User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2012 6:33:31 PM EDT
From douglas county sheriff:
• Be a resident of Douglas County Oregon
• Never have been convicted of a felony
Not have been convicted of a misdemeanor in the last four years
• Have no outstanding warrants, or free on any form of pretrial release
• Have never been committed to the Mental Health and Developmental Disability Services Division, or have been found to be mentally ill and subject to an order prohibiting purchasing or possessing firearms because of mental illness.
• Provide written documentation from a firearms safety course utilizing instructors certified by the NRA or a law enforcement agency or participation in the military service with handgun training indicated.
• Pass a background check
• Not be subject to a citation or an order for stalking or an order issued under the Family Abuse Prevention Act.
• Never been convicted of any Domestic Assault, Battery, or any other Domestic Misdemeanor that would prohibit you from possessing a firearm under Federal Law.
My question is: is this even in the law, or are we allowing the sheriff to be discreshionery? I've never been in any trouble my self, I'm just kind of a civil rights activist you might say and it makes me wunder if there is any basis for this or just us accepting it? A misdemeanor certainly doesn't prevent you from buying or owning a gun, so why would it prohibit you from getting a CHL?
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Read the law,

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166

specifically your questions can be answered at 166.291 (h) and 166.293 (3) (a)
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Read the law,

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166

specifically your questions can be answered at 166.291 (h) and 166.293 (3) (a)

OK Thanks I learned something new.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top