Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 1/19/2009 3:46:24 PM EST
Which is a better gun? wilson professional model or a ed brown special forces carry? The wilson is about 400 bucks more in price. It will be used for concelled carry.

Link Posted: 1/19/2009 4:36:06 PM EST
You need to add a poll, sir.    

I vote for the Ed Brown. Either way, you get a damn fine gun.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 4:45:13 PM EST
Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk, Brown.......
After much research I bought the Special Forces.
No failures of any kind, scary accurate and flawless fit and finish.
Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 5:44:01 PM EST
Both, I couldnt decide anything other than what order to order them. I went Ed Brown and Les Baer first, and next is Wilson and SA Pro. At this level theyre all great guns you cant go wrong picking anyone.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 7:02:34 PM EST
Neither is a "better" gun.  They are both great guns, which you like better may be another story.

The Ed Brown will feel different from the Wilson.

I personally like a Baer...

But I'll not knock a Brown or a Wilson.

I will say between the two you listed.  I like the Brown better.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 6:22:49 AM EST
Wilson sells FAR more 1911's.

Ed Brown makes about 500 1911's a year whereas Wilson makes about 1,700.  

Wilson is typically more popular because their firearms are more accessible.

The Ed Browns have a little more attention to fine detail.  The edges are more rounded, the bottom of the mag well where the checkering comes to an end is less abrupt on the Brown.

Functionally they are pretty much the same.  Either will serve you well.  I would be proud to carry either.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 11:10:06 AM EST
I don't think you could possibly go wrong with eirther.  Anecdotal reports give Wilson the edge on customer service should you need it.  But, my next high end 1911 will likely be an Ed Brown.  I just like the looks and don't care much for the 30 LPI checkering Wilson's come with.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 12:21:55 PM EST
I own a Wilson CQB. No problems at all. I have heard good things about EB, but no experience.

I will say the Customer Service from Wilson is second to none, according to every forum I've ever read on the subject,  should you ever need it.

At this price range, I think it's a matter of which looks better to you. You really can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 5:24:50 PM EST
I went to a local gunshop and got to fire both a Wilson CQB and Ed Brown Special Forces.

I Can't tell you why I picked it, but the very next day I ordered an Ed Brown Special Forces of my own.  Put on some VZ Aliens grips and a Milt Sparks versa max II holster and this is one gun I will never sell, give away, or allow to be taken from me, except one day to my son. I just didn't get the same wam and fuzzy feeling from the Wilson.  Can't tell you any particular reason why though.

Wilson makes spectacular weapons though, from what I hear.  See if you can lay your hands on one of each and see which one you pick.  Can't really go wrong with either one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 3:42:13 AM EST
By online comparisons I would like to order an Ed Brown.
Will have to feel one first.
A birthday is coming up.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 2:09:55 AM EST
I have a Wilson CQB and love it.  That does nothing for ytou though.  I held both pistols and ea. had there own distinct feel.  I truely think it is in your best interest to hold/shoot ea. pistol.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 1:13:37 PM EST
be happy with either
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 1:28:20 PM EST
I own an example from each.  A fullsize Wilson CQB and a Kobra Commander.  Well, I gave the Kobra to my dad as he didn't have a high-end 1911 and he's earned it.  You can't go wrong either way.  Whatever suits your fancy.

Oh, and I have had to use the customer service from both companies (Brown and Wilson) and they were both top notch!  Brown even refinished my gun for free while it was there and I didn't even ask him to.  I think he gave me some free stuff as well.  It came back looking brand new.  Wilson treated me like a king and gave me 2 free ETM mags.

Both companies promptly fixed the problem I had in 1 return and turned the gun around very quickly.

So, either one would be great.  Brown has a bit more exclusivity to it and that's very cool.  I find the trigger on mine to be waaaayyyy too light for my liking though.  I've bump-fired it at the range quite a few times and it scared the hell out of me.  Overall it's probably a prettier gun than the Wilson.  My favorite is my Wilson, but that may be more due to "emotional attachment" than anything of any real import.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:31:03 PM EST
I doubt there is a wrong answer between the two.

I bought an Ed Brown Special Forces though, and I love it.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:44:56 PM EST
I would go with the Ed Brown, mainly because his shop is 10 miles from my house
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:34:13 PM EST
I handled both guns and ended up buying the Ed Brown Kobra Carry. I like the look and feel of the Brown better and since this is my CCW I found the bobtail makes it much easier to conceal.

Besides, his shop is nearby so I had to go with the hometown boy.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 1:44:29 AM EST
they are nearly the same in quality, just fitted very slightly differently
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 2:19:01 AM EST
I'm going to have to vote for the Wilson Combat. Here are mine, a 9mm CQB fullsize and a Stealth Lightweight in .45

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:37:30 AM EST
This is a simple issue with a simple resolution. Fact: Both are high end guns and both Ed Brown and Bill Wilson are people of reputation. Their companies are staffed by intelligible people that represent the companies integrity. One company is larger than the other with albeit more staff. So here is how I would make my decision.... Try calling the two companies with your questions and concerns. See if they are eager to talk to you about your shooting style and skill level. Discuss what you will be using the weapon for.

Now why would you do this ? Because your going to have to call them after the sale for questions and solutions concerning your weapon. Suppose you want to make some changes down the road to your weapon that would reflect a change in your weapons use. See if they can make you comfortable with your buying decision without referring you to their website. I have had experiences with both companies and I only buy parts from one, but that's me. YOU DECIDE.....and remember..have fun !!
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:20:42 PM EST
I just made this choice last year, I was very lucky to get and hold about 30 of each of the majors BAER, BROWN, WILSON, NIGHTHAWK, to be honest in that price range they were all very nice. I personally bought a Ed Brown sf w/rail stainless gen. III, and Kobra carry, stainless gen. III, they fit my hand better than anything else, and I preferred the way the guns were finished better, also he makes his slides and frames in house, no outsourcing. I carry the SF everyday for work and off duty my Kobra, and absolutely trust them. I know the Wilson is fine gun, but in my opinion it looked too much like a Kimber (but fit much better), but I also know he offers more custom features if you don't see exactly, what you are looking for. I also played with a couple Springfield Professionals, again very nice fitted alittle too tight for my taste though, I also believe you ought to take a look at Baer as believe he offers some amazing bangs for the dollar especially the concept line. Now I know you only ask about Brown and Wilson but I think you do yourself a injustice by not looking at the other companies I listed, I personally will be buying the Baer Thunder Ranch Hard chromed next. But no matter which you pick it is a slippery slope because those nice semi-customs are very addicting, on the plus though they have saved me money because I no longer look at anything lower priced and they are expensive enough too keep me from buying all I want.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:47:56 PM EST
Quoted:
I just made this choice last year, I was very lucky to get and hold about 30 of each of the majors BAER, BROWN, WILSON, NIGHTHAWK, to be honest in that price range they were all very nice. I personally bought a Ed Brown sf w/rail stainless gen. III, and Kobra carry, stainless gen. III, they fit my hand better than anything else, and I preferred the way the guns were finished better, also he makes his slides and frames in house, no outsourcing. I carry the SF everyday for work and off duty my Kobra, and absolutely trust them. I know the Wilson is fine gun, but in my opinion it looked too much like a Kimber (but fit much better), but I also know he offers more custom features if you don't see exactly, what you are looking for. I also played with a couple Springfield Professionals, again very nice fitted alittle too tight for my taste though, I also believe you ought to take a look at Baer as believe he offers some amazing bangs for the dollar especially the concept line. Now I know you only ask about Brown and Wilson but I think you do yourself a injustice by not looking at the other companies I listed, I personally will be buying the Baer Thunder Ranch Hard chromed next. But no matter which you pick it is a slippery slope because those nice semi-customs are very addicting, on the plus though they have saved me money because I no longer look at anything lower priced and they are expensive enough too keep me from buying all I want.

I truly don't have a dog in the fight, but I would like to point out that Wilson also makes his frames and slides "in-house" at his own facility.  This has not always been the case, but is so for the last few years.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 1:05:11 PM EST
Good to know I know he used to get his slides from a company in Stephensville, TX. but I heard there was a split with that company, I don't know any details. I do wonder where Nighthawk gets theirs? I know most of their smiths are ex-Wilson smiths. I also am curious on Rock Rivers 1911s I know they are on hiatus right now, but most of their smiths were ex-Baer employees, I wanted one of their next but they stopped production because of the obamanation and focused on ARs. I really just gave him some ideas from someone who spent a year deciding and researching, My hope is that the original poster is happy with his choice and not buying what others think is best. Really the best advice is to handle each one you are thinking about if you can, and pick your favorite.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 1:09:02 PM EST
Quoted:
Good to know I know he used to get his slides from a company in Stephensville, TX. but I heard there was a split with that company, I don't know any details. I do wonder where Nighthawk gets theirs? I know most of their smiths are ex-Wilson smiths. I also am curious on Rock Rivers 1911s I know they are on hiatus right now, but most of their smiths were ex-Baer employees, I wanted one of their next but they stopped production because of the obamanation and focused on ARs. I really just gave him some ideas from someone who spent a year deciding and researching, My hope is that the original poster is happy with his choice and not buying what others think is best. Really the best advice is to handle each one you are thinking about if you can, and pick your favorite.

Amen to that last sentiment!
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 1:22:29 PM EST
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen to that last sentiment!

Hallelujah!

It's not like it's a choice with a wrong answer anyways.  Win or win.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:43:53 PM EST
Honestly, flip a quarter to pick. Or the one you like more for looks. Either are very, very good.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 7:01:01 AM EST
Quoted:
Which is a better gun? wilson professional model or a ed brown special forces carry? The wilson is about 400 bucks more in price. It will be used for concelled carry.

Have you considered Springfield Custom, or are you set on these two?
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:20:27 AM EST
I have had several 1911's and just now bought a Wilson CQB Tactical Elite LE it has got to be the finest 1911 that I have ever shot, the quality of the firearm is unreal.  Never shot or held a brown here very good things you should be fine with whichever you chose.
Top Top