Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2008 6:06:01 AM EDT
Help!?!?!   I was sitting around last night when the daughter came home with some friends, one of the boys has worked for a mutual acquaintance doing lawn-care over the summer. I asked him with things coming to a halt what is he going to do for $$ over the winter? He replied to me that he actually had two jobs and the lawn maintenance was for extra money, he proceeded to tell me that he is his mothers PCA through the county\state making $10.50 an hour and while he was working this summer he was also drawing a check for this also.  I started to ask him if he felt this was welfare fraud and he suddenly got real quiet.
I am not sure how to proceed with this, who does a person call to report it and how much proof will a person need?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:10:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Where do you think the fraud comes in?

Being a personal care assistant for someone (even a family member) does not require that you do not work a 2nd or 3rd job.

Now, if you think his mother is faking the need for a PCA, or he isn't really doing any PCA work for his mother but she is putting him down for hours, then there may be some fraud there.

To me, it sounds like this kid is doing a couple of jobs that are not pleasant.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I talked with my daughter at lengths about this after they all had left, she said she knows they submit the max. hours he can and he is never home and she is rarely around? I am all for people getting help that truly need it but I honestly think this is a classic case of they are screwing us.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunately, I think S-O-B is right.  This is a legit government program.  You can still be pissed that someone is getting paid to take care of their own relative, though.  I wish I got paid to support my wife and child.......not really, though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:37:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
...they submit the max. hours he can and he is never home and she is rarely around...

I don't doubt they could be abusing the system. But it also could be that when he gets home from work at night he has to help her with the toilet, bath her, cut her toenails, make her dinner... shit like that.

Quoted:
Unfortunately, I think S-O-B is right...

Wow, sorry that you had to agree with me!

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:59:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey, I never attack the man, only the idea or opinion.  What do you think I am, A Democrat?!?!?!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#6]
This is a legit government program.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#7]
HSPHD (Human Services Public Health Department)  Does have a fraud department, obviously they take this information quite seriously.  If you do think there is some wrong here, I'd recommend visiting the county website, and letting them know the details.

There are bad eggs out there just like every type of government program that assists people financially.  

From what you've said though, I hardly doubt this is one of them...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top