Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2008 5:04:13 PM EDT
I just got off the phone with "Essential Arms." Fifteen minutes ago I had planed to buy a few lowers from them and have them shipped to an FFL here in California. Thanks to the DOJ, my plans have been shattered.

The man at "Essential Arms" told me that they received a letter a few months ago from the CA DOJ telling them that they had been added to the list of banned manufacturers here. He further said that they had not got their attorney on it yet because of the hurricanes etc.

He said that there are still one or two manufactures that have not (yet) been added to the list. He thought one of them might be Bushmaster. I will be calling them Monday morning.

So my questions are this: does anybody know who makes  AR-15 lower receivers (for 5.56) that are still legal in the PRK?
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Read this thread from calguns. There's quite a few lowers that are still off-list in California, I wasn't aware that they added more the the ban list. I just ordered six from Rainier Arms, they are getting shipped to my FFL in Santa Ana.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The man at "Essential Arms" told me that they received a letter a few months ago from the CA DOJ telling them that they had been added to the list of banned manufacturers here.

That is a BIG LOAD OF BULLSHIT. The State voted to take away the AG's ability to "list" more weapons because then the DOJ would have to open up a 90 day "registration" period.

Ask Essential Arms to contact the DOJ again and get another letter stating that they can not send CA FFL's lowers. Then get a COPY of that letter and post in on CalGuns. The RKBA lawyers will rip the DOJ to shreds....
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#3]
i would doubt what you were told. the CA DOJ has made it very clear that they will not add any lowers to the list because they would have to allow them to be registered by those who already own them. this would allow any who owned an EA lower and registered it to build it into a legally registered assault rifle instead of having to use a bullet button or monster man grip.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I got my complete stag with BB from lanworld in Utah and had it shipped to Ades. They were great to deal with.  As for the laws, my brother who is in LE double checked my legality and agrees that it is in accordance with the letter of the law since it requires the use of a tool to remove the mag. The law states that a bullet tip is considered a tool.
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 9:50:40 AM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
The man at "Essential Arms" told me that they received a letter a few months ago from the CA DOJ telling them that they had been added to the list of banned manufacturers here.

That is a BIG LOAD OF BULL****. The State voted to take away the AG's ability to "list" more weapons because then the DOJ would have to open up a 90 day "registration" period.

Ask Essential Arms to contact the DOJ again and get another letter stating that they can not send CA FFL's lowers. Then get a COPY of that letter and post in on CalGuns. The RKBA lawyers will rip the DOJ to shreds....

I have contacted them (EA) again, and they are sending me a copy of the letter. I'll be doing some digging on this while I wait for it to arrive...

And thanks for the input from the rest of you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#6]
There are plenty of OLL lowers available here. Why bother with a company that doesn't want your business?   Stag, RRA, Spikes and a bunch of others are being sold here. A lower is a lower. There are not any great differences between them other than the roll marks unless you are looking for a billet model. One machine shop probably machines lowers for several companies.
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
There are plenty of OLL lowers available here. Why bother with a company that doesn't want your business?   Stag, RRA, Spikes and a bunch of others are being sold here. A lower is a lower. There are not any great differences between them other than the roll marks unless you are looking for a billet model. One machine shop probably machines lowers for several companies.

He is just getting the letter from EA.  I would love to see the letter.  Then everyone who has a EA lower could requestan AW registration....
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#8]
i just 2 stag arms lowers and sent them to entreprise arms , try ammo bros in cerritos they had a bunck of stag, luers, ccmg and i think some other brands
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is a BIG LOAD OF BULL****. The State voted to take away the AG's ability to "list" more weapons because then the DOJ would have to open up a 90 day "registration" period.

I have contacted them (EA) again, and they are sending me a copy of the letter. I'll be doing some digging on this while I wait for it to arrive...

Get that letter asap!, we will help you get the AR15 but a letter like that will help get what we deserve.
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 12:25:34 AM EDT
[#10]
We need to see that letter!
Please post the text here including date.

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 1:34:08 AM EDT
[#11]
It sounds like the DOJ is ripe for a new reaming .
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#12]
is it possible for the citizens of CA to sue the DOJ for misrepresenting the laws and working against the residents of CA instead of just enforcing the laws as they are written? i am very tired of the CA DOJ and their lies.
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

As soon as I get it, I'll post it.

I spoke with the A.G.'s office and I think I now have an idea as to what the deal is. E.A. sells stripped lowers and lowers with grips and other parts pre-attached. One of those parts (for example) is a pistol grip, which we all know is 'evil'. So, presumably, the A.G. says in the letter, that E.A. sells restricted items per CA Penal Code sections 12276 (e) and (f), etc. and to stop selling to CA residents AT ONCE! (Or they'll be in deep soup).

I assume further that it is worded in a manner that is vague and threatening, thus discouraging them from objecting. Also to prevent them from selling their totally legal stripped lowers.

@ chuck1:
The reason why I want to buy from E.A. as opposed to Stag, etc.; It's all about money. E.A.'s lowers are something 30% cheaper than Stag for example. (Only $85 for a pair of standard 5.56 lowers.) I don't think they don't want my business. I  just think they're scarred and or confused.
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#14]
height=8
Quoted:
Read this thread from calguns. There's quite a few lowers that are still off-list in California, I wasn't aware that they added more the the ban list. I just ordered six from Rainier Arms, they are getting shipped to my FFL in Santa Ana.

It's pure BS as far I know they can't add anymore to the list.
do what ftwm said and read calguns there you will get all the info.
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks. Calguns has a lot of useful info.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

I spoke with the A.G.'s office and I think I now have an idea as to what the deal is. E.A. sells stripped lowers and lowers with grips and other parts pre-attached. One of those parts (for example) is a pistol grip, which we all know is 'evil'. So, presumably, the A.G. says in the letter, that E.A. sells restricted items per CA Penal Code sections 12276 (e) and (f), etc. and to stop selling to CA residents AT ONCE! (Or they'll be in deep soup).

I assume further that it is worded in a manner that is vague and threatening, thus discouraging them from objecting. Also to prevent them from selling their totally legal stripped lowers.

@ chuck1:
The reason why I want to buy from E.A. as opposed to Stag, etc.; It's all about money. E.A.'s lowers are something 30% cheaper than Stag for example. (Only $85 for a pair of standard 5.56 lowers.) I don't think they don't want my business. I  just think they're scarred and or confused.

I knew it was about cost. Another member a couple of months ago asked about the same receivers and gave the same story about EA not shipping here but the only reason he wanted them was because of cost.

By the time you pay the shipping, transfer fees and dros you are near or at the cost of receivers that are already stocked, that is unless you have a FFL that will actually do the transfer for a reasonable rate.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

@ chuck1:

I knew it was about cost. Another member a couple of months ago asked about the same receivers and gave the same story about EA not shipping here but the only reason he wanted them was because of cost.

By the time you pay the shipping, transfer fees and dros you are near or at the cost of receivers that are already stocked, that is unless you have a FFL that will actually do the transfer for a reasonable rate.

True, But if EA set up an Autherized dealer, say...CWS.  They could still sell stripped lowers or properly configured complete lowers at or below the cost of others.  

Whats happening here is CA DOJ/AG is in violation of commerce law. They are threatning one while allowing others to sell.  EA is losing business for fear of an expensive bogus lawsuit.

If I was at EA, I would send a letter stating this to the DoJ , AG & DoT.  I would also ask them (all three Agencies) for a reason my company could not LEGALLY  ship and sell lowers in CA.  I would ask why others are allowed to ship and sell the same item.  Their answer to my request would dictate my next legal action. (The DoT is now incharge of interstate commerce).

Once again they attack our loop-holes, we NEED to attack theirs...
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#18]
height=8
Quoted:

True, But if EA set up an Autherized dealer, say...CWS.  They could still sell stripped lowers or properly configured complete lowers at or below the cost of others.  

Whats happening here is CA DOJ/AG is in violation of commerce law. They are threatning one while allowing others to sell.  EA is losing business for fear of an expensive bogus lawsuit.

If I was at EA, I would send a letter stating this to the DoJ , AG & DoT.  I would also ask them (all three Agencies) for a reason my company could not LEGALLY  ship and sell lowers in CA.  I would ask why others are allowed to ship and sell the same item.  Their answer to my request would dictate my next legal action. (The DoT is now incharge of interstate commerce).

Once again they attack our loop-holes, we NEED to attack theirs...Quite true. They are in communication with the NRA, but that's all I've heard as yet. I'll update as I have info.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 1:31:14 AM EDT
[#19]
So, any letter yet?
Link Posted: 10/23/2008 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#20]
height=8
Quoted:
So, any letter yet?

Nope. I even called them again, but they said that they're very busy right now. (The same people work in the machine shop as the office) and when they find it, they say they'll get back to me.

I've started looking for another option. Right now my current best option is the one from Doublestar. Their price (through bpcustomshop.com) is $106, includes shipping. Anyone know of a better price from someone else?
Link Posted: 10/24/2008 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#21]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Yay!  Happy happy happy!  DoJerks get to go to court for a nice spanking!  *Happy dance*
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top