Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2008 8:24:04 PM EDT
I have a California buyer interested in my unmodified Yugo 59/66, fixed 10 round mag, with grenade launcher. Is Yugo 59/66 and grenade launcher legal in Califirnia? Can I mail direct if buyer has C&R? Or has to be FFL? Where to find California gun list and law?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The grenade launcher would have to be removed or otherwise permanently rendered inoperable. Yugo 59/66's are not C&R eligible in California, as California C&R is 50 years or older, so no it would have to go to a FFL. Otherwise it it perfectly legal here.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 1:27:32 PM EDT
[#2]
G/Ls on M59/66s have to be permanently disabled or removed; there's no problem with the rest of the rifle.  

[My InterOrdnance-supplied M59/66 had its G/L disabled by a welding a steel sleeve around it'.]

The Yugo M59/66's G/L is intrinsically a CA-defined 'destructive device'.   It should not be possessed within CA even separately from the firearm.  CA purchasers should not just have it removed and sent separately, as this is not a matter relating to 'constructive possession' - even having that G/L and no gun with it has a chance of being construed as possessing a DD in CA.

So, send the M59/66 to CA FFL  either
(1) with a permanently-welded sleeve over its muzzle device;
(2) with its G/L muzzle device removed & retained and *not* sent separately.

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The grenade launcher would have to be removed or otherwise permanently rendered inoperable. Yugo 59/66's are not C&R eligible in California, as California C&R is 50 years or older, so no it would have to go to a FFL. Otherwise it it perfectly legal here.  

California uses the Federal definition for C&R firearms.  If the Feds say a firearm is C&R, then so does California.  California considers the Yugo 59/66 a C&R firearm but does not allow it in California because of the grenade launcher which the Penal Code defines as a "destructive device."

The 50 year confusion comes from the fact that only C&R rifles or shotguns over 50 years old can be transferred without dealer involvement or be shipped to C&R FFL holders from out of state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top