PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2005 10:56:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/29/2005 3:11:16 PM EST by ZitiForBreakfast]
Guys,

Lets pick a Saturday at least 2 Saturday's out from now but not more than 3. And lets get her cleaned up, early in the morning is good.

I will bring a BBQ, trash bags, and I will call the DNR and see if they are willing to get a dumpster hooked up for us.

Everyone bring a shovel with them, a rake and someone bring something to burn the wood with.

Start chiming in on the weekends. Dont tell me/ us when you can't make it, tell us when you CAN make it. Also tell us what you are willing to bring.

Dont forget food, pop and ice.

Bring ammo, bring your guns. Slowest working person is designated target holder. And no mag's full of tracers (I dont want to put out a fire again )

Chris

Link Posted: 3/28/2005 12:57:36 PM EST
I can make it any of the next three saturdays. So whichever is the best for majority works for me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2005 1:16:50 PM EST
Not this weekend but either one of the next two are good.
Link Posted: 3/28/2005 1:57:47 PM EST
Knob Creek is April 8. 9. 10 so thats not good.
Link Posted: 3/28/2005 2:36:29 PM EST
How about April 16th. That way everyone can bring their latest toys from Knob Creek. I have a couple packs of brats that I got up at the Birch Run gun show that I can bring.

John
Link Posted: 3/28/2005 3:55:35 PM EST
Three Sats out would be ok with me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2005 6:15:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/28/2005 6:20:22 PM EST by Lumpy223]
I am available on Saturday April 2, Saturday April 16, or Saturday April 30.

Sure hope y'all decide on one of those dates (I really hate missing shoots due to work).

I just got this thing put together and haven't shot it yet so that would be a good day to test it out.

Edited to add that I could bring along some venison burger for the grill.
Link Posted: 3/29/2005 4:31:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By Lumpy223:
I am available on Saturday April 2, Saturday April 16, or Saturday April 30.

Sure hope y'all decide on one of those dates (I really hate missing shoots due to work).

I just got this thing put together and haven't shot it yet so that would be a good day to test it out.

groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QwCRAlwUu7Vmifz6IlaqcROkgCBf2IM!r2tvGptfxP19­5EDG5b185La2vHuMbomq*TtVLqbkYlndTgKhtgR3GOFZF­SwMNRQges75Lj4Wuk0/Saiga.jpg?dc=4675515631164018932

Edited to add that I could bring along some venison burger for the grill.

Lumpy, you dog you. You not only got a Saiga 308 but converted it already. Way to go.
Link Posted: 3/29/2005 6:37:18 AM EST
I will help out any of those weekends.
Link Posted: 3/29/2005 9:22:38 AM EST
I am in to help.
Link Posted: 3/29/2005 10:01:30 AM EST
I spoke with the DNR about a dumpster. They said, "Not us".

I spoke to the Dept. Of Enviromental Quality. They said, "Not us".

I spoke with Parks. They said, "Not us"

I spoke with the Real Estate department. They said, "Not us".

I spoke with the Wildlife department. They said, "Not us, but try the department of forestry".

I spoke with the Forestry department. They said, "This is Lansing, call Jack at the Lapeer office"

I spoke with Jack at the Forestry department, he said, "Wow, thats great! But, I have another group who I am getting a dumpster dropped off there for the same thing (clean up) on the 23rd."

I said, "Really? Who/ what/ where?"

He said, "I dont know the 'group' name, but they are gun loving people as well.."

I said, "You got a phone number for the person and name you been dealing with?"

He said, "Sure do.."

Then he gave me the number, I called the man. His name is Jim Doray (not sure if spelled right), I did not get an answer but I left him a message and told him we would be happy to join forces, help and enjoy the day.

I am awaiting a call back from him. Once I hear from him, I will let you all know.

Cheers!!

Thanks for the interest!

Chris

Link Posted: 3/29/2005 10:47:21 AM EST
Ok, I just got done talking with Jim Dorais. He and his fellow Class III guys are going to be there with us on SATURDAY THE 16th.

We will have a dumpster there. Jack at the local DNR/ Forestry office is getting us a burn permit.

We want to start at 9am, have the line go hot at 11am.

Jim and I discussed, we all should bring:

Gloves, a shovel, heavy mil trash bags and of course our bullets.

I am bringing the BBQ and needed items and some food.

Someone pick up some pop, plates, napkins, etc..Please post here what you are taking so others who are willing to bring something can adjust.

Thanks guys!!

Chris

Link Posted: 3/29/2005 1:44:25 PM EST
Greetings to all........I've been lurking for a while, and I've never been to the pit, but meaning to. I'd be glad to pitch in if my schedule allows..........
Link Posted: 3/29/2005 2:13:05 PM EST
I will be happy to help out. The pit is one of the last places around to shoot around this area. I've shot with the class III guys and they are a good group. Just let me know what you need and I'll bring it!!

Kris
Link Posted: 3/29/2005 2:17:44 PM EST
i will be busy doing a gun class,
Link Posted: 3/29/2005 3:12:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By shop_rat45:
I will be happy to help out. The pit is one of the last places around to shoot around this area. I've shot with the class III guys and they are a good group. Just let me know what you need and I'll bring it!!

Kris

Right now we need everything but a dumpster, and a BBQ. Please post what you want to bring.

Thanks Kris.

BTW, you spell your name wrong.
Link Posted: 3/29/2005 3:35:45 PM EST
I can bring a shovel and rake for me and whomever comes with me. Also, I have some real nice trash bags. I can bring a wheelbarrow if that will help.
Link Posted: 3/29/2005 3:37:22 PM EST
+1 for the wheel barrow. Saves trips for the old propane tanks.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/29/2005 3:52:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/29/2005 3:55:09 PM EST by gordie48001]
Being a main part of the Class III guys clean up for the last 3 years I can say the things most often in short supply are wheel barrows, HEAVY garbage bags, Contractor grade form Home Depot work best, shovels, rakes and people. Also needed are people willing to use ther pick up trucks to haul the big metal stuff. Traditionally my truck has been about the only one used to haul the huge likes of scrap metal. Althogh the DNR is getting a dumpster this time it won't be at the range, it is normally parked down the road a ways and a truck is the best way to haul the stuff....unless someone has an ATV with a trailer, that would be the best case scenario. The ATV could drive down range and pick the crap up instead of us carrying it to the parking area. Four wheeler with a trailer would be ideal.

It is great to see someone else stepping up to the plate to help out. I especially like the fact that I don't have to bring MY BBQ finally! Gordon Food Service has the good burgers by the way. I'm the guy that had always brought the food.

Word of caution....don't leave your wheel barrow unattended....Jim Dorais likes to use them for target practice!
Link Posted: 3/29/2005 4:25:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/29/2005 4:27:34 PM EST by shop_rat45]

Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:

Kris

Right now we need everything but a dumpster, and a BBQ. Please post what you want to bring.

Thanks Kris.

BTW, you spell your name wrong.

I'll bring some trash bags. I'll make sure to get some good contractor grade ones from Home Depot. Sound good? As for the name, you'll have to talk to my mom on that one.

EDIT: Hopefully my AMD 65 pistol build will be done and legal. If not, I guess I have to stick to some of my other trusty guns. So, with the range being this packed, what's proper line etiquite for ejected shells? Cover your eyes and dodge?
Link Posted: 3/29/2005 4:56:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By gordie48001:
Being a main part of the Class III guys clean up for the last 3 years I can say the things most often in short supply are wheel barrows, HEAVY garbage bags, Contractor grade form Home Depot work best, shovels, rakes and people. Also needed are people willing to use ther pick up trucks to haul the big metal stuff. Traditionally my truck has been about the only one used to haul the huge likes of scrap metal. Althogh the DNR is getting a dumpster this time it won't be at the range, it is normally parked down the road a ways and a truck is the best way to haul the stuff....unless someone has an ATV with a trailer, that would be the best case scenario. The ATV could drive down range and pick the crap up instead of us carrying it to the parking area. Four wheeler with a trailer would be ideal.

It is great to see someone else stepping up to the plate to help out. I especially like the fact that I don't have to bring MY BBQ finally! Gordon Food Service has the good burgers by the way. I'm the guy that had always brought the food.

Word of caution....don't leave your wheel barrow unattended....Jim Dorais likes to use them for target practice!

It will be nice to have us all together. I think Jack at the DNR office was making it seem like the dumpster was going to be on site. I'll call and ask in a day or so.

I will bring one of my work van's.
Link Posted: 3/29/2005 6:44:19 PM EST
i have yet to be to the pit and the one day i can't make it CCw class is that day all day sat the 16 th one day deal !! oh well guess there is next year huh!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2005 7:39:05 PM EST
I'll try to make it out there even though I've never been there, hopefully it will be a nice wekend day out there.
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 8:45:29 AM EST
I'm an Ohio guy, but I would like to come up and pitch in. Please tell me the address of the pit and I would be happy to drag my happy ass up there. maxx
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 9:28:15 AM EST

Originally Posted By maxx68:
I'm an Ohio guy, but I would like to come up and pitch in. Please tell me the address of the pit and I would be happy to drag my happy ass up there. maxx

This thread has good directions. www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=39&t=180138

If you need better directions, one of us will be happy to help. It would be great to see you there!!

Kris
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 12:02:46 PM EST
maxx68.......

Out of state help, Wow! Thank you!

Just take either US 23 or I 75 north.

Within a couple hours of the state line you should be approaching Flint.

23 and 75 merge just west of Flint.

Once they merge, keep your eyes open for the I69 interchange. You want to take I69 East towards Port Huron.

Roughly 30 to 40 minutes later you will be approaching the exit for downtown Lapeer (M24).

Following the directions on the map from there will get you to the shooting hole.

Link to map.......photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=4111

A couple notes about the map.....

Several exits off of I69 have been omitted.
The map is not drawn to scale.
The name of the car dealership north of Downtown Lapeer has changed.
I think the drag strip is about 3 or 4 miles down Roods Lake Road, it is in the middle of nowhere.
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 12:18:53 PM EST
Just some thoughts.......

You folks better plan on bringing something to shoot at. Once the place is cleaned up, well, there isnt any junk to shoot at.

For any newbies, there are no target stands here. Good targets include old propane tanks, filing cabinets, lawn mowers, pianos, etc.. Personally, I frown on glass but that is your call.

Depending on the weather, you might want to bring your boots as it can get muddy. Heavy work gloves are advised.

Watch where you step! The place is full of sharp stuff that can make a mess of your foot if you aren't carefull.

All vehicles should be parked on the east side of the road (same side of the road as the pit). If cars are lined up on both sides, the Sherriffs Dept will make you move.

QCMGR......I will have my Leatherman with me.

Ziti......Thanks for running with this. Count me in for a shovel & rake.
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 6:24:09 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 4:42:35 PM EST
Right now I have that day free so I'll probably be there.

BTW, can someone bring a set of headspace gauges to the cleanup day? I just installed a well-worn barrel I picked up off the EE and want to check it out
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 5:54:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By danno-in-michigan:

BTW, can someone bring a set of headspace gauges to the cleanup day? I just installed a well-worn barrel I picked up off the EE and want to check it out

For what caliber?
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 6:09:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By danno-in-michigan:

For what caliber?

Sorry, 5.56.
Link Posted: 4/1/2005 3:29:16 AM EST
Cool.

We may need to hacka tree or two down to make the line bigger.

Link Posted: 4/3/2005 3:09:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/4/2005 3:51:10 PM EST by Mouseomatic]
see ya there with lots of tools, and a wheelbarrel, and ammo.
Link Posted: 4/3/2005 6:00:49 AM EST
man i wish i could come, but im in the process of packing up my crap so i can pcs from germany to kansas.

i'll tell my bro in law to get his ass out there and give yall a hand for me.
Link Posted: 4/3/2005 7:55:22 PM EST
Boy, I wish you guys would plan one of these on a Sunday.
Link Posted: 4/4/2005 3:33:41 AM EST
Never on a Sunday......Church.
Link Posted: 4/4/2005 6:24:59 AM EST

Never on a Sunday......Church.

+1, thats why I do not compete. They are all held on Sunday's and Church is where I would rather be.

Link Posted: 4/4/2005 11:26:42 AM EST
Damn, looks like I'll be out for the 16th I totally wanted to go too
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 4:13:18 PM EST

Originally Posted By Firelotus:
Damn, looks like I'll be out for the 16th I totally wanted to go too

+1 Atleast I was able to make it last year. I hope that this year I will be able to make it to bullet fest again.
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 3:07:47 AM EST
So does class III guys being there mean full auto fun too?
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 3:55:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By CookieCrisp:

Yep. The Class III guys normally bring a large assortment for full auto weapons. The most impressive I've seen is thier full auto M2. Those 50 cal rounds really make a thump!

Kris
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 4:40:45 AM EST

Originally Posted By CookieCrisp:

Yep. The Class III guys normally bring a large assortment for full auto weapons. The most impressive I've seen is thier full auto M2. Those 50 cal rounds really make a thump!

Kris

Hmmm, I may have to stop by then.
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 4:32:14 PM EST
Oh man...........

Now ya did it.

I am suffering an identity problem. I am a long time member of AR15.com but I don't own an AR15. You see after meeting "the class III guys" I sold my AR and a bunch of other guns so I could afford a full auto. So now that I have a couple fun guns of my own, am I an Arfcomer, or am I one of "the class III guys"?

Doesn't really matter as I will be there either way.
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 5:39:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By Lumpy223:
Oh man...........

Now ya did it.

I am suffering an identity problem. I am a long time member of AR15.com but I don't own an AR15. You see after meeting "the class III guys" I sold my AR and a bunch of other guns so I could afford a full auto. So now that I have a couple fun guns of my own, am I an Arfcomer, or am I one of "the class III guys"?

Doesn't really matter as I will be there either way.

So, have I met you before? Are you a class 3 or C&R? Were you out at the pit during the last IMA (pirani arena) gun show?? I was out there with my brother and his friend. I had the AR-15 and had just bought the .22 conversion from Phil from Sherridan (sp?) Arms booth at the show. I had to borrow some oil to get it working right. So, were you there?

Kris
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 3:51:12 AM EST
Very possible. I was shooting down by the right end of the line where the two 1919s (not mine) were set up.
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 7:24:45 AM EST
Yep, I remember those guns. My brother helped teach a couple guys how to bump fire thier AK, and I was bump firing my AR. One of the class 3 guys let us shoot his Thompson and his Uzi towards the end of the day. One guy there had his kid bump firing a Cobray with a barrel extension. I talked to hin for a few minutes on how to bumpfire something small like that. Sound familiar? What were you shooting?

Kris
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 2:20:20 PM EST
That would have been MichMan1 with the Cobray. I was set up just to the left of him. I think all I had with me that day was my AR18.
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 2:25:54 PM EST
Well, just 1 work week away!

Looking forward to meeting many of you as well as taking care of the land and shooting!

Bring your digitals.!
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 2:27:32 PM EST
Where does all this happen? (Your map won't load Lumpy223.) I just posted a little while ago that I'll be coming home soon, and home just so happens to be Port Huron. Might be nice to get to a large ARFcom shoot for once in my life.
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 2:32:51 PM EST
Lapp_Dance.....IM me your e-mail address and I will send you the map. I have it saved as a JPEG picture.
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 5:32:18 PM EST
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top