Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2003 4:14:59 PM EDT

Being new to MN, I am going to take my baby out for a little range time soon.  What should I do differently in cold weather (below 32 degrees) with the AR that I might not do in warmer weather?  Any precautions?  

Yeah.  Dress warmly.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Dont use Break Free or any other CLP, this stuff seems to "Gel UP" on you

I use Militech and Clenzoil for lube

Bring more ammo the barrel dont heat up as fast

Oh yeah 1 more thing

Have a great time
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:40:23 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want a better cold weather CLP than Breakfree, use FP-10.  In extreme cold weather, don't use any at all, or use a dry lubricant.  Becarefull not to breath on or touch your ammo and firing pin if you can help it, the moisture you leave can freeze things up.  Of course, I am talking EXTREME cold (-40 to -70).  I have also used a hint of Hoppes #9 as a lubricant in such extremes.  Normally I use Rem Oil or FP-10 sparingly.  You may loose a little velocity in your ammo as well.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]
i don't use any lube.  if i have it didn't cause any problems.  i usually forget to bring it with even in the summer.

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#4]
In normal weather, I use a little Gunslick oil, or Hoppes 9 with rust protection...

In cold weather, I use LSA:

www.sarcoinc.com/new60.html

US Military gun oil that is supposedly designed to withstand extreme temperatures.  I've used it last winter with no malfunctions in my AR (even firing cheap-ass barnaul russian ammo).  Seems to work fine for me in ~10 degree weather from last january's shoot.  Haven't tried shooting subzero with my AR15 yet.

Camping in the cold weather is one thing...  I can build a fire, setup camp, and enjoy a peaceful clear winter night out in rural MN.  A truly humbling and peaceful thing.

Anyway, I don't go out shooting a lot in the winter anymore (haven't had much time on my hands these days).  I did a few years back, but that was just with bolt action 22's...  Nothing that really "Jams".  But my extremely limited experience with LSA seems to work fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top