Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 8:38:47 AM EDT
Hiya all,

I'm about to buy a Sabre Defence XR-15 and the only question left is tha barrel length, I have read loads on the us threads and now i pose the qestion to you.

Tony
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:51:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I'd say 20".
But it all depends what you want it for and whether you need the compactness of the 16" models

Mark
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:39:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Hiya Mark,

Don't really need the compactness, I want to be able to punch paper and take foxes with it, maybe a Roe deer or two. I have been reading that there isnt that much more precision in 20'' barrel, but as i havent had hands on experience with the XR-15 and you all have, well.

I qualified expert with the M16A1 & A2 in the past, so I was tending to favor the 20'' till i read all those posts on the 16''.

Tony
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Tony,
I've never owned a 16" AR, but I do have a 14.5" as well as 20" rifle's.
I even have a 18" model.

I think all opinions on this are somewhat subjective.
For iron sights, I would say it has to be a 20" because of the longer sight radius.
The 20" models also have longer handguards so are somewhat more comfortable and easier to shoot. (My opinion).
If you want to hunt with it, then I'd say go for the longer barrel. More velocity and energy.
I believe there is considerable velocity differences between 16 & 20".
If you're planning to shoot longer distances then again it should be the longer barrel.
More velocity = less wind drift.

I'm sure you'd be happy with either choice.

Mark

ps, on another subject, what are silencer laws like in Germany? Are they readily available, easy to get, costs??
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Hiya Mark,

First let me thankyou, (sound advice) pretty much what i was thinking.

Silencers here in Germany are as a rule VORBIDDEN!!! They can be had by people who have special permission, but they need to be related to god or someone very high up to get that permission. Even with my hunters licence its a no no. We have only just been give the okay to put them on airguns. If ever i needed something like that it would be the improvise, adapt and overcome (plastic bottle) solution.

Tony
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:20:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Hello @ all,

Just had a call to say that they have just recieved an XR-15  with a 16 3/4 inch barrel, I really wanted the 20''.

I'll keep you posted on what I do, either pick up the 16 3/4 or, wait till they get a 20''.

There will even be a range report with piccy's if Taffy will help.

be good & take care

Tony
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top