Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2011 10:01:02 AM EDT
Hello folks, I live in Champaign county so I don't suffer under the same unreasonable bans as my Illinois brethren that live in Cook county and the like.

That said, as far as I know, AR15 pistols are legal in Illinois particularly in the county I live in. I did see a S&W 22LR AR pistol at a local dealer so I assume that I could own a 5.56 AR pistol in my county, correct?

Please advise.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never heard of any Illinois restriction that would prevent ownership of an AR pistol, but personally, I never could figure out what they were good for. I have a friend who has one and I've shot it...I just don't see the use for it. I guess for a novel range toy it's fine.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't know about your county, but AR15 Pistols are legal in IL.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've never heard of any Illinois restriction that would prevent ownership of an AR pistol, but personally, I never could figure out what they were good for. I have a friend who has one and I've shot it...I just don't see the use for it. I guess for a novel range toy it's fine.
That's OK. You're not the one considering purchasing one - I am. ;)

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah they are legal in IL

RB Precision sells AR pistol lowers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the confirmation gents. Now I just have to decide if I really want one. ;)
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thank you for the confirmation gents. Now I just have to decide if I really want one. ;)

You dont, they're stupid.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:27:41 AM EDT
[#7]
While I can appreciate and respect the opinions of others on the intrinsic value of an AR pistol, in turn I would hope that others would extend the same courtesy to me.

I take no purchase lightly, especially that of a firearm so rest assured whether I decide to purchase an AR pistol or not, the matter will be given sufficient and adequate thought beforehand.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#8]

GTG - just ensure that the FFL knows that the lower is being purchased as 'other', not a rifle. Wait 3 days and that's that - go find an upper (or upper parts). Be sure to not get that upper until you have the lower. Read up on basic pistol laws (links to pistol forum) and you'll be fine.

Pistols are fun and with practice you can shoot quite accurately with one. Without being able to make it SBR, it is kind of relegated to 'toy' category though. IMO - don't bother dropping a $$ optic on it. If going to range,  might want to tell them you have it with you - just to be clear that this is not an SBR when somebody tries to rat you out.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Gotch ya. I've been thinking about this for a few years and as such I've been reading up on the legalities associated with it, at least on an NFA/constructive intent level.

I'm going to buy it all as one so I don't have to worry about buying the upper before the lower (I want to insure a good fit from the manufacturer.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
While I can appreciate and respect the opinions of others on the intrinsic value of an AR pistol, in turn I would hope that others would extend the same courtesy to me.

I take no purchase lightly, especially that of a firearm so rest assured whether I decide to purchase an AR pistol or not, the matter will be given sufficient and adequate thought beforehand.

You're right. You didn't solicit my opinion and I shouldn't have expressed it. Enjoy your new gun.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Gotch ya. I've been thinking about this for a few years and as such I've been reading up on the legalities associated with it, at least on an NFA/constructive intent level.

I'm going to buy it all as one so I don't have to worry about buying the upper before the lower (I want to insure a good fit from the manufacturer.

So you understand - don't do anything blatantly dumb.

I have a Spikes lower and Adco built 10.5 upper - carbine length gas and buffer worked out well. Just like anything else, stick to good stuff and you should be fine - really depends on what you (the owner) wants. My lessons learned: Pay attention to the bolt / extractor (definitely a place to spend an extra $20) and beware the lure of a shorty buffer.....

Have fun, shooting a fire-breathing AR pistol has been known to cause uncontrollable smiles.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 12:57:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So you understand - don't do anything blatantly dumb.
You are correct. ;)  

I have a Spikes lower and Adco built 10.5 upper - carbine length gas and buffer worked out well. Just like anything else, stick to good stuff and you should be fine - really depends on what you (the owner) wants. My lessons learned: Pay attention to the bolt / extractor (definitely a place to spend an extra $20) and beware the lure of a shorty buffer.....
If I jump the shark and decide to get one, I'm going to have Spike's make me a complete pistol so I should be GTG on it.

Have fun, shooting a fire-breathing AR pistol has been known to cause uncontrollable smiles.
Will do. ;)

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#13]
The last stripped lower I had sent to me through my FFL dealer, I had to wait three days before I could pick it up because it could be used as a pistol also they told me. That's not what I intended it for but I had to wait anyway...Doesn't matter though, I lost all my firearms in a tragic boating accident this year...oh well
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#14]

If I jump the shark and decide to get one, I'm going to have Spike's make me a complete pistol so I should be GTG on it.

Nice way of putting it - it ranks up there with restoring a Delorean when it comes to wasting of resources for nothing but fun.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Good to see you again Matt, hope things are well!

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:19:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Yo Dawg, how are you doing? Yeah, I've been AWOL for a while because I found the more time I spent on this site, the more money I spent. ;) That and I had other priorities.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yo Dawg, how are you doing? Yeah, I've been AWOL for a while because I found the more time I spent on this site, the more money I spent. ;) That and I had other priorities.

Doing good, and design and make gun parts there days!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top