Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2022 6:28:20 PM EDT
10 House Republicans voted Yes to set the minimum age of 21 for buying semi-automatic weapons:

Fitzpatrick-PA
Gonzalez-OH
Jacobs-NY
Katko-NY
Kinzinger-IL
Malliotakis-NY
Salazar-FL
Smith-NJ
Turner-OH
Upton-MI

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Jacobs is finished, he already said so.  Katko will be ousted.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 11:35:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Unpopular opinion here and flame suit ready:  I actually agree with this law.

Spare me the "18 to fight for this country."  I'd be fine if you raised that age to 21 also.  Kids 18-21 are really fucked up and immature nowadays.

21 should be the age of adulthood for EVERYTHING.  Voting included especially, but smoking and drinking too.

Like I said, I know I'm going to get a lot of shit for saying this but it's my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:58:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jacobs is finished, he already said so.  Katko will be ousted.
View Quote

I thought Katko wasn’t running?
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 7:20:55 AM EDT
[#4]
He isn't.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Send them all democrap registration forms and the rino party needs to put on notice zero funding for these asshats

But it will not happen rinos are nothing more than democraps in Sheeps clothes
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Spare me the "18 to fight for this country."  I'd be fine if you raised that age to 21 also.  Kids 18-21 are really fucked up and immature nowadays.

21 should be the age of adulthood for EVERYTHING.  Voting included especially, but smoking and drinking too.

Like I said, I know I'm going to get a lot of shit for saying this but it's my opinion.
View Quote

I'm not going to flame you - but I would say as someone who did go and sign on that line at 18 that I fully disagree. In non-western countries (of which I've been to a few affectionately referred  to as "shit holes" by our last real president) by the time you are 18 you are trying to start a life and survive. These individuals would be able to protect themselves and their families if they weren't subjugated to draconian style laws which disarm them arbitrarily.

In the US specifically, I have cousins who were driving on a combine at 15 years old and running whole crop rotations in the midwest. two of them were married with kids by the time they were 20 and both are very well adjusted with loving families and hard working career paths. I personally also know an individual who was forced into a terrible situation with no air support at 19 years old, and had to grow up faster than I ever needed to in my time served. That individual was more mature than many guys at 35 after that incident.

I think the generalization of young men and women being immature is a gross over simplification and does not give the due respect to all the young men and women who are raised in good homes and held to account.

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don't agree with the entire law though do you?

This law also institutes a full on pistol license just to own a semi auto rifle. For everyone. No fucking way is that right. That's the major problem with it.

That aside, if we raise the legal age of adulthood to 21...then fine...gun purchases at 21 then. Driver's license at 21 then too. Cars are much more of a dangerous responsibility than guns

But really what about those 18-20 year olds who live on their own and move out of their parent's basement young?

You think an 18-20 year old with their own apartment shouldn't be allowed to own a gun to protect their home?
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I want ex-cons to be able to legally buy guns once they're done with prison and parole.  If they're not trustworthy enough to own guns, they're not trustworthy enough to be out of prison.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You don't agree with the entire law though do you?

This law also institutes a full on pistol license just to own a semi auto rifle. For everyone.
No fucking way is that right. That's the major problem with it.

That aside, if we raise the legal age of adulthood to 21...then fine...gun purchases at 21 then. Driver's license at 21 then too. Cars are much more of a dangerous responsibility than guns

But really what about those 18-20 year olds who live on their own and move out of their parent's basement young?

You think an 18-20 year old with their own apartment shouldn't be allowed to own a gun to protect their home?
View Quote

My bad.  I was only referring to "raising the age to 21 for a Semi-Auto rifle."  Yeah, the permit thing sucks balls and I'm not in favor.

As to the rest, I don't really have an opinion other than to say there is so much maturing between the ages 18-21 I don't really think 18 year old's should be considered an adult in any capacity.

Maybe I'm just a disgruntled old fuck now.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I want ex-cons to be able to legally buy guns once they're done with prison and parole.  If they're not trustworthy enough to own guns, they're not trustworthy enough to be out of prison.
View Quote

Yup and parole boards and judges should take that into consideration.

Would I want this felon to be able to own a gun and drive a car and vote?

No? Keep them in prison.

I foresee a lot of criminals staying incarcerated or being sentenced more harshly if released felons were allowed to own guns.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'd be fine if you raised that age to 21 also.  Kids 18-21 are really fucked up and immature nowadays.

View Quote

Then you’re missing the point of the specific wording “shall not be infringed.”    The Founders recognized there would be issues with gun freedom because their society had problems with gun abuse.

2A means “find another way”.   Have a problem with guns and youths, drunks, insane, criminals?  Solve them at the root of the problem, not the symptom.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Malliotakis-NY
View Quote
Not a surprise but she is in an awkward situation being that her district (NY-11) can flip blue or red depending on the tide. IIRC, she is the ONLY Republican Party member from NYC. She was able to beat Max Rose-D, who was an extreme lefty (look at his 2018-2020 voting record). Her district has been altered under redistricting and she is again facing Max Rose-D this November. Do we really want him back in? She still covers all of Staten Island, which tends to vote Republican, but still has a good chunk of Brooklyn that can flip it due to population density.

Honestly, I am not in favor of RINO's but I can understand her position and reason for voting like she did. She needs to win against Rose, in a blue city and state, and her vote is most likely meaningless due to the Senate filibuster.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not a surprise but she is in an awkward situation being that her district (NY-11) can flip blue or red depending on the tide. IIRC, she is the ONLY Republican Party member from NYC. She was able to beat Max Rose-D, who was an extreme lefty (look at his 2018-2020 voting record). Her district has been altered under redistricting and she is again facing Max Rose-D this November. Do we really want him back in? She still covers all of Staten Island, which tends to vote Republican, but still has a good chunk of Brooklyn that can flip it due to population density.

Honestly, I am not in favor of RINO's but I can understand her position and reason for voting like she did. She needs to win against Rose, in a blue city and state, and her vote is most likely meaningless due to the Senate filibuster.
View Quote
A useless rino is worse than an actual democrat.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Does it also require kids to be 21 before they have drugs or surgery to change sex?
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Does it also require kids to be 21 before they have drugs or surgery to change sex?
View Quote
It might require them to be 21 to buy and sell drugs on the street.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm not going to flame you - but I would say as someone who did go and sign on that line at 18 that I fully disagree. In non-western countries (of which I've been to a few affectionately referred  to as "shit holes" by our last real president) by the time you are 18 you are trying to start a life and survive. These individuals would be able to protect themselves and their families if they weren't subjugated to draconian style laws which disarm them arbitrarily.

In the US specifically, I have cousins who were driving on a combine at 15 years old and running whole crop rotations in the midwest. two of them were married with kids by the time they were 20 and both are very well adjusted with loving families and hard working career paths. I personally also know an individual who was forced into a terrible situation with no air support at 19 years old, and had to grow up faster than I ever needed to in my time served. That individual was more mature than many guys at 35 after that incident.

I think the generalization of young men and women being immature is a gross over simplification and does not give the due respect to all the young men and women who are raised in good homes and held to account.

View Quote

To a degree, I agree and the young MAN that you speak of anymore seems to be the exception rather than the rule.
I contend that the age of adulthood was lowered to allow youngsters into the Military back when we had a Draft, and Legalize sexual intercourse with Teenagers (do you know it's 16 in DC?) of course I am not naïve to think it doesn't go on or that's the only two reasons why it was lowered, but there's this thing I abhor that's prevalent with Democrats: DUPLICITY
Today's your 18th Birthday, congratulations! and as for those "Adult Privileges" well you can't buy a Handgun, or stripped lower receiver, or tobacco, or Alcohol, or Drive anything requiring a CDL, or get a CCW, because the Government feels you're still too young and irresponsible... Oh, we'll train you and keep a tight leash if you want to play Soldier, and we'll still fuck up the rest of your Life if we find out that you're screwing your girlfriend that's a month younger than you, but hey you're still an Adult and can vote for us!
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh hell no, and we'll pay for it too! (especially little kids now that Epstine's Island is defunct)
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#18]
What problem are you trying to solve by denying firearms ownership?  You actually think putting a gun in a 19 YO’s hand will turn them in to a homicidal maniac?  I have children in that age group and they don’t always make great decisions but I have zero fear that putting a gun in their hands will lead to a mass shooting.   The issue is mentally unstable people (not kids) having their sick murderous thoughts being reinforced by the media glorying the deeds.  Don’t deny a whole generation of the tools for protection and survival because of the media business plan.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#19]
"Republicans" lol NO actual republican is voting yes on that bullshit.

More people are killed with knives every year than are by rifles. When they start talking about common sense knife laws and being 21 to own a schrade folder maybe then I'll start caring. Until then   I'll pay as much attention to this as I did the safe act.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Well at least Katko voted no on the red flag bill
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top