Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 10:19:00 AM EDT
Ive read ruger suplied the frames,but thats bull cause the vaquero/blackhawk frames were bigger before ruger recenly introduced the Vaquero 2.The trigger is an offset spur just like their(Colt),SSA.I paid 450.00 back around 1997 or so,but have recenly seen factory blued examples with walnut grips for 900.00.SSA were 1200 bucks.
how long did colt make the cowboy?did whats the difference between the cowboy and the SSA?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The Cowboy frame was made in the Czech Republic, then finished at the Colt plant, all other parts were made and finished at Colt.

The Cowboy was made from 1998 to about 2000.  It was discontinued at the same time that Colt discontinued a number of guns in 2000.

The Cowboy was a radically different gun than the SAA.
The Cowboy had a modern transfer-bar action, and many parts were made of castings or MIM-type molded steel.
The "case hardened" finish was reported to be NOT real color casing but a process similar to that used by Ruger on their Vaquero.
Since it had a transfer-bar action, it could be carried safely with 6 rounds.

The SAA is made of forged steel, totally Colt made, and has their highest level of fit and finish.
It has the original single action mechanism as invented in 1836, and perfected in 1872.

The SAA is made and priced as a historical gun still made like it was made in the 1800's.
The Cowboy was an attempt at a "budget" single action selling at much less than the "Rolls Royce" SAA.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#2]
hey cool.thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one in 4 3/4 BBL length and it is, without question, the best fitted SAA type revolver I have ever owned. NO play, NO endshake, NO misalignment, and it shot perfectly to POI out of the box. I have NEVER, EVER seen a Colt SAA that was built as tightly. First, 2nd or third generation.

It was a $500 dollar gun, not a $1200 gun and the guts were updated but it got a bum rap and is much better then one is led to believe. The BBL and cylinder is finished just as nicely, the frame [colorcase] is a bit rougher but perfectly acceptable.

I personally am looking for another 4 3/4 length one but they are few and far between in that configuration. The 5.5 are what was mostly made.

If the Colt SAA was built as well as the Cowboy was I'd buy one. However, I have yet to see a new one that I considered acceptable as far a lockup and play was concerned. All were not fitted very well and had way to much slop and drag from the hand. My Cowboy after 500 to 700 rounds still does not even have a drag mark on the cylinder.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top