Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 12:02:13 PM EDT
I shooting some wolf 9mm 115 gr. FMJ today and noticed that 3 out of the 50 didn't go off.  The primers were struck and didn't go off.  I wait a little bit and then put them back in and they fired the second time around.  I've never had this firearm ever do that or even jam as far as I can remember so I figure it's probably the ammo.  Any thoughts as to why?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:54:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I would look to your hammer spring being too light or your firing pin return spring being too heavy or even the firing pin being too short.

I would guess that Wolf is using a thicker primer metal and/or Berdan primed. Both or either require a substantial hit from a firing pin to start the events.

The question is do you want a firearm that can reliably ignite all ammo?

Or will you settle for one that you must confine to certain ammo and keep it well cleaned?

One other choice because it could be a bad batch of ammo. Get someone else to try it and see their results.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:06:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Hard Primers desigen for heavy hammer blows . I've got a BLR .308 that wont set them off 100% (short little hammer throw)

My 9mm Kel Tec is about 95% reliable with isnt good enough to use . but they go the seccond pull .
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Wolf is known for hard primers.  Just make sure it didnt go off (squib) and hit it again, it should go the 2nd time around (or just hit it again and again)

That's why Wolf is STRICTLY blasting ammo and should never be used for SHTF or any other life dependant application.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:31:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a Kimber Target II in 9mm that would fail to fire with WOLF ammo.  I traced the problem to the stupid Series II safety parts being out of time and a weak mainspring.  I removed the safety parts and replaced the factory mainspring with a 25 pound spring from Brownell's.  Now the gun works perfectly with the WOLF fodder.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Try extra strong firing pin spring.  It will send virtually all primers to go ignite.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Wolf is known for hard primers.  Just make sure it didnt go off (squib) and hit it again, it should go the 2nd time around (or just hit it again and again)

That's why Wolf is STRICTLY blasting ammo and should never be used for SHTF or any other life dependant application.

I'll second that!  I had to send back a case of 7.62 wolf ammo due to bad primers.  Firing pin would actually pierce holes in them.  Accuracy very poor too.  Not impressed with Russian ammo at all.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Yea, I'm glad I only had 2 50 rd. boxes.  I went and shot some through a different gun today(kel-tec 9mm) and it did the same freakin' thing.  It works pretty good in my ak so I'll just stick to that.  I guess I'll crack open my wolf .223 and use it for blasting.  I'll save my other stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top