Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 10:36:51 AM EDT
How can they get such high velocities and not enter into the +P or +P+ range?  How come the big ammo companies don't do the same then?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I think overpenetration might be the issue on full power 10mm rounds.  Apparently, 180 grain travelling around 1,000 fps is supposed to be the sweet spot for the 10mm (.40) round on people, so most manufacturers detune 10mm to .40 cal power.  To make it more controllable and less likely to overpenetrate.

I guess.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#2]
So are you saying that the big ammo companies deliberately keep their velocity down for fear of overpenetration?  Interesting.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think overpenetration might be the issue on full power 10mm rounds.  Apparently, 180 grain travelling around 1,000 fps is supposed to be the sweet spot for the 10mm (.40) round on people, so most manufacturers detune 10mm to .40 cal power.  To make it more controllable and less likely to overpenetrate.

I guess.

A 180 jhp at around 1250fps works for me. Some of the 10MM screamers are with way lighter boolets right?

Why have a muscle car and put regular gas in it?

Danny
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#5]
My bedside surprise is a Glock 20 loaded with DoubleTap 165 gr Golden Sabers clocked @ 1425 fps.

In my highly scientific laundry-soap-and-milk-jugs-filled-with-water experiments in the back yard, the round blew the first  jug apart and turned it completely inside out. I've never seen a handgun round perform so explosively. Total penetration was 4 jugs, with a major dent in the 5th. Expansion was around .80".

This is REALLY good 10mm ammo.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out 10mmtalk.com, Mike at DoubleTap knows what he is doing.  No garage assembly here!

www.10mmtalk.com
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Check out 10mmtalk.com, Mike at DoubleTap knows what he is doing.  No garage assembly here!

www.10mmtalk.com

+1
You can even talk to Mike on the phone anytime.
He has a good setup there in UT. Lots of R&D time.
Give em' a call. I use his ammo exlusively in my 10mm's.
Clean ammo too. LOW flash. 1400+ fps out of a G29.
Try his sample pack. You will like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top