Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2010 7:40:19 PM EDT
A friend asked me to check on what he may need to know/expect applying for a permit in Saratoga County. I have mine through Otsego County, which I think is a lot easier. Just wanted to pass info along to him.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 3:51:48 AM EDT
[#1]
The Judge there has been known to deny Troopers pistol permits based upon need. It may have changed but that was the case not all that long ago.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 4:25:50 AM EDT
[#2]
According to the guys at Zaks, it's taking over a year now.  The main holdup is that there is only one guy "authorized" to teach the Handgun Safety class, and there's a big backlog of people trying to  get into the class.  Then you'll still be waiting for fingerprints, etc.  Even more than 20 years ago it still took me more than 7 months to get a "restricted license."

The only license you're likely to get is restricted to hunting/target shooting.  Nevermind the debates over arbitrary restrictions, that's all they give.  If you need to be armed for a job (such as armored car) you have to get the license and then  apply again for an amendment for hunting/target/employment.

In my case, I sent the judge a letter about a year ago, along with copies of all my training certificates (including a Firearms and the Law type class) and asked to have my permit upgraded to unrestricted.  I even offered to go out to Rochester and take their "upgrade class" that the judges out there use, but still got denied because I couldn't show a "special need" for an unrestricted license.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 6:33:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm currently in the process of applying for my pistol permit for Saratoga County. I am tentative for a pistol class next month but if it doesn't happen I have to wait until June!!!

Link Posted: 10/17/2010 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#4]
theres a new judge, it isnt Nolan anymore...its Seibert.

Unsure how he is compared to Nolan, but...I know Nolan denied my attempt to get unrestricted, though i sent the letter in 1 year after getting the permit.  Its been 5 years since I got the permit now, and with the new judge, I am ready to try again.

Link Posted: 10/17/2010 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I didn't realize it was so bad there. I grew up in Saratoga County, but got my permit in Otsego when I moved here. Took 14 weeks and they only issue unrestricted. I guess that explains why some of my close friends and some family members are surprised when/if they learn I carry daily. "That's legal?" is the usual response. It is essentially a foreign concept to them. That's a damn shame.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I also wrote judge Nolan after holding a restricted from Saratoga for one year and was also denied.  I sent him my pistol qualification records from the Marine Corps and everything but it was a no go.  It wasn't till I moved to Rensselaer County that things got better.  I got the restrictions removed within 2 months of moving to the new county.  It was great.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:45:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
theres a new judge, it isnt Nolan anymore...its Seibert.

Unsure how he is compared to Nolan, but...I know Nolan denied my attempt to get unrestricted, though i sent the letter in 1 year after getting the permit.  Its been 5 years since I got the permit now, and with the new judge, I am ready to try again.

Save your stamp.  He's the one who denied me an unrestricted license after having the permit for over 20 years and forwarding copies of all of my training certificates.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#8]
SAF SUES IN NEW YORK TO VOID 'GOOD CAUSE

Now is the time for every member of the NY HTF to support Alan Gura by joining/donating to SAF and putting their money where their mouth is.
The SAF/Gura complaint is here:

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 9:23:30 PM EDT
[#9]
It only took about 3 weeks to get my restricted permit after I moved back to the area from GA in 2006.  I just submitted all my Air Force pistol training so I could get the class waived.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top