Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/24/2005 12:54:39 AM EDT
Need help picking a new gun. My firearms collection is missing one key ingredient, a semi shotgun. I think I need one to complete me as a man
I want to spend less than ~$500
I want a Tactical type weapon, not a 28" barrel woodstock hunter
Has to be popular enough to get aftermarket evil goodies for
Help please.

Kevin
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 1:14:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Z1500:
I want a Tactical type weapon...

Those things are often mutually exsclusive. hinking.gif

I've always had a soft spot for the Benelli M3 Super 90, as you can convert it between pump and semi, and it looks bad ass, especially with the surefire grip. But, it would be hard to get one of those for less than $500. Looking on gunbroker, they seem to hover just below a grand.

You could get a standard 12 gauge autoloader that comes in Black, but I don't know if you could get any "goodies" for it. Some of these are the Remington 11-87 or the Mossberg 935.

~Scott

--------------------------------
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass." ~Tpr. M. Padgett
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 2:31:02 AM EDT
FN SLP (Self Loading Police) Shotgun
Remington 11-87 Police

If you're wanting to beat the $500 mark, you're most likely going to want to snooped around for a lightly used one. As far as I've known, parkerized/pistol-gripped semi-auto's don't sell for cheap.

Good luck on the deal hunting.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 2:50:00 AM EDT
I'm looking around and the ones that are in the cheap price range (CZ 712) are hunters.
Saiga good? How much and where can I get one.
Maybe I just need to step up to the plate and spend some $$.

Kevin
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 9:23:56 AM EDT
Wow, I could have posted the same thread! I'm in the same spot as you are, exactly, and after talking to all the gunstore guys in town and reading everything I could find for the last few days guess what...

I'm getting a Remington 870 PUMP!

It took a lot of doing to stear me away from a semiauto, I mean I was dead set on one but, after learning about the options, track record and the especialy the prices, (expect to pay around $800.00 for a good gun) I was sold.

Besides, you can get lots of aftermarket goodies for the 870 to ease that BRD need. Check this out...

Now, I have no intention of stucking a whole bunch of stuff on mine once I get it but, then again...

I'm all excited now!

Good luck!

Link Posted: 7/24/2005 10:05:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Reload-:
Wow, I could have posted the same thread! I'm in the same spot as you are, exactly, and after talking to all the gunstore guys in town and reading everything I could find for the last few days guess what...

I'm getting a Remington 870 PUMP!

It took a lot of doing to stear me away from a semiauto, I mean I was dead set on one but, after learning about the options, track record and the especialy the prices, (expect to pay around $800.00 for a good gun) I was sold.

Besides, you can get lots of aftermarket goodies for the 870 to ease that BRD need. Check this out...

home.comcast.net/~reload1/argonaut_870_medium.jpg

Now, I have no intention of stucking a whole bunch of stuff on mine once I get it but, then again...

I'm all excited now!

Good luck!

Nice setup. It would take two good men and a small boy to carry that. j/k

Very deluxe!
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 3:33:47 PM EDT
I have to get an auto, I've had pumps in the past and just want to try auto. 11-87 is looking like the front runner at this point. I can live with $650 for a new one, and it seams to fit most the old 1100 goodies.

Kevin
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:06:18 PM EDT

I've had pumps in the past and just want to try auto.

Oh, I gottcha'.

Well then hey, maybe you can educate me a bit. Did you ever have an 870? I had a Mossberg 835 pump that I used for Turkey hunting so I'm not a total newbie to pump guns but... what pump did you like the best?
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 5:41:17 PM EDT
I've had an 870 Wingmaster hunter type and a Browning BPS hunter type. And I had a Mossberg pump w/ pistol grip folding stock, looked cool but no fun to shoot. For what you want to do, the 870 is the only way to go. You can pick up a new one for $220 and start modding. When you are picking a stock remember it's a 12ga and full power loads are going to kick, I'd recommend the Speedfeed non-folder with a nice thick buttpad.
A big part of why I want a semi is to negate some of that recoil.

Kevin
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 7:01:07 PM EDT
Right on. Good advice, thanks.

Something I've learned about in my reading is that the "reduced recoil" loads can help felt recoil up to 40%. I'll believe it when I see it but it sounds damn good...

Also, from what I know the pistol grip is a bad way to go so, you've chalked up another vote for getting the regular stock, thank you for that.

Again, good luck.

Link Posted: 7/24/2005 10:16:44 PM EDT

I have to get an auto, I've had pumps in the past and just want to try auto. 11-87 is looking like the front runner at this point. I can live with $650 for a new one, and it seams to fit most the old 1100 goodies.

Kevin

Kev, have you looked at a Benelli M1 S90? Used is about $650 or so in 18.5" or 21". The 1187 is a great piece, but the Benelli cycles much faster and points quicker due to the lower weight. The lower weight means more recoil that the 1187 though. They make a ton of goodies for it. I've got one and my two boys have one as well. We're sold. Just my .02. Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:26:36 PM EDT

Need help picking a new gun. My firearms collection is missing one key ingredient, a semi shotgun. I think I need one to complete me as a man
I want a Tactical type weapon, not a 28" barrel woodstock hunter
Has to be popular enough to get aftermarket evil goodies for
Help please.

Kevin

My wife recently got a smoking deal on a used Remington 11-87 Special Purpose (matte finish, 26" bbl) from Bear Arms. I swear it hardly seemed used at all. She paid something like $350 out the door. She's run 2 cases of shells through it at various 3-gun matches, and it hasn't skipped a beat. My vote would be for a Remington 1100 or 11-87. Lots of deals on 1100s. I can find them easily for $350 or less, and with what you have for a budget you could accessorize it and still be under $500.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:16:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MP5_guy:
I can find them easily for $350 or less...

What!?

Where? I'll take one!

Help us out here, where are you finding these deals?
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:01:24 PM EDT
Saw lots of 1100s at the show last weekend.

I got a use one w/ 20" barrel, extended mag, choate pistol grip stock and side saddle for $450
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:11:59 PM EDT
+1 for the 870. Here's mine:

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:47:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Reload-:

Originally Posted By MP5_guy:
I can find them easily for $350 or less...

What!?

Where? I'll take one!

Help us out here, where are you finding these deals?

I see them at gun shows all the time (I got mine a couple of years ago for $175), and quite often at various gun shops around the valley. A buddy just got one for $250 at a pawn shop in Mesa. It's cosmetically challenged (several scratches and stock dings), but for something that's goig to be used as a tactical shotgun that just adds character. And it runs just fine. You'll want to inspect the gas system on the used ones, to make sure they aren't all buggered up and have all the right parts.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:15:17 PM EDT
Well... it matters not...

I just got off the phone and the deal has been struck!
A brand new 870 Police is on the way... WOOT!!!!!!!!!!

Mine, all mine MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:06:26 PM EDT
Well, I went Russian:)
Saiga 12ga. on the way to me. If I don't like it I think a new 11-87 would be awesome. But the AK type coolness of the Saiga kind of caught my attention.

Kevin
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:47:59 AM EDT
Greetings,

I have several (20 or so) Benelli Super Entry shotguns coming in on a police trade. They have 14" barrels and rifle sights. There is not a better auto-loader on the market. When I get them, they will be no more than $600, maybe less depends on my final cost. Let me knwo if you are interested. I am in AZ as well (okay in a week and a half I will be there full-time.)

Thanks,

TS
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:52:14 PM EDT
How soon till you get them?

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:26:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TacticalSmurf:
Greetings,

I have several (20 or so) Benelli Super Entry shotguns coming in on a police trade. They have 14" barrels and rifle sights. There is not a better auto-loader on the market. When I get them, they will be no more than $600, maybe less depends on my final cost. Let me knwo if you are interested. I am in AZ as well (okay in a week and a half I will be there full-time.)

Thanks,

TS

damn it why do all the cool shit have to come up when im broke.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:26:48 AM EDT
Anyone have any experience with Winchester's 3 gun shotguns? They have two guns in their 3 gun line and they both look fantastic. I think it's the SX2 Mk1 and Mk2....

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/detail.asp?cat_id=511&type_id=016&cat=009C

Top Top