Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/11/2010 4:06:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/24/2010 7:23:09 PM EDT by Mastadon]
It occurs to me that, if there are so many of us Arfcommers around the area, we should probably get together and do some shooting. I, for one, would like to get to know some of the other members here. I have no plan, just a couple of ideas. Maybe something in the Laurens or Newberry County area so it's kind of central to the Upstate and Midlands, and not too far from the Charlotte-area Arfcommers.

There are a couple of places we could shoot in Laurens County, and one where we could shoot and eat. First, there's the Philsons Crossroads range in Laurens County, just north of I-26 near Clinton. There's also The Clinton House, but that's more for shooting clays and not so much for rifles. Harris Springs is another hunting preserve in Laurens County, though I don't know that it's set up for rifles, either.

That's it. Just a thought, maybe something for September/October when it's a little cooler and to give us time to plan something. Any interest out there?

ETA: OK, so there's a public range in each of the counties listed. Additionally, andyrv's range is in Spartanburg County. The question is, which county is most convenient for you if you are planning to attend?

THE PLAN SO FAR (Updated 24 September 2010)

Time: Weekend of September 25
Place: Philsons Crossroads range with camping at Brick House Recreation Area.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 5:15:20 PM EDT
I'm in Greenville and I'd be interested. Always up to meet fellow shooters. Don't really have anything to offer for range ideas though.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 5:33:00 PM EDT
I'm up just south of Asheville and might be down depending on where and when. Im gonna try and go to the Advanced Armament Silencer Shoot at T1G in Memphis this year too tho, so my shooting budget my be taken up for that in the fall.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 6:41:17 PM EDT
I'm in I think - as long as it's not on a gun show weekend in SC..
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 7:23:31 AM EDT
I'd be up for a meet as well.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 7:39:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/6/2010 6:12:47 PM EDT by liberty057]
Great idea. I'm game.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 12:05:09 PM EDT
I think I've contacted a few of you guys already, Mastodon I know we have emailed, and would like to meet a few new faces as well. I'm offering my 200+ yard range at my house if you guys are interested or, if you would rather meet at Philson's, I'll be there. Any questions or someone wants to meet sooner, just shoot me an IM.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 12:23:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By andyrv672wl:
I think I've contacted a few of you guys already, Mastodon I know we have emailed, and would like to meet a few new faces as well. I'm offering my 200+ yard range at my house if you guys are interested or, if you would rather meet at Philson's, I'll be there. Any questions or someone wants to meet sooner, just shoot me an IM.

Yep, I'd love to take you up on that. The only reason I mentioned Philson's is its more central location to most upstate counties. However, I love the idea of your longer range and the fact that it's private. How are your neighbors and Spartanburg County LE with lots of shooting? Isn't there some weird statute or whatever about rifle ranges up your way?
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 5:00:10 PM EDT
After 8 years of shooting, my neighbors are used to it. I've only had problems with the cops one time when I had about 30 guys here and 5 or 6 guys going at it full tilt with full-autos. Believe me, I'm surprised we got to shoot as long as we did. It literally sounded like a war zone. If anyone is interested in coming over one Saturday in the coming weeks to check out my place, feel free to give me a call. It's not uncommon to have a handful of guys over here shooting on a Saturday. If it looks like the crowd is going to grow too big when the time comes, we can cruise on down to Philson's. Its only about 16 miles from my house. I have 3 guys coming over this Saturday to blast. Here's my number; 864-978-0243.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 5:49:21 PM EDT
Make sure Phillsons is open before setting a date in stone.
Right now, the DNR guys are remodeling all 3 ranges within the next couple of months.
They started on Indian Creek this week and as far as I know, it'll be closed until all remodeling is complete.
They haven't decided which range is second in line, either Phillsons or Leeds. Just as soon as Indian Creek re opens, one of the other two will be closed.
Not sure who you could call to check on the progress. I got this info from one of the rangers that checks on people to make sure everyone's being safe and responsible shooters.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 7:27:13 PM EDT
After 8 years of shooting, my neighbors are used to it. I've only had problems with the cops one time when I had about 30 guys here and 5 or 6 guys going at it full tilt with full-autos. Believe me, I'm surprised we got to shoot as long as we did. It literally sounded like a war zone. If anyone is interested in coming over one Saturday in the coming weeks to check out my place, feel free to give me a call. It's not uncommon to have a handful of guys over here shooting on a Saturday. If it looks like the crowd is going to grow too big when the time comes, we can cruise on down to Philson's. Its only about 16 miles from my house. I have 3 guys coming over this Saturday to blast. Here's my number; 864-978-0243.

I'd love to come out and see your range. Won't be this Saturday, but maybe in the coming weeks. I'll drop you a line or give you a call, and thanks for the hospitality!
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 7:27:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/13/2010 7:28:19 PM EDT by Mastadon]
Originally Posted By BASE-RIGGER:
Right now, the DNR guys are remodeling all 3 ranges within the next couple of months.
They started on Indian Creek this week and as far as I know, it'll be closed until all remodeling is complete.
They haven't decided which range is second in line, either Phillsons or Leeds. Just as soon as Indian Creek re opens, one of the other two will be closed.
Not sure who you could call to check on the progress. I got this info from one of the rangers that checks on people to make sure everyone's being safe and responsible shooters.

Good info––I tend to shoot on a friend's property or at a local indoor range, so had no idea about this.

ETA––Check it out, a thumb tack! Guess we'll have to get serious about this.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 1:54:48 AM EDT
I would be interested. being new to the area it would be nice to meet some new arfcommers.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 9:57:19 AM EDT
I'm in Greenville and wouldn't mind doing some shooting. I've got a couple buddies in Newberry that I'm sure would shoot as well.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 11:37:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mastadon:
Originally Posted By BASE-RIGGER:

Good info––I tend to shoot on a friend's property or at a local indoor range, so had no idea about this.

ETA––Check it out, a thumb tack! Guess we'll have to get serious about this.
Yup Indian Creek has been locked up everytime I drove by this week. My company is about 10mi away so I go by it a couple times a week.

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 12:24:14 PM EDT
If we start thinking about something for late September/early October, maybe the rework will be complete and we'll have a nice, "new" range. I'll see if I can't talk to someone in Laurens County about what's up with the plans to close and remodel. Once we know, we can think about whether or not that's the route we want to go. Remember that we do have an offer for a private range, too.
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 6:23:57 PM EDT
Im in for it....we use to have these meet/greet/blasts down in sw Fl when we lived there. Peeps would bring a grill, others would pitch in for drinks chips etc
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 6:32:50 PM EDT
Sounds good, stang. I like the idea of a shoot/cookout. I've gotten the contact number for the appropriate guy at the US Forestry Service, which actually owns/manages the Philsons Crossroads range. I'll see if I can't get him on the phone next week. There's also, of course, the standing offer of using andyrv's private range. For me, the deciding factor is how convenient the location is for those planning to attend. In fact, how about a poll...
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 3:52:07 AM EDT
this sounds great. count me in! i voted newberry cause im in chapin,but, id drive to philsons with no prob.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:23:01 AM EDT
Greenville/Pickens area here, but i can drive...

Bump too
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:21:02 AM EDT
Does anyone want to add in say an overnight camp/hike try out your survival gear scenario? I'm sure we could all learn something from each other, especially me......
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:37:08 PM EDT
I'm in West Columbia and would love to hit Indian Creek.

BK:American
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:53:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/20/2010 2:58:25 AM EDT by Colt45guy]
I'd definitely like to meet the SC crew in person––keep us posted on times/dates

eta: I'm in Camden––-do most of my shooting in the back yard, but the backstop isn't enough for multiple shooters. I have reliable transportation and have room for 2 others (and gear) if anyone wants to carpool.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:16:15 AM EDT
Just a quick update with no real results. I've got a call in to the Forestry Service and am involved in a riveting game of phone tag. The Forestry Service people that I've talked to have been very nice, though.

As to the idea of making it a camping thing, I'd love that. I'm sure that most of you know that Philson's Crossroads is in the middle of Sumter National Forest, so I'm sure that good camping abounds. I have no idea about trails or primitive camping areas, though. Anyone spend much time in the forest there?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:33:59 AM EDT
OK, I spoke with Forestry, and you can't reserve the range. In fact, she said that Philson's has been much busier than usual with the Indian Creek renovation. So, I'm thinking our best might just be taking up andyrv672wl on his offer. It's not as central, but we'd have a longer range and wouldn't have to worry about fending off the public (or that guy who polices up your brass as you're standing there shooting, which sometimes gets on my nerves). What says the Carolinas hive?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:46:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/20/2010 7:47:50 AM EDT by RDTCU]
Where is Andy located? (which way from Philson's)
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:59:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/20/2010 8:59:42 AM EDT by Mastadon]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
Where is Andy located? (which way from Philson's)

Spartanburg County, but I'm not sure exactly where.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:54:48 AM EDT
I'm down for wherever so I'm abstaining from the vote. Anyhow, I rode by Indian Creek last Thursday. They've demo'd the old benches/shelters and have added concrete pads so far. Can't wait to check out the progress again soon. Took a pic of the work in progress:

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:06:37 AM EDT
I was talking to a few local shooting buddies this past weekend and they were wanting to get together for a shoot and cookout with maybe some folks wanting to camp from out of town. I suggested we seriously think about Leeds since they have camping and picnic facilities ther in the state park. they have a boat ramp there on the river also. And it's kinda a central location also. What do you think?
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:57:44 AM EDT
I'd be fine with that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:26:11 AM EDT
Works for me too, might not be able to stay for the camping but a day of shooting and goofing off sounds good.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 10:35:19 PM EDT
I'm down in the Lowcountry, but I have friends in the West Columbia/Columbia area to stay with, if this would be a weekend thing, just need a few weeks notice to get work straight, friends straight, and to buy more ammo

I like road trips in the Jeep.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:01:33 AM EDT
i voted, even tho I'm in NC. Spartanburg county is really pretty close for me
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:40:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2010 11:46:15 AM EDT by Mastadon]
For those in Columbia and NC (ETA particularly the Charlotte area), Leeds might be even better as it's near Chester at the northeastern corner of Sumter National Forest (I think). Unless someone has serious objections, let's call it Leeds and figure out a good time. I'm thinking late September to get past the broiling heat and let folks get settled into the back-to-school routine. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:15:43 PM EDT
Sounds good..Im in Will bring some swag to trade/sell/barter...Might even consider giving a small class on refinishing for those interested......www.hardcorpsweaponry.com(me) just to peak your interest I will be bringing a YHM coated in the C series cerakote to show how it performs!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 2:59:19 PM EDT
I'll be there with a couple of full-autos and cans.

I will be bringing a YHM coated in the C series cerakote to show how it performs!!!!!

Can I try it on my M16? I have the QD adapter on one of my uppers.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 3:12:47 PM EDT
I'll be there with a couple of full-autos and cans.

I will be bringing a YHM coated in the C series cerakote to show how it performs!!!!!

Can I try it on my M16? I have the QD adapter on one of my uppers.

No problem We abused one I coated in C-series at work.....Used a MK17 & 5K rounds....The color did fade alittle, but very impressive
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 6:19:31 PM EDT
Ok, I'll get this started. How about Saturday, September 25?
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 6:52:49 PM EDT
9/25 @ Leeds sounds good! I'll be coming from UNCC area and will have some 1/2" AR500 steel targets that we can tag all day
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 7:51:17 PM EDT
9/25 @ Leeds sounds good! I'll be coming from UNCC area and will have some 1/2" AR500 steel targets that we can tag all day

Cut them yourself or bought?

So if this date works, anyone else up for camping?
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 8:29:23 PM EDT
9/25 is good for me, and I'm definitely up for camping out.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 9:20:08 PM EDT

Will you be camping Friday or Saturday night?
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 7:37:01 AM EDT
I guess we need to find out if Leeds or Philsons is closed next. Anybody know anyone in DNR?
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 10:26:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/27/2010 10:26:39 AM EDT by jerz_subbie]

Cut them yourself or bought?

I had a couple sheets cut up a while back and sold the rest, about a ton worth. If you've never tried to cut/drill them, don't.... unless you have a submerged plasma, laser, or waterjet.

I may or may not camp, depends how school is going at the time.
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 11:45:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/27/2010 11:51:21 AM EDT by schultz]
Hi all Andy told me of this thread and it just so happens we are planning one over on Palmettoshooters http://www.palmettoshootersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=700 Maybe once it is known which range DNR will hit next we can join forces sort a speak?
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 12:10:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/27/2010 12:12:47 PM EDT by Mastadon]

Will you be camping Friday or Saturday night?

I can only camp on Saturday night, so there's my "vote".

I guess we need to find out if Leeds or Philsons is closed next. Anybody know anyone in DNR?

Leeds and Philsons are actually not DNR, but US Forestry. I just talked to them, and here's the deal:

1. Indian Creek has been underway for 3 weeks, and they should be finished on Friday. That includes some unforeseen delays, so the guy says that the other ranges should take between 2 and 3 weeks.

2. Next comes Fairforest, but the forestry guy wasn't sure what would come after that.

3. Bottom line is, nobody seems to know whether Leeds or Philsons (or neither) will be undergoing renovation at the end of September, but only one at a time will be out of commission.

4. Brickhouse camping facility is 10-12 miles from Philsons Crossroads, but that facility has no water. That doesn't bother me as I can bring my own, but it's obviously a drawback (there are restrooms, but no water means they're outhouses).

So, if we plan on the weekend of the 25 at Leeds, we can always fall back on Philsons if necessary. The two aren't that far apart (kind of opposite corners of Sumter National Forest), so I think that's probably a good Plan A and Plan B. How does that sound?
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 12:10:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By schultz:
Hi all Andy told me of this thread and it just so happens we are planning one over on Palmettoshooters http://www.palmettoshootersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=700 Maybe once it is known which range DNR will hit next we can join forces sort a speak?

That'd be fine with me––the more the merrier!
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 3:53:39 PM EDT
Unfortunately the 25th doesn't work for me. I hope you guys have fun!
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 4:56:04 PM EDT

Why not the 26th since some of us are camping? I plan to be there 2 days.
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 5:43:53 PM EDT

26th works for me, but don't make plans on just my account.
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 6:47:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By war86:

26th works for me, but don't make plans on just my account.

I'm planning on the 26th as well, so come on down!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top