Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/12/2021 7:58:47 AM EDT
Hi guys.

I arrived in your great state Thursday night.  Landed in Hannibal and then headed West on  Rte 36.  I like the lay of the land.  A lot more trees and hills than Indiana and Illinois.

Went to Kansas City for barbecue. Headed East on 70 then down to Sedalia. I'm trying to get a feel for places and what I like.  Then play the real estate game and purchase a small home on 5 - 10 acre of land.  

I just wanted to check in and say hi for now.  Im hoping my schedule will allow me volunteer at Cola Warrior.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2021 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hi guys.

I arrived in your great state Thursday night.  Landed in Hannibal and then headed West on  Rte 36.  I like the lay of the land.  A lot more trees and hills than Indiana and Illinois.

Went to Kansas City for barbecue. Headed East on 70 then down to Sedalia. I'm trying to get a feel for places and what I like.  Then play the real estate game and purchase a small home on 5 - 10 acre of land.  

I just wanted to check in and say hi for now.  Im hoping my schedule will allow me volunteer at Cola Warrior.  

View Quote

Welcome! I live close to where you 'landed'. Love it here! My wife and I escaped from Ill-noise almost 2 years ago. By the way our Governor is signing our Second Amendment Preservation Act today in Lee's Summit, MO. at Frontier Justice. That is close to Kansas City.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#4]
After 50 years in ILL, I fled when Obamass announced he was running for prez the first time.  

One of the best decisions I ever made.  

Except for the libertard urban areas [including St Louis County] any place in MO is better than any place in ILL or NY.

Welcome!

Link Posted: 6/12/2021 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to a great State. Don't forget to take a look at Warrensburg and surrounding small towns like Centerville, Holden, Leeton, Monet, and if you like planes, there is Whiteman AFB where the B2 is home. Those fuckers fly over my house almost every day when there's a scirmish somewhere and I live almost 50 miles from the base.

Clinton is a hot spot for fishing/hunting on thousands of acres of conservation land. Also yearly fishing tournaments that brings in lots of nuts and lines waiting at the gas pumps, but is really a decent city of about 20K with good hospital/health care and gun shops.

Link Posted: 6/12/2021 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys for the welcomes and insight.

I went down to Buffalo, then Springfield, then Branson.  
Took a ride in the woods on conservation land trying to Bull Shoals and nearly got myself stuck in the mud attempting to cross a flooded spot on the road.   And there was no cell service to boot. That lead to a lot of anxiety knowing I'd have to cross it again.  On the way out I saw how high the water level was with only roofs of picnic pavilions showing.
I then went up to Ava and then made my way to 44 East.
I'm liking what I see so far. It will be tough to choose but I'll need a job so I'll end up a little closer to a town than what I'd consider ideal.

Link Posted: 6/12/2021 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Come on man!
You know you want to live here in St. Louis!
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 11:16:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Come on man!
View Quote

Nooooooooooooooo!....don't take this invite.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 12:24:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Welcome!
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:21:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks guys for the welcomes and insight.

I went down to Buffalo, then Springfield, then Branson.  
Took a ride in the woods on conservation land trying to Bull Shoals and nearly got myself stuck in the mud attempting to cross a flooded spot on the road.   And there was no cell service to boot. That lead to a lot of anxiety knowing I'd have to cross it again.  On the way out I saw how high the water level was with only roofs of picnic pavilions showing.
I then went up to Ava and then made my way to 44 East.
I'm liking what I see so far. It will be tough to choose but I'll need a job so I'll end up a little closer to a town than what I'd consider ideal.

View Quote

Seems you’re saving the best for last. Head south of Interstate 44 and get down in the heart of the Ozarks. You need to go to Emminence, west plains, ironton, etc. Go float Current River, swim at Johnson Shut-ins. When you’re done with that, go to Hermann and Augusta and drink some wine
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:53:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Clinton is a hot spot for fishing/hunting on thousands of acres of conservation land. Also yearly fishing tournaments that brings in lots of nuts and lines waiting at the gas pumps, but is really a decent city of about 20K with good hospital/health care and gun shops.

View Quote

And Pizza Glen

Welcome to MO!  I don't feel like there's any bad place but overall I wouldn't want to live in Jackson or St. Louis county.  Seems like given the choice most people gravitate to the ozarks somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#12]
You need to check out the Eleven Point, Jacks Fork and Current rivers and the surrounding areas. And what ever you do please leave all the New York political bullshit back in New York. We do not need the liberal policies of New York and California here in MO.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Come on man!

Where's your sense of adventure man?
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife and I left the Chicago area a couple years ago and bought a home in SW Missouri near Stockton. We were amazed at how little real estate costs here compared to Chicago. We're out in the country on 20 acres and are very happy here. It's quiet and peaceful and I can shoot and hunt on our land. I put in a food plot of about an acre of so and am seeing deer and turkey nearly every day within 150 yards of the house. There's a beautiful 25,000 acre lake near the house and the boat launch is right down the road. Jobs in the immediate vicinity are kinda scarce and don't pay very well, but Springfield is only 40 miles or so and I understand there's lots of jobs available there.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#15]
OP, Welcome to MO. I moved here last summer, also from NY, not too far from the falls.

If you're up for hiking, night vision and shooting, some of us meet up for APC hikes, you should come to one sometime. Again, welcome.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 12:07:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Do not vote Democrat if you move here.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This...if you value your Liberty...once again...do NOT vote demon-crat in our state. Unfortunately nowadays, democrat is just another name for marxism.
Not trying to be an a**hole just honest. We value our Freedom highly here in Missouri.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Guys,
Thanks again for the welcomes.

This place is great.

I didn't move away from everything I know to come and vote Democrat.  I know how that goes, I lived it and hated it.  I will go far to stop it. Who knows?  I may even be more conservative than the average MO resident.  

When McDonalds gave me a plastic straw the other day you couldn't believe how happy it made me.  

I have liked my experience so far and see no reason I couldn't be a happy and productive resident of Missouri.

I'm sure the APC would help me get into a shape other than round. I'm also afraid it will cause my bank account more pain than my body.

The rules are so different here I'm stunned in a great way.  Very happy I took the leap.

Currently I'm in Mexico, MO waiting to hear back from a realtor.

I just wanted to check in, give an update and say thank you.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Guys,
Thanks again for the welcomes . . .

View Quote

Several folks have alluded to the Ozarks, but i think you should know that southern Missouri is vastly different than north Missouri. There’s nothing wrong with Audrain County, but it’s NOTHING like Shannon or Reynolds County. It’s like you’re in two completely different states. You really owe it to yourself to experience the deep Ozarks before making a decision.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Guys,
Thanks again for the welcomes.

This place is great.

I didn't move away from everything I know to come and vote Democrat.  I know how that goes, I lived it and hated it.  I will go far to stop it. Who knows?  I may even be more conservative than the average MO resident.  

When McDonalds gave me a plastic straw the other day you couldn't believe how happy it made me.  

I have liked my experience so far and see no reason I couldn't be a happy and productive resident of Missouri.

I'm sure the APC would help me get into a shape other than round. I'm also afraid it will cause my bank account more pain than my body.

The rules are so different here I'm stunned in a great way.  Very happy I took the leap.

View Quote

Great to hear!! We will take ALL the conservatives that move here...and don't be a stranger on our MO home forum here. If there is something I can help with...just send me an IM.  Mexico, MO is about an hour away from where my wife and I live.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:46:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Several folks have alluded to the Ozarks, but i think you should know that southern Missouri is vastly different than north Missouri. There's nothing wrong with Audrain County, but it's NOTHING like Shannon or Reynolds County. It's like you're in two completely different states. You really owe it to yourself to experience the deep Ozarks before making a decision.

View Quote

This is very true!  Just make sure to tell everyone you are from NY.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:53:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wouldn't matter. Folks from Doniphan assume people from north of I-44 are Yankees anyway . . .
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I get a strong reaction from folks when I disclose where I'm from .  But, I think my accent gives me away before I even tell them.  That's OK.  If I had liked NYers I wouldn't have left.

I was born in a place on Long Island where I could hear bobwhite quail from my backyard.  There was a potato field behind us and a corn field at the end of the street.  Over fifty years that place is now so built up it's crazy.  I'm hoping to move far enough away from development so if it catches up with me in 25 years or so I'll be old enough to not give a shit.

Very beautiful land here.  I'd like it more if it was a few degrees cooler though but I'll take it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Great to hear!! We will take ALL the conservatives that move here...and don't be a stranger on our MO home forum here. If there is something I can help with...just send me an IM.  Mexico, MO is about an hour away from where my wife and I live.
View Quote
Thank you.  I'm sure I'll be here asking questions for everyone's amusement and I know I'll need plenty of help.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Very beautiful land here.  I'd like it more if it was a few degrees cooler though but I'll take it.
View Quote

I agree with that. I don't like any temp above mid-60s.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'd like it more if it was a few degrees cooler though but I'll take it.
View Quote

Summer is coming.

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Summer is coming.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd like it more if it was a few degrees cooler though but I'll take it.
Summer is coming.

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I need some schooling on the driving wave.  It seems when on gravel most people wave.  When on pavement some people wave.  

I started waving at everyone not to be rude but find many waves aren't returned.

What is the code?
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#29]
The more rural, the more waves.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The more rural, the more waves.
View Quote
Ok. Got it. Thanks

I also noticed women wave A LOT less than men.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ok. Got it. Thanks

I also noticed women wave A LOT less than men.
View Quote

I rarely wave at women.

I generally only wave on gravel, though sometimes on lettered highways. Just depends. And it's not really a wave, just two fingers off the steering wheel. But I live in town, so I'm not an authority of the wave.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I rarely wave at women.

I generally only wave on gravel, though sometimes on lettered highways. Just depends. And it's not really a wave, just two fingers off the steering wheel. But I live in town, so I'm not an authority of the wave.
View Quote
I did get a bunch of one finger waves but not the type I'm used to
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#33]
So, you said you need to find a job. What kind of work do you do?
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I did get a bunch of one finger waves but not the type I'm used to
View Quote

The one finger lifted from the steering wheel in meeting on the road is the farmer wave.  We wave to each other all the time here.  I can be in a tractor in a field and people passing by wave.  Actually in a tractor everyone waves at you.  I have to drive straight through town to move to different fields and it's funny how many waves I get lol.  

I spend a week or so in upstate New York for a wedding, a friend got married at Colgate.  I think I was staying in Utica and I didn't think it was bad all.  Probably like St Louis compared to Mexico, the majority of the state is probably good folks.

Illinois is the most extreme example.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 8:04:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Two fingers off the wheel on gravel, lettered routes optional.  I wave at everyone on both, just a force of habit from watching my Dad growing up I guess.  My wife doesn't wave at anyone, but she's from the big city.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I can be in a tractor in a field and people passing by wave.  Actually in a tractor everyone waves at you.  I have to drive straight through town to move to different fields and it's funny how many waves I get lol.  
View Quote

Speaking of tractors, OP, as you've probably seen in your travels, we are in the midst of hay and planting seasons, so there are a lot of tractors and associated ag equipment out on the road.  Try to give them as much room as you can and be patient, most of them aren't real quick.  Pretty common sense stuff, but you don't want to get labeled as the a-hole NY guy that passed Farmer Bob on a blind curve/hill.  One thing I've seen a lot in small towns, once you get labeled as an a-hole down at the coffee shop/bar/etc., its hard to live it down.  Often times its not even a fair assessment, which sucks, but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sometimes I get the stink eye from people when I tell them I'm from Illinois, but I'm usually quick to explain we moved here because of Illinois' taxes and politics. As a rule, people are pretty friendly but tend to keep to themselves, which is OK. I have found it kinda hard to meet new people but I suppose that's partly due to Covid.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So, you said you need to find a job. What kind of work do you do?
View Quote
I am a long time gun counter sales clerk / store manager but I don't have to do that. I can do other things as well.

I will always love guns but much of the joy has been dissipated by making them a career.   2019-2020 really sucked the life out of me and I've seen every sales surge since 1997.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Speaking of tractors, OP, as you've probably seen in your travels, we are in the midst of hay and planting seasons, so there are a lot of tractors and associated ag equipment out on the road.  Try to give them as much room as you can and be patient, most of them aren't real quick.  Pretty common sense stuff, but you don't want to get labeled as the a-hole NY guy that passed Farmer Bob on a blind curve/hill.  One thing I've seen a lot in small towns, once you get labeled as an a-hole down at the coffee shop/bar/etc., its hard to live it down.  Often times its not even a fair assessment, which sucks, but it is what it is.
View Quote
I won't do that but thanks for the advice.  I did catch myself zoning out and going too slow a couple of times.  I'm tooling along all by myself and I catch someone in my rear view mirror and I'm only doing 45.

I don't want to earn any undesirable labels.
Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:44:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I am a long time gun counter sales clerk / store manager but I don't have to do that. I can do other things as well.

I will always love guns but much of the joy has been dissipated by making them a career.   2019-2020 really sucked the life out of me and I've seen every sales surge since 1997.
View Quote

I owned a little pawn shop for about eight years so i get how gun customers can be.

You probably don’t need to be told that Graf & Sons is based in Mexico, and that Midway USA is in Columbia. Smith & Wesson also is opening (or has opened) a big facility in Columbia as well. Also, Sierra Bullets is in Sedalia. Fiocchi is in Ozark, Mo. Bass Pro Shops is headquartered in Springfield.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I managed an archery shop for a few years.  It's a good way to ruin a hobby!!
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#42]
@Hanz

Just saw this thread.   Welcome,  I don't disclose it much but I am a recovering New Yorker.  I left ~20 years ago.      What part of the state did you live?    

A few things that will seem strange to you.   The process of getting plates can be a bit odd here with the personal property tax and that you need to get an exemption for your first year to get plates.  What I am saying is you will need to get some paperwork from the county you live in before you go to DMV.  Don't want you to have to go 2x.      But honestly DMV here is much better the NYS.   Fees are much better.  

The pizza and the bagels will not be up to your standards and they do this thing in alot of places where they cut the pizza in squares.  

Other then that its great here.   You don't need to wait a year and ask a judge to get a pistol.    

Link Posted: 6/19/2021 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
@Hanz

Just saw this thread.   Welcome,  I don't disclose it much but I am a recovering New Yorker.  I left ~20 years ago.      What part of the state did you live?    

A few things that will seem strange to you.   The process of getting plates can be a bit odd here with the personal property tax and that you need to get an exemption for your first year to get plates.  What I am saying is you will need to get some paperwork from the county you live in before you go to DMV.  Don't want you to have to go 2x.      But honestly DMV here is much better the NYS.   Fees are much better.  

The pizza and the bagels will not be up to your standards and they do this thing in alot of places where they cut the pizza in squares.  

Other then that its great here.   You don't need to wait a year and ask a judge to get a pistol.    

View Quote

With out of state vehicles, you'll also need to have vehicle(s) inspected(run VIN, do brake check, I'm sure lights/signals/brake lamps and whatever else is on "out of state" inspection) to get the correct additional paperwork to show it passes Missouri safety before going to the DMV to get new plates. This inspection is on top of the annual vehicle inspection for the windshield sticker, but most of the inspection passes to both paperwork in which you'll need.

However, Missouri doesn't do any engine running smog checks. Your vehicle can smoke like a coal fired furnace plant and if brakes/steering/ball joints are good, you'll pass.

There's nothing wrong with square pizza. It eats the same as pie shaped pizza. Square pizza also fits better in a square box.

Get to  know some  of your new neighbors and find out where to get  or learn to make some good  Apple Pie Shine. You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 9:13:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I owned a little pawn shop for about eight years so i get how gun customers can be.

You probably don't need to be told that Graf & Sons is based in Mexico, and that Midway USA is in Columbia. Smith & Wesson also is opening (or has opened) a big facility in Columbia as well. Also, Sierra Bullets is in Sedalia. Fiocchi is in Ozark, Mo. Bass Pro Shops is headquartered in Springfield.
View Quote
Most regular customers were great.  It's just the odds and ends (and all the 2019-2020 newbies) that were tough.
I accidentally drove past Sierra and had a big smile over it.  I've shot their stuff for years.  I drove past Midway and S&W's American Outdoor in Columbia.  Haven't been past Fiocchi (I didn't know that) or Bass Pro.
How do the panhandlers in Columbia decide who gets what intersection?  Are there bumfights and if so, how do I get tickets?
Quoted:

I managed an archery shop for a few years.  It's a good way to ruin a hobby!!
View Quote
It's tough for sure and can really suck the fun out of things.  It really can be trying.
Quoted:
@Hanz

View Quote
I should have gotten out over a decade ago.  Born and raised Suffolk County, Long Island.  I always thought I'd land in PA (my family has a little bit of history there) but it's not a safe bet politically and I'm only going to relocate once.  
My sister (in Ohio for 25 years) told me to eat pizza and bagels everyday before I left NY
Thanks for the heads up on the vehicle registration.  I'm still searching for something to buy but I'll approach the county when I do.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

With out of state vehicles, you'll also need to have vehicle(s) inspected(run VIN, do brake check, I'm sure lights/signals/brake lamps and whatever else is on "out of state" inspection) to get the correct additional paperwork to show it passes Missouri safety before going to the DMV to get new plates. This inspection is on top of the annual vehicle inspection for the windshield sticker, but most of the inspection passes to both paperwork in which you'll need.

However, Missouri doesn't do any engine running smog checks. Your vehicle can smoke like a coal fired furnace plant and if brakes/steering/ball joints are good, you'll pass.

There's nothing wrong with square pizza. It eats the same as pie shaped pizza. Square pizza also fits better in a square box.

Get to  know some  of your new neighbors and find out where to get  or learn to make some good  Apple Pie Shine. You won't regret it.
View Quote
Thanks for the additional information.

Apple Pie Shine sounds great!
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I accidentally drove past Sierra and had a big smile over it.  I've shot their stuff for years.  I drove past Midway and S&W's American Outdoor in Columbia.  Haven't been past Fiocchi (I didn't know that) or Bass Pro.

View Quote

Bass Pro is worth a visit. The NRA has a museum there that's pretty good.

Do you like wine? Have you made it to Hermann and/or Augusta yet?
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 10:40:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Bass Pro is worth a visit. The NRA has a museum there that's pretty good.

Do you like wine? Have you made it to Hermann and/or Augusta yet?
View Quote
I drove through Hermann just yesterday AM.  Loved the area, I can see why it was settled and farmed so long ago.  Not a big wine drinker but half of me has German ancestors.

I spent some time across the river at Katy Trail State Park in McKittrick.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

NYS has crazy inspections, I should have mentioned it.   And MO only cares about smog in certain counties, but where he is looking he is GTG.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I spent some time across the river at Katy Trail State Park in McKittrick.
View Quote

I assume you picked up on the fact that the park is 240 miles long.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 8:22:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I assume you picked up on the fact that the park is 240 miles long.
View Quote
Yes.  Cool stuff.

I went to Bass Pro in Springfield today.  An amazing place.  Only spent ten minutes in the NRA Museum but geeked out on a few exhibits.  Have to go back and spend a lot more time there.

Bah, photos want to go sideways. No photos to share.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top