Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2009 2:03:04 PM EDT
For you guys that daily carry (I'm not talking about range-only gear) your 1911, what's your holster of choice and why?  Is IWB practical?  I know its only a single stack, but 5" of barrel has to go somewhere.  Do you carry mags on you (7+1 is a lot less than 10 or 15+1)?

And I don't think this violates the CoC - where are you getting ammo now?  Everywhere online is sold out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#1]
K&D Holsters Dakota IWB and two spare mags. I carry from the time I get out of bed till I go back to sleep. The barrel isn't an issue as long as you have a good holster and a GREAT belt. I also use a Crossbreed Supertuck. Slightly cheaper and a much shorter wait.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Some are reccomending the MTAC ot the CTAC ... I dont have experience with either since I do not carry on a daily basis.

I have heard the hardest part of hiding a 1911 is not the barrel .... its the grip.  And with only 7+1 I would deffinately want atleast another 14 with me.

That is the reason that so many have gone to a hicap wundernine was for the mag capacity and getting away from having to carry spare mags.  But I still would carry a spare with me just in case.  Easiest way to clear a jam, drop the mag, insert a new one and rack the slide once again.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been considering the 1911 for carry for some time now.  I'm leaning towards the CompTac holsters, myself.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Without knowing your body type, it's hard to make a definitive recommendation. I'm 5'10 170 and I carry a G19 in an IWB made by UBG holsters (leather). I've had a CTAC and I hated it. It's a good idea, but it just does not conceal well for me. The UBG holster forms very well to the contour of the body and the grip is actually high enough to obtain a proper grip, unlike the CTAC which put the grip so low I had to readjust the grip before a completed draw.

link for the lazy http://www.ubgholsters.com/

The exact holster I have is the "Canute". The price is fair and turn around time is reasonable.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I carry a full sized 1911 in a milt sparks VM2 IWB.. i hardly even know it's there.. Works great for me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I carry a full sized 1911 in a milt sparks VM2 IWB.. i hardly even know it's there.. Works great for me.

This.

I love my MTAC for my M&P, but I have an aversion to carrying a 1911 in kydex, even if it's only half Kydex.

I have the VMII for both my 5" and 3" 1911's.  It's extremely comfortable, good weight distribution, and I use the horse hide version so summer carry isn't .
TT makes what I call the "VMII clone" and I've read really good reviews on their stuff.  Looks almost identical to the VMII but has more of a "lip" on the belt loops, which intrigues me.  I may have to give one of them a try.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Ken Null.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry my 5" 1911 in a Blackhawk CQC Serpa.  I do so because I hate fumbling with thumb breaks, but want some sort of security/retention measure, and I like to carry condition one- back to the thumb break thing.  Every time I have found a thumb break holster I can deal with, it does not allow for C1 carry.  The Serpa is also fully adjustable for cant, height and retention strength.

Here's the Serpa: http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SERPA-CQC-wMatte-Finish,1145,1410.htm

I really want a Bianchi Model 82 CarryLok.  Same idea as the Blackhawk, but made from leather instead of carbon fiber or kydex.

Here's the CarryLok:
http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=82

I also carry 2 spare Wilson Combat mags (8 is better than 7) in a Fobus paddle pouch.  I'm not too fond of the pouch, as it allows the mags to fall out if turned upside down or on the run, so I'm actively looking for a better solution.  Here's the pouch, anyway: http://www.fobusholster.com/products/DOUBLE_MAGAZINE_PADDLE_POUCH_SINGLE_STACK_9mm_357_40_45-1886-126.html
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I use Sam Andrews http://andrewsleather.com/

The McDaniel II to be precise.

Being a 1911 he usually has them in stock. The photo is bass ackwards the suede side is out for grip and the slick side is in towards the weapon.

Cant is fully adjustable  and I get the body shield option on my others and the thumb strap for my 1911's.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry my full size in a Kirk Patrick leather...its not IWB....it has the rt amount of cant to keep the grip on my side were it dosent print or stick out very bad at all
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 4:35:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 4:54:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I am one of the guys that is continually naming the same three holsters for IWB of any type/size of pistol - Comp-Tac CTAC or MTAC and Milt Sparks VMII.

For me personally these three do the trick. They are all extremely comfortable, stable, and concealable. Like someone else said, it's the grip that affects concealability rather than the barrel length. Yes, the barrel has to go somewhere but what's the difference between Commander and Govt? 3/4 inch is not much.

I am kind of like John though with my 1911s. I just can't shove them in Kydex. I prefer leather for my 1911s so the VMII is my choice, also in horse.

I normally carry one extra mag in a Comp-Tac single mag pouch.

Disclaimer: I am a small guy going 5'6" @ 155 lbs and I have no problems concealing a Govt 1911.

EDIT: I used a Andrews McD II for a while with my steel frame Commander. It concealed fine and was pretty comfy but I didn't feel it was very stable with only the one belt loop. I seemed to always be tugging at it. I much prefer the VMII with two belt attachments.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 5:24:38 AM EDT
[#13]
+1 for Milt Sparks

The Summer Special II works great for me when carrying a 5" 1911.  They're typically available from Brownells if you don't want to wait or can't for some reason.
The EX or "Executive Companion" rides very secure but is hot in the summer time due to all teh leather.
The 55BN is OWB and is available in a straight drop or "FBI cant".  It rides high and tight and works well with a suit or a t-shirt.

All of these are premium leather, all hand made, and have a reinforced "mouth" to keep the holster open after the pistol is drawn aiding in reholstering.

The VMII is the hot Sparks holster to have lately. They are commanding a premium price when found on the EE or even the bay.  The Watch Six is similar to the VMII and may be easier to pick up.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 6:11:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Not that I really expected it to be easy, but so....many....to....look....at....

Seriously though, thanks for the recommendations.  I looked through them all online last night.  Someone asked about size - I'm not a small guy.  6'1" and 240 lbs.  The reason I asked about the barrel length is because I currently carry and XD9 sub (3") anywhere from 3:30 - 5:30.  I like it more to the side for reach, but have to wear it past 5:00 to sit comfortably in my car (very deeply bolstered seats).  Since my jeans ride fairly low, I'm a little worried about sitting on the end of the barrel of a 5" 1911.  My XD is already starting to wear an area just above the back pocket to the point my wife noticed and said I was getting a hole in my jeans.

I would consider OWB, but its been alleged that I carry in places that are not so gun friendly - like dropping my kids off at daycare.  I currently use a Crossbreed Supertuck (kydex) which is comfortable enough, but I would prefer leather for the 1911.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 6:17:11 AM EDT
[#15]
When I'm going to be in a car all day I wear a shoulder holster.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I ordered the Milt Sparks Axiom at the beginning of March. That one is OWB. If you want to order from them directly remember they open for orders at the beginning of the month and will take orders until they reach their limit.  

Might also want to look at Bulman Gunleather  Pat has a belt and holster from them that he's been very happy with.

Another option is Lightning Arms
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Another option is Lightning Arms

Craig & Audrey are great!
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I've emailed them several times with holster questions and they have been very nice and prompt in their replies.  I am ordering my belt through them.

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Moose11B, there are more than a couple "operators" who were shot thanks to the Serpa holster.  The problem was dragging the trigger finger off the holster button and into the trigger guard while under stress.  Just FYI.

Mark

Mark you have any documentation or first hand reports on this? I keep hearing this but have yet to find one person that has personally been involved. It's starting to sound like a wolf ammo/extractor story.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I daily carry my 5.5 inch 1911 in an Milt Sparks VersaMax2. I usually throw a few mags in a pocket because I forgot to purchase a mag holder.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Any recommendations for a good OWB belt holster for range use?

Book- what model safariland are you using?
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

As Book said do not get the Blackhawk Serpa. I have one and they way it's set up with the release button, its a bad day waiting to happen.

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As Book said do not get the Blackhawk Serpa. I have one and they way it's set up with the release button, its a bad day waiting to happen.

Want to give it to me then?
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I am using a Andrews Palmer Practical . I would recommend it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I carry a Commander 1911 and use a Kirkpatrick OWB and the Andrews McDaniel pictured above for IWB, both real nice hosters for not a ton of money or long wait. When I carry I drop a mag in my pocket.

For Kydex I have a couple of G-Code holsters that I have been real happy with, so keep those in mind for a good range holster or competition. For the mag holder you can't go wrong with the BladeTech injected molded stuff. I have a few of these and they work great for a resonable price.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#27]
DJ,

I'm 6', 240 lbs also, and I carry a gov't length in a cheapo don Hume IWB. I actually like it better than my MTAC for the 1911.  Granted the MTAC was the most comfortable holster I've ever put on, I found a few problems with the 1911 body. For my G23 it works great, tho. I'm a lefty so I carry at about 8:30, but it stays put and is easy to take off if I have to.

For OWB I have a Tagua. No complaints about it, either.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#28]
The kirkpatrick TSS is what I am looking for.  Not a bad price either.  Thanks for the suggestion GA1911.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#29]
this is my next 1911 holster.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:27:54 AM EDT
[#30]
TAP...I have Compact Under Cover which is designed for smaller pistols. I think anything you buy from Kirkpatrick will be nice quality. I think the wait was about four or five weeks when I bought mine.

I have a Don Hume Agent 711 Open Top OWB that I bought for my Government model that I only used about three or four times that I would give you a deal on if you are interested.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:53:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Moose11B, there are more than a couple "operators" who were shot thanks to the Serpa holster.  The problem was dragging the trigger finger off the holster button and into the trigger guard while under stress.  Just FYI.

Mark

Mark you have any documentation or first hand reports on this? I keep hearing this but have yet to find one person that has personally been involved. It's starting to sound like a wolf ammo/extractor story.

I've seen the reports- they were both police officers, and the weapons were both Glocks if I'm not mistaken.

With a double action pistol, it is a valid concern, and I would look elsewhere for a good Glock holster.  I won't say that it is a non-issue for a single action pistol, but for me it is a non-issue.  I don't manipulate the safety until the weapon is up and downrange- even in stress situations.  I have trained it into habit that the way that I draw the weapon doesn't even place  my thumb on the safety while drawing- only when my non-firing hand meets the frame of the pistol do my thumb and trigger finger engage their surfaces fully.

Again, I do agree that this type of holster is a valid concern with a DA pistol, but it all comes down to TRAINING TRAINING TRAINING.  In a true stress situation, you do not rise to the occasion- you fall to the basics of your training.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:30:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:The belt play a HUGE role in comfort and IMHO is a more important decision than what holster you use.

What's the most important factors in choosing a good belt?  I'm just using my normal leather belt at the moment.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:45:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:The belt play a HUGE role in comfort and IMHO is a more important decision than what holster you use.

What's the most important factors in choosing a good belt?  I'm just using my normal leather belt at the moment.

A normal leather belt is going to stretch and will roll on you.  A good gun belt is designed to not roll and is usually double layered to prevent stretching from happening.  The souble layering will also help it from rolling.  

Take your belt that you are wearing now and slide your holster and gun onto it..... grab just the belt in one hand and holt it that way..... what happens.

Do that same test with a good leather gun belt and see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#34]
i like brigade gunleather and hbe leather.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#37]
I just got this Kramer #3 in after a long wait. The reason it took so long is I'm left handed and my 1911 has the rail.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#38]
I like that rig, Jack.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That is awesome!!!  I want one now!

Edit- WOW I just saw the price.  I guess I'll keep wanting one for a while.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:35:24 AM EDT
[#40]
i've been carrying a g-code paddle for the last year and a half.

also found the wilson tiger shark to be extremely comfortable.

just my $.02

clown
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.mernickleholsters.com/er/erwb/erwb1r1a.jpg

That is awesome!!!  I want one now!

Edit- WOW I just saw the price.  I guess I'll keep wanting one for a while.

Dude, that's cheep. There are places where the holster alone costs MORE than that whole rig!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top