Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2012 1:50:39 PM EDT
decided I'm going to go with a j-frame to carry. Picked up a model 438 and really like it. Need to get a holster for it now. I'd like to stay away from the pocket holster options if possible-what is best???
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Horsehide crossbreed super tuck. You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 1:58:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Here one I made for mine spring clip in the backside.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 7:34:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Comp-tac 2 o'clock
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#4]
crossbreed supertuck ordered!
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I think a J Frame in an AIWB holster is damn hard to beat.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
crossbreed supertuck ordered!

Let us know how you like it
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#7]
where you plan on carrying it, if not the pocket/ankle?

for the hip, prefer a more capable handgun
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is relative to ones training.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

very true. better choice of words: more capacity, better sights, ease of use, etc. would even go for a more full size revolver.

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

very true. better choice of words: more capacity, better sights, ease of use, etc. would even go for a more full size revolver.

ANNNND here we go! the original question had to do with a IWB for a Jframe. I have different options but was wondering what the favorite is for this specific piece. thanks for the info though!

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I too, prefer a more capable semi-auto considering a full j-frame and two reloads is one mag of most 9mm. However, when activity or environment requires lower profile and lighter weight I'll do the j-frame on the hip for consistent draw.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear ya, Whenever I can I carry my g19. but a J frame is great if your doing something that a full size pistol is just to large to pack around.
and like the other poster said, its nice to have the same draw if you normally carry you other weapons on your hip.

OP, any crossbreed style holster will serve you well.
There are also the full kydex types of IWB holsters that alot of folks like.

"the best" holster is very hard to peg down. each person has a different body type and prefer some holsters over others.
Id get a crossbreed or something of the same design [reds holsters is a good choice at $50 with fast shipping]
if that doesn't work for you, its really just a matter of buying a trying different ones to see what you prefer.

If you dont want to wait on the crossbreed, give Reds a try. I have one of his G19 holsters and its quality levels are just as good if not better then crossbreed and you
can have him customize it for you.
I ordered mine on a monday [just a basic version, no customization] and had it on wednesday [im in the same state however.. he had it sent out the same day.

http://redsholsters.webs.com/

have been wearing mine for a few months and its been great

my reds holster the day it came in
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#13]
The only thing I can offer after having carried a j-frame for awhile is to make sure the holster profile is small, if you're going to have it on the waist.

If the holster is so large that it makes the J-Frame just as big as a G19 or 1911, then perhaps one of those with a small trigger-guard holster will do.

As for going from pocket to waist carry, I have a remora that was sold to do both, but ain't the best at either, but allows me a few options with one holster. I added a belt clip to help it be more stable, and its own material catches in the pocket. I'll try to post a picture for you later.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a Crossbreed off the seconds list for my Glock 19 and love it.

But for my 642, I use a nemesis pocket holster and it is invisible in a back pocket. Easiest gun to conceal I have ever had.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#15]
FIST K-1. Works really well for me AIWB. The 2 o'clock didn't work for me at all. My next one will likely be : Bobby Mac's Holsters

-JC
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:55:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Milt Sparks VM II here with a Model 36
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#17]
DeSantis Nemesis IWB. Tried the Crossbreed and hated it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Side Guard. Good holsters at a fair price.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:47:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I like the Summer Comfort from Galco. Little gun, little holster. Crossbreed types seem like a whole lot of holster for a j frame. I have used the Uncle Mikes el cheapo, too. They stay put pretty well.
I dont see much need to wear a huge, hard ass kydex holster just to be able to re-holster or have somersault retention. If I need to reholster my CCW, that would mean I had to use it, Id just put the gun in my pocket.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I carry my g19. but a J frame is great if your doing something that a full size pistol is just to large to pack around.
and like the other poster said, its nice to have the same draw if you normally carry you other weapons on your hip.

OP, any crossbreed style holster will serve you well.
There are also the full kydex types of IWB holsters that alot of folks like.

"the best" holster is very hard to peg down. each person has a different body type and prefer some holsters over others.
Id get a crossbreed or something of the same design [reds holsters is a good choice at $50 with fast shipping]
if that doesn't work for you, its really just a matter of buying a trying different ones to see what you prefer.

If you dont want to wait on the crossbreed, give Reds a try. I have one of his G19 holsters and its quality levels are just as good if not better then crossbreed and you
can have him customize it for you.
I ordered mine on a monday [just a basic version, no customization] and had it on wednesday [im in the same state however.. he had it sent out the same day.

http://redsholsters.webs.com/

have been wearing mine for a few months and its been great

my reds holster the day it came in
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb102/dan16802/DSC03864.jpg

I agree with Dan.  I purchased one (based on his review) for my 637 and love it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top