Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2022 1:14:33 PM EDT
I'm looking for recommendations for good towns to live in with in a 45 minute - 1 hour radius around Palmetto.

Good schools are important but I know the schools in general aren't that great.  All real estate is insane in FL but areas where homes are under 350k are the target.

Red town/county is also key.  Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Depending on how soon you need schools, checkout Wimauma.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depending on how soon you need schools, checkout Wimauma.
View Quote

Pretty soon.  My company called me about a transfer that just opened up earlier in the week.  I've had my name in the ring for almost a year.  

It's great but now my future boss is pressuring the heck out of me to get down there.  He calls me every 2 days to see where I'm at.  Honestly, it's a little aggravating but beggars can't be choosers I guess.  

He wants me down there 2nd week of September but the family will probably come down after.

Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#4]
After I gave you all that information you wanted on Citrus County.....
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
After I gave you all that information you wanted on Citrus County.....
View Quote

If you are referring to my older thread you would be correct.  However, that transfer opportunity didn't come through.  My company loves to get my hopes up.  It was indeed for Northern FL and we do prefer it in the Northern part of the state.

That one died a slow death.  My company decided to go on the cheap and fill the opening with a lower paying position.

Fast forward to this Monday I get the phone call and here I am starting at square one again.

Now that it serves their needs to get me down there ASAP they are pressuring me like crazy.  Yes, we're ready to rock and roll but we still have some affairs to get in order.

Link Posted: 7/23/2022 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Regarding schools, some people in the local (Wimauma) group recommend charter schools.
Some names that come up: LLT Southbay, Southshore Charter in Riverview. Apparently, there are even more - Creekside, Waterset.
However, they all have a wait list - apply now - and you have to provide transportation.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Regarding schools, some people in the local (Wimauma) group recommend charter schools.
Some names that come up: LLT Southbay, Southshore Charter in Riverview. Apparently, there are even more - Creekside, Waterset.
However, they all have a wait list - apply now - and you have to provide transportation.
View Quote

Good stuff - thank you!
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A bit of trivia on the town of Wimauma. While the name Wimauma sounds like it could be an Indian word, it actually came from the first letters of the towns founder, Captain C.H. Davis' three daughters named Willie, Maude and Mary.

It's pronounced why-mama.
View Quote

That's interesting.  Good to know, I like to try and blend in.  I don't want to be the glaring transplant.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#11]
What's the word on New Port Richey?
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 11:22:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Where is your office

Traffic can be a bitch

I am in Parrish
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Where is your office

Traffic can be a bitch

I am in Parrish
View Quote

Sent you a PM.  Call me paranoid.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What's the word on New Port Richey?
View Quote

Trashy
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Trashy
View Quote

Good to know.  Do you have any non trashy recommendations?  We are open to ideas as we've been doing a lot of researching.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Its a pretty long commute New Port Richey to Palmetto, about 60 mi, through some of the most congested highways in the area.

I'd look south of the Skyway bridge in the Lakewood Ranch area.

Link Posted: 7/26/2022 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Its a pretty long commute New Port Richey to Palmetto, about 60 mi, through some of the most congested highways in the area.

I'd look south of the Skyway bridge in the Lakewood Ranch area.

View Quote

Thanks I'll check it out.  I'll only have to go down to Palmetto twice a week at the most.  I'll be on the road and working from home the balance of the time.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks I'll check it out.  I'll only have to go down to Palmetto twice a week at the most.  I'll be on the road and working from home the balance of the time.
View Quote

If thats the case and you would like to stay north of the Skyway look at Trinity, Palm Harbor, Keystone and East Lake.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A bit of trivia on the town of Wimauma. While the name Wimauma sounds like it could be an Indian word, it actually came from the first letters of the towns founder, Captain C.H. Davis' three daughters named Willie, Maude and Mary.

It's pronounced why-mama.
View Quote

Cool did not know that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
FYI... there's a strong migrant presence in Wimauma due to the agriculture in the area.

There's also a lot of good taco joints.  
View Quote

Lol that's an understatement

I use to run calls in Wimauma, If you gave me a place I'd not live there. Now there are properties in the surrounding area that uses a Wimauma address. But still no for me.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top