Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2012 8:09:07 PM EDT
Picked up one of the New Frontier lowers, I have a few other lowers, one being another composite, a Plum Crazy. The New Frontier lower runs $95-99.I was reading up about New Frontier and the comparisons between them and Plum Crazy. I think some wondered if they were the same. People said nope, the New Frontiers are similar but made in a different mold or something. Well....got home and started comparing them, they have to be identical and off the same machine due to the resin marks and glue or whatever they use to join them.

I'm not a polymer expert. But my untrained eye says they are the same.

The Plum Crazy has 500 rounds or so through it, no problems. Variety of ammo and size, 5.56, 6.8, .22. Looks just as new as the New Frontier with zero rounds.

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 3:15:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Look the same to me also. What upper are you using?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 7:28:44 AM EDT
[#2]
See this thread:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_44/355520_Who_s_selling_Plumcrazy_Lowers_in_there_store_or_online_.html

According to New Frontier the materials in their lower are different than that used in Pluncrazy. He was asked if they came from the same mold:
Yes. Similiar mold, but different poly/fiber blend and all different (ALL US MADE) parts. Along with better marketing, assembly, and dealer support. AND.....price. They'll retail for $99 Complete. PC is raising their dealer COST to that in the next week. Our dealer pricing is much better with much higher profit margins for our dealers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
See this thread:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_44/355520_Who_s_selling_Plumcrazy_Lowers_in_there_store_or_online_.html

According to New Frontier the materials in their lower are different than that used in Pluncrazy. He was asked if they came from the same mold:
Yes. Similiar mold, but different poly/fiber blend and all different (ALL US MADE) parts. Along with better marketing, assembly, and dealer support. AND.....price. They'll retail for $99 Complete. PC is raising their dealer COST to that in the next week. Our dealer pricing is much better with much higher profit margins for our dealers.

I wish they would just come out and say it's the same damn lower! Geez. Reading that thread gives me a headache with people asking direct questions and sort of getting smoky answers.

As for what has been fired out of it, all sorts of stuff. That Plum Crazy lower got passed around like a $10 whore around Christmas at a shoot in the Hill Country. I think the only upper it has not seen is a 50 Beowulf and a 458. Or pistol calibers like 9mm. It had some problems with 7.62x39 but I think that was the crappy magazine and the crappy ammo.

I have not fired the New Frontier lower yet. Hope to change that soon. Interesting little lower though. 20% less in cost than a Plum Crazy. Makes you wonder if there will be a price war coming up.

Got mine here:

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=NFA-LW15BLK

$95 shipped. $5 is knocked off if you use promo code "thankyou" for a uniform/badge discount or "slickguns" for everyone else. Only $10 FFL transfer via Atwell Tactical makes it double dirt cheap.

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I read that whole post and it did give me a head ache.  I mean for 100.00 if it breaks then your only out 100.00.  I have crashed an RC Helicopter and spent that amount on rotor blades alone.  They look pretty good and 100.00 for a complete lower is a steal.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks pretty good, I dunno if I can get over the composite hammer though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#6]
How is the trigger pull on these?
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How is the trigger pull on these?

4.5-5 pounds is what they claim using the "accu-group fire control system"
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I plan on getting two of these and swapping out a metal FCG on them for some fun .22lr guns.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#9]
They are pretty decent.  Like the guy above, I wish the hammer was metal (how much could that possibly increase costs?) but I have a few Plum Crazy lowers and they are fine.  I even read about a guy who made a post sample out of one and it worked fine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Basically, its the same mold with an upgraded polymer blend and a bit cheaper price to boot.  Both lowers have the same FCG, BUT the New Frontier Armory lower has a better spring kit resulting in a more consistent, lower weight trigger pull.

Not quote Tomatoe Tomato, but possibly more like Hybrid Tomatoe .
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Would it be possible to change out the hammer with a metal one?  I know next to nothing about AR15's, but looking to put one together soon, first build.  What uppers are you guys using on your Plum Crazy lowers?  Would a spikes fit?
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#12]
How does the trigger feel?  I would imagine it's spongy considering it's plastic.  

I've been thing about putting together an ultra-lightweight carbine for my wife and daughters.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#13]
One other thing- has anyone ran a 22 conversion in them?
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How does the trigger feel?  I would imagine it's spongy considering it's plastic.  

It does not flex, if that's what you are wondering.

For $11 you can get a blowback hammer for dedicated 22 and 9mm uppers that's a little narrower

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/PlumCrazy_Blow_Back_Hammer_PC_BlowBack_p/pc-blowback.htm
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#15]
For the Price you can't go Wrong!

Link Posted: 2/24/2012 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes the fire control group can be replaced with metal parts for an aluminum reciever from what I have read...  I am getting two soon and will be putting in some FCG kits that I have sittting on my work bench unless I like the plastic stuff.  But we will soon see has I will be using these for .22 guns I have read the polymer hammer doesn't work on the .22lr bolt as it is too fat you have to grind it down.  I would rather replace it with a metal one that works instead.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How does the trigger feel?  I would imagine it's spongy considering it's plastic.  .

The trigger is decent, and better than some factory triggers. Its not bad at all, really. It's not a Timney, but that's also twice as much as the lower costs

Quoted:
Yes the fire control group can be replaced with metal parts for an aluminum reciever from what I have read...  I am getting two soon and will be putting in some FCG kits that I have sittting on my work bench unless I like the plastic stuff.  But we will soon see has I will be using these for .22 guns I have read the polymer hammer doesn't work on the .22lr bolt as it is too fat you have to grind it down.  I would rather replace it with a metal one that works instead.

The Fire Control Group is a proprietary design. The parts do NOT interchange with factory mil-spec type fire control groups. You can't swap the polymer hammer for a metal hammer. The lower is "mil spec" in terms of trigger/hammer pin holes, etc. You can drop in any mil spec FCG, but you'll have to drop the entire group in (Hammer, Trigger, disconnector, etc). So, a standard mil spec fire control group will drop in, or Spike's Battle Trigger, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, I wouldn't trust those if you had to smack the stock against something like I would on my Cav Arms.
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah, I wouldn't trust those if you had to smack the stock against something like I would on my Cav Arms.

i'd worry more about a polymer upper:

from this thread:
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=8&t=458321
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 7:59:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Well you guys suck.
At that price with the free shipping, I was forced to order one and am now introuble with the wife.

on top of that joebobs takes like up to 2 weeks to ship. free shipping so I don't care, but it sucks to be introuble for something I can't even play with yet.
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Mine are at my FFL now I am picking them up next week when I get a chance to get off these 16 hour shifts!
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

PSA puts their stripped lowers on sale for 45 bucks just about every other month. Throw in a $50 parts kit, and you're in the same price ballpark - with no worries about plastic pieces.
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

PSA puts their stripped lowers on sale for 45 bucks just about every other month. Throw in a $50 parts kit, and you're in the same price ballpark - with no worries about plastic pieces.

Stock, buffer, buffer spring?
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Sorry for bringing a old thread back but was talking to a guy at my local gun shop here in Az. They sell alot of PC lowers, it turns out that New Frontier is the same thing as the PC lower same polymer and everything. NF made a deal with the manufacture of the the lower that PC uses and was having the lower made on the side with thier logo on it. Legal action is forth coming from what I was told.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 5:22:04 AM EDT
[#25]
^ Interesting.

Like I said, I'm not a plastic expert but the mold markings and resin are identical in every way.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#26]
i need to order one for my future lw build.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
^ Interesting.

Like I said, I'm not a plastic expert but the mold markings and resin are identical in every way.

I make plastic resins at my job, we make various blends.  You cannot tell by looking at them if they are identical or not.  Molds are expensive so why not use the same mold.  Although I would think a new mold that reinforce the weak points would be ideal.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#28]
At the risk of a hijack, has anyone compared either of these to the Bushmaster Carbon 15 lower?

They sure do look alike.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sorry for bringing a old thread back but was talking to a guy at my local gun shop here in Az. They sell alot of PC lowers, it turns out that New Frontier is the same thing as the PC lower same polymer and everything. NF made a deal with the manufacture of the the lower that PC uses and was having the lower made on the side with thier logo on it. Legal action is forth coming from what I was told.

Just an FYI, the New Frontier Armory lower is made with the same MOLD as the Plum Crazy's, but Plum Crazy does not own the mold or patent, and never has. They aren't the only lower ever made with that mold, either.

There is NO pending legal action against New Frontier Armory with Plum Crazy. Whoever told you this must be getting their information from the coffee shop .

New Frontier Armory lowers have an upgraded polymer, better sourcing of spring kits, and now have an upgraded spring kit and takedown pins (The PCF lowers had an issue with takedown pins pulling out too easily compared to metal counterparts). The upgraded FCG/takedown pins stated at Serial # 2000+, and pretty soon a free upgrade kit to a "Gen II" FCG & takedown pins will be available for those who purchased early on.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The upgraded FCG/takedown pins stated at Serial # 2000+, and pretty soon a free upgrade kit to a "Gen II" FCG & takedown pins will be available for those who purchased early on.

How do we get one of those kits? I got one in the 10xx range
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The upgraded FCG/takedown pins stated at Serial # 2000+, and pretty soon a free upgrade kit to a "Gen II" FCG & takedown pins will be available for those who purchased early on.

How do we get one of those kits? I got one in the 10xx range

Within the next few weeks we'll get all the ducks in a row. If lowers were purchased from us we'll have the upgraded kits available through us. Customers will be responsible for the shipping but the kit will be free of charge. They of course can be tossed in an order for no additional freight charges.

If the lower was bought directly from New Frontier they will be available through them. If they were bought through another dealer they should be available through New Frontier. Once we get things worked out we'll send out a newsletter and post some details on our website and New Frontier will do the same. Not sure if any other dealers or the other distributor (We're a distributor, and so is Rifle Gear) will be offering the kits for the lowers they've sold directly to their customers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top