Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 6:05:40 AM EDT
Ive looked over the forum, and not entirely sure what the "idiot scratch" is. Seeing as i just bought my first 1911, id like to know what it is so i can maybe not do it?

thanks
Teaky
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:18:14 AM EDT
The scratch you can make when you're putting the slide lock back.

It usually looks like a this )
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:22:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2009 6:24:25 AM EDT by 87GN]
Can't see it so well in this photo, but where the scratch near the trigger is, extending upwards to the slide stop, is the traditional "idiot scratch".

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:52:53 AM EDT
This pic was in another thread.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:23:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Teakyman:
Ive looked over the forum, and not entirely sure what the "idiot scratch" is. Seeing as i just bought my first 1911, id like to know what it is so i can maybe not do it?

thanks
Teaky

take your time putting everything back together.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:27:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2009 7:27:41 AM EDT by TVLL62CAL]

sweet jeebus !...you really gotta try hard to do that......
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:24:23 AM EDT
i have been putting together 1911 for a few years, i feel very confident doing it, i am always carefull and had never put an idiot scratch on a gun...

then for his birthday my brother got a new used 1911...no idiot scratch, i was showing him how to put it together, i told him about the idiot scratch and to be very carfull, just after that i slipped and the bolt catch slipped all the way up over the slide so i put a huge semi circle idiot mark over his SLIDE...i felt like an ass...luckily my brother is cool and did not shoot me...but i felt like an idiot...so i have only caused the idiot scratch once, but it was a doozy for sure
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:13:43 AM EDT
How does someone manage to get a scratch in the finger relief? I understand a small scratch (less than 1/4") just under the slide stop, but those ?!?!?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:15:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Heineken:
i have been putting together 1911 for a few years, i feel very confident doing it, i am always carefull and had never put an idiot scratch on a gun...

then for his birthday my brother got a new used 1911...no idiot scratch, i was showing him how to put it together, i told him about the idiot scratch and to be very carfull, just after that i slipped and the bolt catch slipped all the way up over the slide so i put a huge semi circle idiot mark over his SLIDE...i felt like an ass...luckily my brother is cool and did not shoot me...but i felt like an idiot...so i have only caused the idiot scratch once, but it was a doozy for sure

I'm with ya... I done it myself.. Always ever so careful. It will never happen to me... Then Shawhammy!!!!!!!!!!!! There it was.. I threw the pistol to the floor in disbelief and hollard out " Who done this to my PISTOL !!!!!! There wasn't nothing but silence.. I was home alone..... I had a few beers to ease to pain.... She's my scared whore now.... WarDawg
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:51:23 AM EDT
Aptly named.

Top Top