Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2014 12:01:03 PM EDT
Just found out today.  We took off sunday for a tour of said park then headed to Little Rock for the Interveiw on Monday.  We enjoyed the car tour of Arkansas and were really impressed with this park.  I am glad he has found employment in his life long dream.  Looks like he will beat me down there.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats to your son on the new job!   I am sure he will grow to like AR!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#2]
what park?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:16:22 AM EDT
[#3]
He already likes the state of Arkansas, he has been interveiwing with the park service for about 4 months.  He is pretty excited, he has wanted to do this since he was in the cub scouts.  The park is in the SW part of Arkansas, hate to be cryptic but persec is important for safety in todays world unfortunately.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He already likes the state of Arkansas, he has been interveiwing with the park service for about 4 months.  He is pretty excited, he has wanted to do this since he was in the cub scouts.  The park is in the SW part of Arkansas, hate to be cryptic but persec is important for safety in todays world unfortunately.
View Quote

It wouldn't happen to be near a nice, floatable river, would it? I've likely been there a couple of times...
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:03:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It wouldn't happen to be near a nice, floatable river, would it? I've likely been there a couple of times...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why yes it would Will be moving him down there after he graduates college mid May. Happy that he has a full time job even before he officially graduates.  You guys should be proud of your Park service department.  They do wonderful things for outdoor recreation and they make the Fed side look like amateurs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:27:12 AM EDT
[#6]
The Fed side ARE amateurs.... with automatic fucking weapons!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Fed side ARE amateurs.... with automatic fucking weapons!
View Quote

Yep but I was referencing the condition of parks and campsites. In Kansas the State parks are better managed then the fed wildlife refuges with better access but not nearly as well as Arkansas.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#8]
We do have some pretty nice state parks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I grew up with my dad backpacking, canoeing, fishing, and hang-gliding all over our state parks and many of the federal parks. The state parks are by and large far better operated and managed.

My old man was such an Arkansas nerd that he worked with the parks and tourism department to have an "Arkansas The Natural State" hang glider made. We may be lacking in some ways, but our parks and their crews are definitely not.

Glad to see your son saw the light and realized that it just ain't kansas without Ar

edit - found a picture that the current owner of the wing put up

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:30:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Well to be fair, my grandfather was born in NW Arkansas and lived most of his life just across the border in Mcdonald Co MO.  I have spent my youth visiting the Ozarks and have always had the urge to move there.  My wife and I have been loooking for land for when I retire from the Mil in 2 1/2 years so we urged him to look in Arkansas. He had met the Head of the parks department when he was at a convention and she has been diligently trying to get him a position since then.  He has interviewed with three different parks and this one was a full time spot.  He was also ofered a seasonal gig at a different park but he wisely chose this one.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#11]
former arkansas park ranger here back when Clinton was running the state. if he is going where I think he is going, tell him to have a ton of misquote repellent on hand!

and he'll be bored out of his mind. i had a buddy down at Lake Chico and he was bored out of his skull.

best of luck to him and I hope he enjoys it!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

and he'll be bored out of his mind. i had a buddy down at Lake Chico and he was bored out of his skull.

View Quote

I just hit 5 state parks and a museum in South Arkansas last week for one of my jobs.  Only people in some of those parks were me and the 2 or 3 people working there.  Millwood Lake and Moro Bay actually had a few people there.  May be going back to Moro Bay to visit when not working.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:47:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
former arkansas park ranger here back when Clinton was running the state. if he is going where I think he is going, tell him to have a ton of misquote repellent on hand!

best of luck to him and I hope he enjoys it!
View Quote

Ok Cassotot State park is where he will be working. I guess the park is fairly busy for the area.  It is pretty remote though.  The kid has spent most of his life outdoors and is more than familiar with mosquitoes. We have a nice crop of them in eastern KS as well.  He has always wanted to be a park ranger since he was little. He starting in scouting as a cub scout and is an Eagle scout and is still active helping the younger ones.  He has been working summers for different parks in KS all through college.  I am sure there are times he will be bored but this is who he is and what he loves. I envy him a little to be able to earn a living doing something he loves.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:06:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Skull Crusher won't have TOO many mosquitos.  It ain't very often that there's a lot of standing water.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Skull Crusher won't have TOO many mosquitos.  It ain't very often that there's a lot of standing water.
View Quote
Yeah, tell him to bring his Kayak and helmet though

I've only ever done it in a white water raft, but I've always wanted to yak or open top canoe it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top