Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 12/31/2006 12:38:56 AM EDT
Taft concern for Home Rule evaporates; HB9 signed into law

By Chad D. Baus

In a surprisingly brief article (especially given how hard the media has pushed for this bill for the past two years), the Cleveland Plain Dealer is reporting that Governor Taft has signed House Bill 9. The Act will become law in 90 days.

From the story:

Substitute House Bill 9 requires that all public officials or their designees attend training programs and seminars about Ohio's public records law.

Additionally, all elected offices must adopt a public records policy and provide an explanation when a request for public records is denied.

...Another provision in the legislation allows journalists to view concealed-weapon permits granted by county sheriffs, but prohibits law enforcement officials from making photocopies of the records for reporters.
In a prepared statement, Gov. Taft said "I am pleased to sign House Bill 9, which will make state and local government officials more accountable, and I appreciate the work of the Ohio General Assembly for passing this important piece of legislation."

As Buckeye Firearms Association Legislative Chair Ken Hanson pointed out recently, media support for, and Taft's signing of, this legislation provides still more proof that opposition to the statewide preemption of local gun laws over feigned home rule concerns was in actuality nothing more than a way for anti-gunners to claok their true motives.

The following language will become law when House Bill 9 takes effect:

For the full text of this article and language excerpt from the new bill please visit

buckeyefirearms.org/article3468.html
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:13:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:23:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Doesn't mention "photo copy."  It says "copy:"

If I was sheriff I'd read that as prohibiting copying the information in pencil into a notebook or otherwise writing down the name, etc.

Same thing I was thinking.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

"The journalist shall not copy the name, county of residence, or date of birth of each person to or for whom the sheriff has issued, suspended, or revoked a license described in this division."

If I was sheriff I'd read that as prohibiting copying the information in pencil into a notebook or otherwise writing down the name, etc.

-- Chuck

Awesome......so if I see my name in the PD when I get my CCW this year, I can sue them?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"The journalist shall not copy the name, county of residence, or date of birth of each person to or for whom the sheriff has issued, suspended, or revoked a license described in this division."

-- Chuck

Awesome......so if I see my name in the PD when I get my CCW this year, I can sue them?

Sure, go ahead. Me and Chuck said its OK.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-- Chuck

Sure, go ahead. Me and Chuck said its OK.

Thank you, kind Sirs!
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:59:45 AM EDT
[#7]
make their day..
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

-- Chuck

Chuck, is not photo copying a form of copying?  

Yes, of course it is.  Copying is copying.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Chuck, is not photo copying a form of copying?  

Yes, of course it is.  Copying is copying.

Yeah, that's my thoughts too.  I mean if you are copying movies and music, they don't say it's legal since copy only means with a pencil in a notebook.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for pointing that out Collin.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top