 1911 for around $225, that's going to put you in a range where you find a lot of "out of spec" types of quasi-1911s that just, well, don't work.  They wind up taking quite a bit of smithing to get to run at all.  I can't speak for the Rock Island 1911s, though.  I've never even handled one and I've seen them in that range.  They're made in the Philippines, and from what I've heard, to Philippine military specifications.  They may work with a minimum of tomfoolery.

I think the best entry-level 1911s are in the Springfield GI line.  They're no-frills 1911A1s, built as closely to what grand-dad was issued in WW-II as Springfield can get them.  They are a great platform for making a custom 1911 for that very reason.  They retail for about $500, but can often be found for much less at gun shows.

Cheers,

kk7sm
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:13:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Ok, so I got it!  I wanted it in OD but when they said they'd been ordering them for weeks with none showing up, I settled for it in black... as shown below.  Oh, and it was about $450 after tax.

At the show, I looked for Cobra mags and found none.  Looked also for Wilson 7rnd mags, but only found 8rnd or 10rnd models.  I'm not a big fan of those that stick out below the well, and I'm now reading that Metalform MAY be the maker of the mags that come with the Springfields.  I have a coupon for 7rnd mags for $9 each from Springfield, which I am strongly leaning toward unless someone can confirm that they are in fact NOT the preferred metalform make - either way, I have a hard time imagining Springfield would select a mag make that would not function reliably in their pistols.  

I field stripped and cleaned it (it was literally dripping oil - better than cosmoline though) and working the slide.  It still drips oil from the trigger and thumbsafety - more than my Harley drips! - so I sop it up whenever I see it.  I need to break it in now, but would just as soon wait till I have a handful of mags so I can try them out too.  And what the hell's that yellow paint on the recoil spring?  

P.S.  I got to meet/see several of you at the show.  Sorry I couldnt make it to lunch, but still great to catch up.  Hope it went well and the dinner and the shoot Sunday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top