Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2004 8:11:51 PM EDT
I was curious what handguns would be comparable to the HK socom/mark23/mk23 whatever name you wanna call it.  

Im mainly referring to accuracy and reliability, but i also liek the idea of the fixed sights.  I dont know how possible it is for me to pick one up so i wanna see what other guns there are like it, if any with fixed sights.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Accuracy? Maybe a REALLY trick Glock 21 or a well built custom or semi custom 1911. Reliability...see above. Why not retrofit fixed sights to the HK?

PS, the Glock sucks and you cant get the Mk23 in Kali anyway.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#2]
How about a S&W  model 65 revolver.  More accurate and more reliable.  Fixed sights.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#3]
So doing something like getting the HK tactical then throwing on some fixed night sites or just fixed sites in general would be a pretty good bang for your buck?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:48:25 AM EDT
[#4]
What do you want to do with it? the standard USP is very accurate as it comes from the box, and the Tactical is a bit more so. Any good...really good... gunsmith can build a 1911 that will function fine and be more accurate than either, but it will cost you a lot more. If you want to play games, the 1911 is the ticket for IPSC and the Glock for IDPA. The standard 1911s, Glocks and USPs are service pistols and trade off some guilt-edged accuracy for less expense and more reliability. Damned few people can actually USE the difference between a 3-4" pistol and a 1 1/2" to 2" pistol at 50yd. but the difference in cost to shrink a group that extra inch or two is huge, and only obtainable with the correct ammo in a machine rest.

If you get the Tactical, you may or may not have an issue with sight heights if you change them out. I think Novak is making sights for the H&Ks now and they may be able to tell you what issues, if any, you would run into with this.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
PS, the Glock sucks and you cant get the Mk23 in Kali anyway.

Don't know much about Kali law but I would imagine that you can't get the Mk23 because of the barrel which would also make the tactical illegal. My buddy has a .40 USP in Kali and the only difference between that and Mk23 is the threaded barrel, O-ring, and recoil system. That said, the only difference between a legal gun and illegal would be the fact that the 23 can take a suppressor rather easily.

As for accuracy; the 1911 is more accurate, generally, because of the trigger pull. The HK has the worst double pull out of any pistol that I've shot. If you want a good "service" pistol with good accuracy, I would recomend a Sig 220.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#7]
The Tactical does come with a match trigger, high sights, and a threaded barrel.  I've got one and a Mark 23 (plus four other HK's).  The Mark 23 is the most accurate pistol I own.  Even better than my Sig P226 Sport.  Also, if you want fixed sights, the Mark 23 comes with fixed sights.  The tactical has adjustable.  I will tell you that I CCW my Tactical on a regular basis when it's jacket weather.  Heck, that's what I have on today.  I've never tried with the Mark 23.  Just too big.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#8]
P.S.  The trigger pull on the Tactical is pretty good.  Almost as good as my black stainless Springfield.  Nice and crisp at about 5 lbs.  The Mark 23 doesn't have quite as good a pull, but at 10 yards standing I can still make a big hole with 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#9]
If a SOCOM is what you want, and have the money it can be done.  Capitol City Firearms in Virginia is making O-ring barrels for USP's that would allow you to have the O ring function without the threaded barrel.  You could also have a match trigger put into a USP.  Send it to the factory (about 150 with shipping) or have an HK certified armorer do it to the tune of about 125 (the parts will be more difficult to come by).  And you'll keep your warranty in tact.  

That could all be done for about 1000 to 1100 including the price of the gun.  CCF also makes a Kali legal barrel for a HK SOCOM.  But, I'm not sure how you'd go about it.  Probably have to order the gun from CCF and have them swap the barrel before they ship it to your FFL.  As long as the original barrel isn't in the gun it would be OK.  Then if you move to a free state, you can just swap out the barrel again.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How about a S&W  model 65 revolver.  More accurate and more reliable.  Fixed sights.

Not "Tactical" (expensive and black) enough.

[Sienfeld] Not thats there's anything wrong with that. [/Sienfeld]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks for the feedback guys, im checking with some dealers in the area on normal usps and what they'll run and i'll also get in touch with CCF
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top