Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 8:44:35 AM EDT
Saw this yesterday around I-95-is this a decent store?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:45:04 PM EDT
I went in there when I was looking for Gilbert's one day. It looks like a cop shop with just a few guns there to be had.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:03:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2009 1:04:19 PM EDT by 300ultramag]
not many guns, few pistols, sometimes a few AR's but thats it. they have more gear than anything else but the prices arent the best, and the gear isnt the best, mainly UTG/leapers. the little asian lady running the counter is nice as hell though and whenever im in the area i swing by to talk to her and of course you cant go into any store like that and leave empty handed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:21:02 PM EDT
Dang...I got all excited thinking Pat Rogers was doing a class in the area.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:26:37 PM EDT
With FMJ and Trophy Room gone (well FMJ isn't technically gone but it isn't what it used to be) there really isn't anything else close to this side of the county. Lot's of the "I'm not sure I need it but it's cool enough to buy it" merchandise. Was in there a month or so ago milling about and a guy was inquiring about some firearms. He was asking "do you have a such and such in stock". The Asian lady very nicely let him know that each could be ordered and what was coming in. When he asked about a Bushy ORC half the shop started chuckling.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:05:28 PM EDT
I live right around the corner from it. It took me less than a minute to walk around the store and realize they had nothing I needed to buy and would never have anything I needed to buy.The display case with pistols had nothing out of the ordinary as far as price or item. The clothing and equipment was nothing I would waste my money on. I'm not sure who their market is, but active duty military is definitely not it. It reminded me of the times I have visited Cheaper Than Dirt in Fort Worth, but without all of the extremely cheap knock off / airsoft items.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:23:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2009 8:23:52 PM EDT by kcobean]
Originally Posted By Delbaeth:
With FMJ and Trophy Room gone (well FMJ isn't technically gone but it isn't what it used to be) there really isn't anything else close to this side of the county. Lot's of the "I'm not sure I need it but it's cool enough to buy it" merchandise. Was in there a month or so ago milling about and a guy was inquiring about some firearms. He was asking "do you have a such and such in stock". The Asian lady very nicely let him know that each could be ordered and what was coming in. When he asked about a Bushy ORC half the shop started chuckling.

Why is that chuckle-worthy?

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:24:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2009 2:26:31 AM EDT by mktopside]
No, its not a good store...... and if I had to bet money on it, I would say there is a lot of stuff going on there that would be considered criminal.

I'll tell you a quick story. My buddy is from NY, so he doesn't have much personal experience buying guns, regardless of what he is issued at work (Federal agent, but for Dept of Commerce). He went in there to pick up a .357sig barrel for his P229. He was telling me about it later, and asked if it was normal in Va to have to fill out a 4473 when buying a barrel? I told him NO, and that he should go ask for it back. He called then, and they said they didn't know what he was talking about, and that what he filled out what "just for their accounting records". When he told me this, I said

"Bullshit, I'll bet you $50 the serial number from that barrel, that is now on that 4473, really belongs to an entire gun that they just found an easy way to take out of their bound book. They probably called NICS after you left to finish it up.........and sold the P229 with a new barrel, that your barrel belonged to, to 'quang' the asian gangster out back for twice as much!"

He then drove over there to ask to see the 4473, and to take it back, and this time flashed his badge. They had the same story, and told him to piss off because he wasn't ATF. So, he called his buddy at ATF, and he made a phone call. 4473 was picked up that day, with many "appoRogies"

I was kind of disappointed that nothing else came of it, as I don't like scams in general. However, my friend told me that the impression he got from his buddy with ATF was "We have bigger fish to fry with this place than your 4473, but don't worry" I hope they don't have any dogs.

I now stay FAR FAR away from there.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:35:40 AM EDT
5.11 gear and some Galco, Desantis, and Blade Tech holsters in stock. The few firearms they do have in stock are grossly overpriced, as is most everything else in the store. Expect to pay more than MSRP on even 5.11 pants!
I had to walk out after they tried charging me $45 for 5.11 trousers.

HOWEVER, if you are a lefty, their in-stock selection of holsters is without par. They have a small wall that is filled, floor to ceiling with lefty holsters.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:55:48 AM EDT
Thank you, all of you, for the heads up and future gas savings during my next NoVA foray.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:35:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rifle-cop624:
5.11 gear and some Galco, Desantis, and Blade Tech holsters in stock. The few firearms they do have in stock are grossly overpriced, as is most everything else in the store. Expect to pay more than MSRP on even 5.11 pants!
I had to walk out after they tried charging me $45 for 5.11 trousers.

HOWEVER, if you are a lefty, their in-stock selection of holsters is without par. They have a small wall that is filled, floor to ceiling with lefty holsters.

As a lefty, I may have to make a trip....

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:40:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mktopside:
No, its not a good store...... and if I had to bet money on it, I would say there is a lot of stuff going on there that would be considered criminal.

I'll tell you a quick story. My buddy is from NY, so he doesn't have much personal experience buying guns, regardless of what he is issued at work (Federal agent, but for Dept of Commerce). He went in there to pick up a .357sig barrel for his P229. He was telling me about it later, and asked if it was normal in Va to have to fill out a 4473 when buying a barrel? I told him NO, and that he should go ask for it back. He called then, and they said they didn't know what he was talking about, and that what he filled out what "just for their accounting records". When he told me this, I said

"Bullshit, I'll bet you $50 the serial number from that barrel, that is now on that 4473, really belongs to an entire gun that they just found an easy way to take out of their bound book. They probably called NICS after you left to finish it up.........and sold the P229 with a new barrel, that your barrel belonged to, to 'quang' the asian gangster out back for twice as much!"

He then drove over there to ask to see the 4473, and to take it back, and this time flashed his badge. They had the same story, and told him to piss off because he wasn't ATF. So, he called his buddy at ATF, and he made a phone call. 4473 was picked up that day, with many "appoRogies"

I was kind of disappointed that nothing else came of it, as I don't like scams in general. However, my friend told me that the impression he got from his buddy with ATF was "We have bigger fish to fry with this place than your 4473, but don't worry" I hope they don't have any dogs.

I now stay FAR FAR away from there.

Mike

Very interesting...thanks for that tidbit of insight.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:10:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By kcobean:
Originally Posted By Delbaeth:

Why is that chuckle-worthy?

Most of what he was asking about was 1-3 week waits. This was back in Jan so bushy wasn't going to happen anytime soon. Nothing against the ORC, have one on order myself (NOT from 10-8!)
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:24:10 AM EDT
I bought a RRA hoodie in there once... that was it... Nothing else worth my money...
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:44:14 AM EDT
Is this the place just down the row from Gilbert's? If it is, about the most interesting thing I saw there was an airsoft Para SAW...holy crap, the realism of those things is just awesome! They even have some kinda fake ammo belt for added realism...
Top Top