Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2011 6:29:55 PM EDT
I tried searching here but I didn't get any suitable result. He e-mailed me a PDF copy of the sporting goods store/dealer's license. I verified through atfonline.gov/fflezcheck that the license is valid and it matches the address. His instruction is to send the shotgun with a photocopy of my driver's license with his info as the recipient to the FFL dealer. Can I ship it via regular UPS or USPS just like any other package?

P.S. I bought the shotgun from Caso's in Jersey City and it's not that far of a drive but since I'm selling it for $150 shipped I want to save money if I can just send it directly to his FFL. Everything good? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 10:46:34 PM EDT
[#1]
You may ship a long gun to a licensed dealer using either the USPS, or a common carrier (UPS/FexEx).  So long as his receiving dealer is OK with receiving a firearm from a non-licensee (and it sounds like he is - as that's where the copy of the license and the instructions to include your DL most likely came from), you're all set.

Reference USPS Domestic Mail Manual 601, section 12.3:

Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 12.1.1e and 12.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 12.1.1e.

Be prepared to reference this should the counterperson at the post office give you any grief.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 4:55:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I was in the post office on Thursday.

I saw a sign that said "No handguns".
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was in the post office on Thursday.

I saw a sign that said "No handguns".

...burp.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:37:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like you've done everything correctly.
Keep a copy of his FFL with the guns serial number.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top